• ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Expand your mind a bit....

Seriously? Not sure if you are belittling my post, but if you are--maybe you should try reading it first. I believe I allowed for about any possibility, just questioning IF the laws of nature would limit it OR not. INGO. So quick to think that everyone is dumber then them. If I wasn't addicted I'd quit today.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Seriously? Not sure if you are belittling my post, but if you are--maybe you should try reading it first. I believe I allowed for about any possibility, just questioning IF the laws of nature would limit it OR not. INGO. So quick to think that everyone is dumber then them. If I wasn't addicted I'd quit today.

Not trying to insult or belittle you at all.

Maybe you colored the text with your own preconceived notions?

I was simply commenting that "life" could be so much stranger that we have even considered. Maybe I should have said "Let's expand on that thought a bit", but I'm lazy, and this is the Internet. Bonjour.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, sure.
    Hebrews 11:3 says, "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."

Worlds. Not world. Worlds... Plural.

King James? Not too far off.

The Greek word is aion "αιωνασ", here. The word is indeed plural, and can be translated as age or universe (as most modern translations do). However, if the unknown author was intending to use this as an indication of multiple "worlds" as we think, I would presume that the word cosmos would better fit that role.

You can indeed argue that this context means Earth and the stars and planets, etc. (I'd agree as do many) However, to carry that to the next level of populated planets is reading far more into the text - a very dangerous practice.

Personally, I'll say that the belief in aliens stems from Humanism is therefore bordering on a religious belief. Many search for ET's in order to validate their atheist/agnostic beliefs. In my worldview, the concept of alien life cheapens the the value of human life.

(Since I'm treading dangerous waters, I'll make this my only post on the subject)

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I'm not sure how any extraterrestrial life would cheapen the value of human life any more than we devalue it daily, but I think I get your meaning. I don't see the existence of life outside of our own little bubble as cheapening the uniqueness of our little blue marble. I would think that it would expand it. To know that we're not alone in the vastness of the ever-expanding universe would be comforting to me. Even if they were ravenous, resource devouring, hostiles... okay.. Maybe not that far, but still...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Probe crashed into earth killing the dinosaurs.

real-life-philosoraptor.jpeg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Bump for freaking awesome..........

hudf_300dpi.jpg

Located southwest of Orion in the southern-hemisphere constellation Fornax, the rectangular image is 2.4arcminutes to an edge,[SUP][4][/SUP] or 3.4 arcminutes diagonally. This is approximately one tenth of the angular diameterof a full moon viewed from Earth (which is less than 34 arcminutes),[SUP][5][/SUP] smaller than a 1 mm by 1 mm square of paper held at 1 meter away, and equal to roughly one thirteen-millionth of the total area of the sky.

That's 10,000 GALAXIES each containing untold millions of stars and untold millions of planets..... in an area of the sky over our heads that is 1/13 millionth of the total area of the sky...........

Last edited:

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Humans have a need to be in control. Some more than others. (Just look at politics). So to believe in the possibility of other life forms threatens that. To discount the existence of other intelligent life is fear on a base level. Fear of the unknown and that we might not be top dog. And an assumption that we would never meet is a step tword believing but still fears the notion. It may be true. But it is still an assumption.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    For me, what's mind-numbing is understanding that, all the galaxies in that image, plus all the matter in the remaining 12/13 millionths that would be photographed rotating the camera the remaining 359.9231 degrees, only comprises +/- 4% of the matter in the universe.

Frank Drake addressed the issue of the possibility of other life forms in the universe, and their capability and capacity to make contact with Earth-bound humans:

[FONT=&amp]N = R* [/FONT][FONT=&amp]x[/FONT][FONT=&amp] f[SUB]p [/SUB][/FONT][FONT=&amp]x[/FONT][FONT=&amp] n[SUB]e [/SUB][/FONT][FONT=&amp]x[/FONT][FONT=&amp] f[SUB]l [/SUB][/FONT][FONT=&amp]x[/FONT][FONT=&amp] f[SUB]i [/SUB][/FONT][FONT=&amp]x[/FONT][FONT=&amp] f[SUB]c[/SUB][/FONT][FONT=&amp]x[/FONT][FONT=&amp] L[/FONT]

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I've long thought that the universe is much to big for us to be the only intelligent species out their. Unfortunately I'll long be gone when man eventually gets it's act together and really starts to explore. I dare say if we would have get up our space program at the same pace that ended up with us landing on the moon, we'd have permanent bases on the moon by now.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My sister is a staunch believer in creationism and that there is only one planet where life exists. Her evidence is the fact that, as she puts it, the chances of life just happening they way it did is one in a million. I always point out that, with billions upon billions of stars out there, she is essentially admitting that there are millions of planets like earth. She is not impressed with my logic.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My sister is a staunch believer in creationism and that there is only one planet where life exists. Her evidence is the fact that, as she puts it, the chances of life just happening they way it did is one in a million. I always point out that, with billions upon billions of stars out there, she is essentially admitting that there are millions of planets like earth. She is not impressed with my logic.

Next time, tell her she's WAY off. 1:1000000 would be fantastic odds compared with reality.

Top Bottom