• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would go a slightly bigger gun than the airweights, like a Model 60 or an older Model 66. The added weight will make the recoil far softer for an older person. My daughter and wife love shooting my 66. You can get them in 2" barrels if you choose.

A trigger job will make them far easier to shoot in double action.

Nothing beats a nice S&W wheel gun. :)

catdaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I got the S&W .38 Bodyguard for my wife. She is not experienced at all shooting and the factory installed laser helps her. It's hammer less so the trigger pull is somewhat stiff but not unmanageable for her. The Bodyguard weighs more than one of S&W's air weights and I feel that it's easier to control. Also the grip is longer than the LCR and this aids in control as well. All in all the Bodyguard is a decent piece for the price. I've recently seen them for $369 at a local shop.

Lep36

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    North side
    My MIL is a gun hater - so I'm safe on that count. Wife just decided on the S&W bodyguard, it's a nice piece.. Personally I would get the trigger worked on , but she likes it as it! Happy wife - Happy Life!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I looked at a Taurus ultralight with the shrouded hammer and a Ruger LCR today. The Taurus cylinder didn't lock very tight and had a little bit of rotation. The LCR was even worse. The nose of the cylinder would wobble side to side. The Smith air weight she shot felt much tighter. I think I'm going to try to locate a Smith 638 and see how it feels.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I like my Taurus 85 but what ever you choose I would make sure it is +P rated so she can step up the performance if desired with out going to a .357 mag. I'm not sure the Charter is +P rated. :twocents:
    You might also look at the Ruger SP101 .38 spl.

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Here's a mother-in-law gun
    1070765422111.jpg

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Is Charter Arms comparable to Smith and others? What other snubbies would you guys recommend in the $400 range?

I own a Charter Arms revolver. They are not as refined and pretty as a Smith & Wesson. But it always works. In my opinion, they are a good revolver for the money.

Smith & Wesson is the best in most peoples opinion. They have a hundred and sixty years of experience building firearms. But if you buy new, they will be out of your price range. You might find something used in that price range. An option would be a 638 revolver with a shrouded hammer. But that would probably take some time to find used and in your price range.

Product: Model 638

Top Bottom