• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

trigger643

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Hello all. I'll be relocating to Indy from Nashville in the next month for work. I'll be looking for a place to live. The only requirement is it has to be within 45 minutes of town. Ideally I'd like to rent for 6-12. Suggestions on areas, property managers, etc. are greatly appreciated. Also places to shoot.

Thanks. g.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    welcome to Indy. I too am also partial to the westside. Decatur Township/Camby area is great and conveniently close to Bradis and Bradiss II!!!!!!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The South side is the side that I prefer...

Everything you could possibly want as far as retail goes; numerous restaurants, too.

Easy to get into downtown, easy to get to 465.

Tends to be less expensive (as far as rent goes) than does the 'north side'.

If you have school-age children, I'd urge you to look at Greenwood, Center Grove, Indian Creek (pushing the 45mins to Indy bit) in Johnson Co or even Franklin Township in Marion Co. Decatur Twp and Perry Twp school should be last resorts, in my opinion.

If you don't have chillins; then it really doesn't matter! But if/when you're choosing an apartment complex or what not, drive through several times before you sign the dotted line. If there's a plethora of "hoopties" and/or trashed-out & barely movable cars there during the day; look elsewhere. Then go back at night to see how things are at different hours.

Oh, and there are MANY more firearms shops on the "south side" than there are on any of the others!

Beech Grove
    Indy Trading Post
    Tactical Shotgunner
    Elmore's
    Bradis
    The Outdoorsman
    Honey Creek Tackle (not just a fishing/boating place! They have lots o firearms, too!)
    And as a last resort, Gander Mountain.

There might even be a few that I'm forgetting.

-J-

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    The South side is the side that I prefer...

Everything you could possibly want as far as retail goes; numerous restaurants, too.

Easy to get into downtown, easy to get to 465.

Tends to be less expensive (as far as rent goes) than does the 'north side'.

If you have school-age children, I'd urge you to look at Greenwood, Center Grove, Indian Creek (pushing the 45mins to Indy bit) in Johnson Co or even Franklin Township in Marion Co. Decatur Twp and Perry Twp school should be last resorts, in my opinion.

If you don't have chillins; then it really doesn't matter! But if/when you're choosing an apartment complex or what not, drive through several times before you sign the dotted line. If there's a plethora of "hoopties" and/or trashed-out & barely movable cars there during the day; look elsewhere. Then go back at night to see how things are at different hours.

Oh, and there are MANY more firearms shops on the "south side" than there are on any of the others!

Beech Grove
    Indy Trading Post
    Tactical Shotgunner
    Elmore's
    Bradis
    The Outdoorsman
    Honey Creek Tackle (not just a fishing/boating place! They have lots o firearms, too!)
    And as a last resort, Gander Mountain.

There might even be a few that I'm forgetting.

-J-

+1 for the south side. I live in the Southport/Homecroft area and love it. Houses for rent or sale can be found in decent neighborhoods here, and like Indy Guy said, the trip to downtown is quick. Only 7.8 mile trip for me, about 12-15 mins to work on the circle.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    +1 for southside. I live in the Southport.Hoemcroft area and love it. Houses for rent or sale can be found in decent neighborhoods here, and like Indy Guy said, the trip to downtown is quick. Only 7.8 mile trip for me, about 12-15 misn to work on the circle.

For home rentals, the Homecroft / Southport area is beautiful. Older homes (50+ years old) in well established neighborhoods. GENERALLY well kept and, overall, a relatively safe area. At the extremities of these areas (think of Southport and Homecroft as two small towns kind of squished together from north to south), though, things can start to get a little sketchy. I have a co-worker that lives between Thompson & Epler on State St. A year ago, his mini-van was stolen out of his yard; was recovered less than a mile from his house, a few weeks later, at Thompson Rd. Baptist Church parking lot; where it had been almost the entire time. The police told him they recover 3-4 cars per YEAR at that parking lot.

South edges of Southport; you get into some lower cost apartments and some complexes that accept Section 8. Same with the northern edges.

If you do choose that area, note that Southport schools SEEM to be a modicum better than the Perry Meridian schools (two halves of the same township school system).

Southport is one of the few remaining autonomous governmental entities in Marion County; they have their own Mayor, council, police, etc. That may or may not make a difference in taxes if you're actually IN Southport town limits (which are relatively small).

-J-

Cloverdaleman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Cloverdale,Indiana
    Hello all. I'll be relocating to Indy from Nashville in the next month for work. I'll be looking for a place to live. The only requirement is it has to be within 45 minutes of town. Ideally I'd like to rent for 6-12. Suggestions on areas, property managers, etc. are greatly appreciated. Also places to shoot.

Thanks. g.

I like the west side also. Brownsburg, Avon,Pitsboro,Lizton,Mooresville and Plainfield they all have easy access to I465.
    Welcome to our area.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom