• ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I'd definitely have to change the bars to mini apes or something though
    I sat on one at B&E in Valpo once and it wasn't totally comfortable with the stock bars. But then I'm also considering moving away from cruisers for maneuverability. I used to scrape the pegs on my Shadow a lot.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    No I didn't crash!:rockwoot:Yesterday rode the Dragon north and south then the Cherohala Skyway west and east back to Robbinsville. Over 200 miles with more curves that I can count. It was my first time down there and it was better than I had imagined.

Tail Of the Dragon warning heading south
    View attachment 91396
    Rest stop a mile high on the Cherohala Skyway
    View attachment 91398

We were there last week. Weather wasn't the best but we still managed to get a good amount of riding in including one of our "counterclockwise big loops". We stay in Gatlinburg so we head west at the park welcome center and take the Little River Road to the Foothills Parkway. Take that until it ends at the lake and head to Vonore where we take 360 into Tellico Plains . We then ride the Cherohala to Robbinsville, where we take 129 back northwest to hit the Dragon then return to G-burg on the Foothills and Little River Road. It's about 230ish miles and takes most of the day to do.

We tried 2 times to get to Brevard via the BRP but thick clouds causing near zero visibility turned us back both times a few miles past 74 exit near Waynesville. I would love to do the whole BRP from Cherokee to it's beginning then back.

The riding down there is soooo nice..

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I sat on one at B&E in Valpo once and it wasn't totally comfortable with the stock bars. But then I'm also considering moving away from cruisers for maneuverability. I used to scrape the pegs on my Shadow a lot.

I'm 5'8" and the fit is near perfect for me. Taller riders usually go with 3" bar risers that keep the stock cables. My pegs were scaping a lot so I use that as an indicator to slow down.;)

We were there last week. Weather wasn't the best but we still managed to get a good amount of riding in including one of our "counterclockwise big loops". We stay in Gatlinburg so we head west at the park welcome center and take the Little River Road to the Foothills Parkway. Take that until it ends at the lake and head to Vonore where we take 360 into Tellico Plains . We then ride the Cherohala to Robbinsville, where we take 129 back northwest to hit the Dragon then return to G-burg on the Foothills and Little River Road. It's about 230ish miles and takes most of the day to do.

We tried 2 times to get to Brevard via the BRP but thick clouds causing near zero visibility turned us back both times a few miles past 74 exit near Waynesville. I would love to do the whole BRP from Cherokee to it's beginning then back.

The riding down there is soooo nice..

We had a great day Wednesday but it was raining Thursday as we were heading home. We hit a couple of cloudy patches at about 5000" on the Cherohala. Next year I think I'll stay a week or so and venture out more.

I've never ridden down there despite the fact that my daughter went to college in North Carolina and we were constantly driving through the area.

I keep hearing that Arkansas has great riding and fewer riders. True? False?

You should at least ride the Dragon and the Cherohala. The Dragon was 2nd gear for the Fury, topping out at 55mph then using the engine braking like a jake-brake! I was the most challenging ride in my 48 years of riding. The Cherohala was mostly 3rd gear and by far the most fun. Riding mid-week is the best and avoid weekends and holidays. Also check their calendar and avoid major events. No idea about Arkansas but I hear Lake of the Ozarks has some great rides.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I moved away from cruisers years ago. I'll never go back to that style of motorcycle.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    On my way into work today my linkage broke from my shifter to the transmission. Limped it home and switched from my 01 dyna to my 15 street 500. First time in months riding my street since moving on to my dyna. Wow the dyna is so much better bike from build quality to the bars to the controls everything. The street can be fun they just need to improve components and improve the bars and controls. Glad the linkage broke with me in 4th vs 1st.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    On my way into work today my linkage broke from my shifter to the transmission. Limped it home and switched from my 01 dyna to my 15 street 500. First time in months riding my street since moving on to my dyna. Wow the dyna is so much better bike from build quality to the bars to the controls everything. The street can be fun they just need to improve components and improve the bars and controls. Glad the linkage broke with me in 4th vs 1st.
    I spent some time with a Street 500 and was not impressed. It is fun but after the novelty wears off it’s just not a very good bike. On a different not, HD announced today they are discontinuing the Street and the Sportster series bikes in Europe.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

On the plus side you got to work on your clutch slipping skills. :rockwoot:I had to Google Street 500, that's a good looking bike. Has it been reliable?

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    On the plus side you got to work on your clutch slipping skills. :rockwoot:I had to Google Street 500, that's a good looking bike. Has it been reliable?
    it has been reliable but honestly the quality of the parts are much cheaper feeling. I bought it to learn on which it was good for that. I paid $3,500 for it and will be selling it next spring hope to get about that back. It has about 7,200 or so miles on it. Today did help with the clutch skills for sure.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    it has been reliable but honestly the quality of the parts are much cheaper feeling. I bought it to learn on which it was good for that. I paid $3,500 for it and will be selling it next spring hope to get about that back. It has about 7,200 or so miles on it. Today did help with the clutch skills for sure.

Sounds like it's served it's purpose. It's a nice looking bike I think. Is it build along side the larger bikes or are they subbed out for assembly?

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Good pic of me trying to keep the pegs off the ground.

dragon.jpg

Hanging out with the Dragon

costume.jpg

Last edited:

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Sounds like it's served it's purpose. It's a nice looking bike I think. Is it build along side the larger bikes or are they subbed out for assembly?
    yes built along side in York, PA. However I believe that is more assembly which until this week they were also assembling in India for the Asian and Australian markets.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I've never ridden down there despite the fact that my daughter went to college in North Carolina and we were constantly driving through the area.

I keep hearing that Arkansas has great riding and fewer riders. True? False?

Arkansas has great riding on the northern half of the state. Pick up an atlas and just look at the scenic designations, and yes there is much less traffic out there. We rode the Talimena Trail (?) west out of Mena Arkansas into Oklahoma, and rode the Twisted Sisters route out west of San Antonio. Both are great motorcycle rides.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    We rode from 8;00 am on Monday leaving Nachadocous Texas until 10:00 am Thursday crossing into southern Illinois before taking off raingear. In all my riding I've never ridden in 3 straight days of rain. My buddy was on a 16 TriGlide and we had to stop for him to get a new tire installed on the front. He thought he could make this trip on the old tire but with all the rain he was really needing to get a new one. He bought the only front tire we could find a three shops in Little Rock. Everyone said they had nothing in stock as far as front tires. He ended up with a Commander 2 which was the only tire Rodney's had for a front. The Harley shop and one other shop had none.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    We rode from 8;00 am on Monday leaving Nachadocous Texas until 10:00 am Thursday crossing into southern Illinois before taking off raingear. In all my riding I've never ridden in 3 straight days of rain. My buddy was on a 16 TriGlide and we had to stop for him to get a new tire installed on the front. He thought he could make this trip on the old tire but with all the rain he was really needing to get a new one. He bought the only front tire we could find a three shops in Little Rock. Everyone said they had nothing in stock as far as front tires. He ended up with a Commander 2 which was the only tire Rodney's had for a front. The Harley shop and one other shop had none.

Sounds like a great ride despite the rain. I hope your buddy got the verbal abuse he deserved for starting a trip on old tires. :ar15:

BT802

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Missed a nice weekend to ride. Dropped the bike off Friday evening to get tuned, Saturday morning the guys transformer at his house takes a dump and wipes out the speed sensor on the dyno in the process. Dynojet has a replacement on the way, at least the issue wasn't the bike I suppose. Should make somewhere around 105hp/115trq.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Also interested in the Indian Scout if I do decide to go cruiser again.

Indian Scout
    6YSJUSA6UI7EYDSRCVPXJ3RDHI.jpg

Honda Fury

honda-fury-7_800x0w.jpg

Totally different look. I went with the Fury. After my Dragon ride I'm convinced the Fury is quite capable of anything I need. Oh, and it's a Honda!

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Missed a nice weekend to ride. Dropped the bike off Friday evening to get tuned, Saturday morning the guys transformer at his house takes a dump and wipes out the speed sensor on the dyno in the process. Dynojet has a replacement on the way, at least the issue wasn't the bike I suppose. Should make somewhere around 105hp/115trq.

What's the hp/trq before the tune?

Top Bottom