motorcyclist where did you go, or good place to ride to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just got my first bike and want to hit some small towns and see the countryside.

Where do you ride to or where would you go? I travel all over for work, but mainly use GPS to guide my way.

With the bike I like to jump on and ride not really having a set destination.

So far I have gone from 465/71st street to Frankton back to Noblesville to Anderson back to Noblesville then back to 465/71st street. That loop took me 120miles. We hit a mix of state routes/highway and country roads.

Today I ran Lafayette rd up to Lebanon then made my way to Frankfort and back to 465/71st street. I hit some county roads and mainly state routes. I had starting issues with the bike after a stop in Frankfort, once I was back on the road I just had to deal with the wind.

If anyone wants to get out on a Saturday or Sunday to ride let me know.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I went into a ditch! I don't recommend doing that! The ride to Nashville on 135 is nice, be careful out there!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    If you want a decent loop to ride from iIndy, go down 135 (yeah, the first part of is sucks until you get down toward Nashville) to 58. Then take 58 west to 446. Go North on 446 to 46 and go west until you get to Smith Road (it's the next cross street IIRC). Go North (right) on Smith road and follow it around to the right and it becomes 45. Take 45 back to 135 and back to Indy.

You can shorten the loop by just going west on 46 from 135 at Brown County State Park (which is fun to ride through, also, if you have the time).

I used to do this as a day ride from Northwest Indiana going down and back on 65.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I rode to Nashville to Bloomington and back home today. Not a lot of riding but it was a nice day. 252, 46, and 446 are my favorite roads right now on the motorcycle. Other good roads From Spencer to Cloverdale and back up to Morgan county. I don't like riding in Indy too much but go up there with my buddies when they want to go to the circle or if there are going to be a bunch of other bikes up there. Other than that riding in Indy sucks.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Go south. Riding through the state parks can be nice too.

Plan your ride to stop every 2 hours or less, so you don't get worn out, and make sure you stay hydrated and fed.

Mental fatigue is a big issue when riding.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    44 from Martinsville to Franklin or vice versa has some nice motorcycle friendly twisties. I'm not sure what their destination was but 144 had more bikes on it yesterday than cars! Stay off the bigger roads and stick to the backroads there are fewer none bike friendly people on them.

Another road that looked like it would be a lot of fun was to follow 135 as far south as you can, we drove down that way last spring and I filed that in my "potential bike ride routes" file for future use.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    If you wanna shoot up 31 (it isn't bad after kokomo) there's a place in South Bend called Wise Guys, great food and gives you a good ride there and back. I wouldn't drink too much before the ride back though lol

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Nice little trip between Anderson and Stawtown on 8th Street Rd (Stawtown rd). Nicely paved and little windy lots of fun. Plan your trip to stop at Bonges in Perkinsville. Bonge?s Tavern

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Been driving a truck south on us 31 to sellersburg and I see a sign that warns trucks not to go on SR 160. I really want to take my motortcycle on it now. What kind of road should I expect?

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County
    I just got my first bike and ... I like to jump on and ride not really having a set destination.

Congrats on the bike - there are plenty of good rides if you have the "see where it takes me" approach!

I've got a garage full of bikes and every time I get on one I find something different. There are lots of little roads you'd never think of turning on in your car or truck but the bike just takes you there.

Good luck sorting out the starting issue - maybe you just need to learn its temperament - and ride safe!

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The starting issue is due to a leaky float needle in carb #1. We cleaned and did a carb sync and it was leaking so we tore it apart again and the second cleaning helped a little. I just need to get a float height gauge and a new float needle and it should be good from there.

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    What kind of bike? Enjoy riding!

32 out past Lebanon and Crawfordsville is nice too, especially once you get out near Turkey Run and Shades.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The bike is a 2002 Suzuki katana 600. I picked it up with only 2252 miles on it and only paid 1500.00 bucks. Nothing wrong with it other than having to replace fluids, carb cleaning, plugs and air filter.

I have logged about 400 miles so far.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Head to Nashville then East on 46 to 135, take it to Story for Lunch the on south to Brownstown and take 50 West to 446, Ride it north across Monroe Resevoir then back to Nashville or turn Left and to Bloomington.

Also try US 52 to Brookville.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    A couple years ago I bought a book for my dad called Motorcycling Indiana I found it at Barnes and Noble in the section with all the books about Indiana. It has multiple rides in it with maps and points of interest along the way. He really likes it.

Thanks for this!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom