• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Sorry if this ended up being annoying for you regulars to this part of INGO. I didn't do a google search of the site which probably would've given better results. Thanks for responding anyway. It looks like MRE's are going for $82 a case(12 meals), but I haven't got to the shipping cost part. It may be worth a trip to Richmond.
    Of course the family will want to have a meal of them initially which I could consider training.

No its fine, I know the search is less then impressive, there are many threads I see far more often... like the "what ammo is the best" or "first hand gun, what one should I get"

Personally right now I think $60 to your door is a good deal....... I have seen them all day long for about $75 shipped. Sometimes you get lucky at gun shows but you have to factor in cost of parking/admission. Before you buy ask for the date coes and looked them up ont eh manufactures web site... the newer the better because even if they were stored in a hot room but are a year old it is not as bad as some 10 years old stored in a warm room if you ask me. I have seen some deals from time to time on e-bay.

For some that you don't plan to keep long then who cars about the age and storage if they are dirt cheap.

For me the Richmond trip would be worth the drive if I was getting multiple cases and a good deal (around 50-60 bucks). $75 or more Id just look other places. Not sure what ones they sell but the civilian ones tend to be cheaper.... I have had them and military and perfer the military and will only buy them for long term stoarage.......

There is a surpluss tore mentioned in a rescent MRE thread that you might be able to find in a search that is out in Misouri if I rember right and when they do have them it is like $75 for TWO cases if I remeber right..... even after shipping it is cheap but I don't know the dates.

What is the shelf life of the 'new' MREs?

I'd like to store a case for shtf scenario. But if life is too short, it could turn out to be a waste of money.

Same as the old Vietnam era ones, keep them in a cool place out of the sun and pretty much fovever, I think though the calorie rating starts to go down though after like 10 years but considering how many calories they start with who cares....... Many people get a few cases or more and when camping they take the oldest ones so as time goes on everything is some what new.

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    according to the email I received from longlifefood in Richmond, they no longer have a place of business for people to actually pick up the MREs in person....they only ship! (which their shipping is free so....)

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I get the real deal Military ones occassionally and I sell them on this very forum every few months for $50 per case of 12.....sometimes they are nearing inspection date, sometimes they have a year or two left before inspection....and remember the Inspection date is just that, not an Expiration date, they will last for YEARS if kept in a cool, dry place...hope the info helps!

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Thanks for the info, TD!

I don't want to store several cases in case of a disaster to live on. I want them for emergency reserve. To supplement when I just can't get a meal prepared. I'm planning to build a stock of honey, peanut butter, canned goods, etc and just use the MREs as backup to my backup. That's why I was curious about the shelf life.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just called armygear.net and they are currently out of the MRE's. They were supposed to be in last week but never came in and their not sure when their supplier is going to be able to have them there. We thought the price was going to go up a little bit when the new supply of MRE's came in though.

He did say, if you place an order for them now you'd have to wait, but you'd be locking in the price.

All I know is that when I saw two cases of MRE's @ $90 I jumped on it and I'm glad I did. It came out to $4.60 per brand new MRE shipped to my door. Compare that against just the entree's at $3 each at longlifefood.com and why not pay the extra $1.6 for the whole thing.

fatmatt1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Vernon
    I used to order stuff from longlifefood every summer for camping trips....just single entrees etc. and things like the peanut butter and crackers, cheese sauce.
    I must admit tho, the stuff was very good and the people decent to deal with but they are somewhat pricey.
    However everything you get is new issue stuff....you don't hafta guess on anything you buy from em.
    I enjoy the Minestrone stew...my kids love the crackers and sauces.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Trying to find a local source for vegetarian MREs is even harder. Seems a lot of people stock aPacks, or even real MREs, but almost no-one stocks the vegetarian kind :/ Not everyone eats meat!

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Those aPacks are a good price, but they were manufactured a year ago. According to the aPack website, shelf life is only 40 months at 70 degrees.

Which raises another question. Many other manufacturers (like MRE Star) have very different shelf life tables. Is there really any difference or are they just using different numbers?

DMarines007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    MREs are a great source of calories to keep people going. I'm a big advocate of having at least a one month supply on hand...

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Walmart is now stocking Mountain House freeze dried foods in the sporting good section. The shelf life on my current stock is 2018. Not the greatest food in the world but better than nothing if SHTF. I have tried the spaghetti not to bad and the scrambled eggs with bacoon is awesome after a below freezing camping trip!

Deprime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hancock Co.
    Walmart is now stocking Mountain House freeze dried foods in the sporting good section. The shelf life on my current stock is 2018. Not the greatest food in the world but better than nothing if SHTF. I have tried the spaghetti not to bad and the scrambled eggs with bacoon is awesome after a below freezing camping trip!

How much do they run for?

custom2006

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    La Porte
    For MRE's, I buy here...

Military Surplus, Food, Mre Meals at Sportsman's Guide

I am a member, so they cost $63.00/case.

I like these too...

https://heatermeals.com/cart/home.php?cat=2

They are listed to have a 3 year shelf life. I have eaten them at 3.5 years and they were fine. I keep them in my basement utility room where the temp is about 60. Right now, the 3 year meals are only good for 2 years as they were made in 1/1/10. But if you call and ask for Florence, she will sell them to you for $55.00/case (or less if you buy several cases) - I got mine for $51.00/case. Shipping will depend on where you are located. If 2 years passes, you can eat them anytime and they are really good and filling...

Also, they have a 5 year meal too, but it is only the entree...no extra's like the 3 year meals.

https://heatermeals.com/cart/product.php?productid=1&cat=3&page=1

Last edited:

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I had thought about ordering from Sportsman's Guide once, but then I looked at the price and seen "Please Note: Heaters may or may not be included." and changed my mind REAL quick! I'm not paying $70 before shipping for MRE's that might not come with heaters!

Top Bottom