motorcyclist where did you go, or good place to ride to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Been driving a truck south on us 31 to sellersburg and I see a sign that warns trucks not to go on SR 160. I really want to take my motortcycle on it now. What kind of road should I expect?

It's a nice ride with lots of tight turns and elevation changes. Great on a bike, not so much in a truck.

There is lots of flat land at the east end of the road. Best to ride it from east to west accross the interstate and on to Salem, then you have lots of choices for good roads.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Head to Nashville then East on 46 to 135, take it to Story for Lunch the on south to Brownstown and take 50 West to 446, Ride it north across Monroe Resevoir then back to Nashville or turn Left and to Bloomington.

Also try US 52 to Brookville.

That's a nice loop. You might look at taking 58 from 135 to 446 instead of US50. It's a little nicer road on a bike.

Weekdays are much better. The road gets busy on the weekends, especially around Nashville and Lake Monroe.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Take 74 east to sr 1. Go south on 1 to lawrenceburg. In lawrenceburg, pick up 56 and 156. Ride that all the way through to Madison. It takes you through aurora, rising sun, etc. That road is a scenic byway. It takes you along the river. I've ridden it several times and I've ridden the kentucky side as well.

Anywhere around Brown County is great. There used to be a great restaurant to get tenderloins south of Story called the Hitchin Post but they've closed. The Story Inn is get if you want to go shopping with your girlfriends and buy high priced Fu Fu food.

I bought an 07 Ultra new in march of 07. I've got over 30k on it with many day rides of 600+. You aren't going to do that on a crotch rocket.

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have been riding for about 5 years now. I don't remember what my first trip was, but I recommend staying off the highways. Not necessarily for safety but more because you get to ride through some great small towns and see great scenery.

My favorite thing to do is just hop on with no agenda, pick a direction and just go. I always try and find a local place to grab a bite to eat too.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    :rolleyes:

30,000 miles in four years isn't much.

I had 20k the first 2 years. Building a house last year, I only got 2500. For the crotch rocket comment, I was referring to 600+ mile days.

Googled an 02 katana. They're more upright than I thought. I don't care what you ride, just ride it. My next bike will probably be a BMW R1200RT.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have been riding for about 5 years now. I don't remember what my first trip was, but I recommend staying off the highways. Not necessarily for safety but more because you get to ride through some great small towns and see great scenery.

My favorite thing to do is just hop on with no agenda, pick a direction and just go. I always try and find a local place to grab a bite to eat too.

Eating is usually my destination. I rode to St Louis to eat at a BBQ joint, walk around the arch for a few, and back home. 600 miles in about 13 hours.

I'll do the iron butt one of these days.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.

318 curves in 11 miles

A three day trip but worth it.

tried it two weeks ago in the van on impulse (we were leaving Pidgeon Forge) and the whole family got sick. LOL Much better on a motorcycle.

I'm wanting to do that and the blue ridge parkway in one shot. Don't know if I'll get to it this year or not.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    You will use muscles that you didn't even know you had when you go on that one. I went through it turned around and came back. That was enough for me.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Take 74 east to sr 1. Go south on 1 to lawrenceburg. In lawrenceburg, pick up 56 and 156. Ride that all the way through to Madison. It takes you through aurora, rising sun, etc. That road is a scenic byway. It takes you along the river. I've ridden it several times and I've ridden the kentucky side as well.

Anywhere around Brown County is great. There used to be a great restaurant to get tenderloins south of Story called the Hitchin Post but they've closed. The Story Inn is get if you want to go shopping with your girlfriends and buy high priced Fu Fu food.

I bought an 07 Ultra new in march of 07. I've got over 30k on it with many day rides of 600+. You aren't going to do that on a crotch rocket.

Quality>quantity :D

I'll take a 100 miles of dragging knee (and occasionally elbow) over 10,000 straightlining on the superslab!

FWIW, I've done 600+ mile days on a crotch rocket. I even once did a 550 mile day on a Husky SM610. The latter left me crippled for days!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Quality>quantity :D

I'll take a 100 miles of dragging knee (and occasionally elbow) over 10,000 straightlining on the superslab!

FWIW, I've done 600+ mile days on a crotch rocket. I even once did a 550 mile day on a Husky SM610. The latter left me crippled for days!

My stones aren't big enough for the knee dragging crotch rocket riding. My stock Ultra has enough power for me.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I will have to look for that book.

I was given this link from a buddy. It has some routes and ratings for them. Indiana Motorcycle Roads & Trips - Best Indiana Motorcycle Rides & Routes

Once we get some better weather I am going to do the Nashville route with a co-worker.

I have been to Madison and remember the drive was nice and want to ride the bike there.

Yeah the katana looks like crotch rocket, but it has a more touring seating position and lacks the power of a CR type bike.

For my 1st bike it will last me for a few years and a ton of miles. At this point I don't need to zoom around and most riders on CR's can't ride to the bike full potential anyway.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I will have to look for that book.

I was given this link from a buddy. It has some routes and ratings for them. Indiana Motorcycle Roads & Trips - Best Indiana Motorcycle Rides & Routes

Once we get some better weather I am going to do the Nashville route with a co-worker.

I have been to Madison and remember the drive was nice and want to ride the bike there.

Yeah the katana looks like crotch rocket, but it has a more touring seating position and lacks the power of a CR type bike.

For my 1st bike it will last me for a few years and a ton of miles. At this point I don't need to zoom around and most riders on CR's can't ride to the bike full potential anyway.

Sorry, didn't mean to knock your bike. I thought the Katanas were more of a CR than they were. I used to be a die hard Harley man until I started putting miles on. Then I got more interested in being in the wind and seeing the country side. Any bike is a good one. Several hundred mile days on the Ultra beat me up, I couldn't imagine doing in on a bike where I had to lean over to reach the bars.

I'm thinking of going to the R1200RT because it's 300# lighter than my Harley, 350 miles to a tank vs 150, etc. It's basically an upright crotch rocket like the Katana.

Whatever it is you ride, ride it. I don't understand the people that spend $15k + on a bike and spend more time polishing it than riding.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sorry, didn't mean to knock your bike. I thought the Katanas were more of a CR than they were. I used to be a die hard Harley man until I started putting miles on. Then I got more interested in being in the wind and seeing the country side. Any bike is a good one. Several hundred mile days on the Ultra beat me up, I couldn't imagine doing in on a bike where I had to lean over to reach the bars.

I'm thinking of going to the R1200RT because it's 300# lighter than my Harley, 350 miles to a tank vs 150, etc. It's basically an upright crotch rocket like the Katana.

Whatever it is you ride, ride it. I don't understand the people that spend $15k + on a bike and spend more time polishing it than riding.

Its cool, it didn't offend me. I just added my thoughts to the bike. It has a love hate following. the owners love them, but a lot of people look down at them since it is not a true CR.

That R1200RT is a nice looking bike. 350miles to a tank would be nice. I would cleanup in mileage for work with that.

I have been getting 130miles to about 2.5/3 gallons. I am chicken and don't fully trust the gas gauge yet.....

caserace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Great ride

Google the overlook restaurant in Leavenworth, IN. Make sure you take 135 through brown county, then after you stop and eat take 37 through Paoli, IN. One of the best rides the state has to offer, and the restaurant is cool.

A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Not sure if the Dragon and the whole Blue Ridge can be done on a 3 day trip, assuming that you are taking a day down and a day back. From just north of Fort Wayne it was 500mile/8hrs down to Pigeon Forge. Did a 13hr day on day 2, then 8hr home on day 3. that be alot of riding. My rearend was sore for a few days. I was on a VTX 1800c with a custom seat.

I plan on riding Brown County later this summer, assuming it ever stops raining.

Top Bottom