• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tt5stargeneral

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Southern California
    My choice is the Leatherman Wave in black oxide coating with molle sheath, bit set, and bit extender. This setup is reliable, has a variety of attachment options, and meets all the standard needs one might have.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    The Victorinox Swisstool is a tank. Everyone else at work carries Leatherman, or Gerber, but the Swisstool feels so much heavier, and of higher quality.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    to my knowledge, SOG makes the only multi-tool that multiplies your hand strength (like bolt cutters). try cutting mil-spec steel fence with the others.

strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    every leatherman ive had ive broken within days... my gerber ive had for over 2 years and not one issue..

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Do you have a link that explains how the mechanism works? Upon a cursory examination, these multitools seem like your standard plier-based multitool. The power-assist seems to be about opening the different tools. I'm not sure how the SOG are similar to bolt cutters. I'd be interested if they are superior to a Leatherman of a similar configuration.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    every leatherman ive had ive broken within days... my gerber ive had for over 2 years and not one issue..

man you have really bad luck then. Your about 1 in 1000 then. In the army in our battalion about 800-1k soldiers our supply folks literally stopped ordering gerbers because they would last us Infantry folks about 1 day. then they issued us all leatherman waves or titanium charges and I can't recall our supply folks returning a single one.

But even still in the civilian world I see so many gerbers fail (all gerbers not just multi tools) especially the bear grylls line!

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Do you have a link that explains how the mechanism works? Upon a cursory examination, these multitools seem like your standard plier-based multitool. The power-assist seems to be about opening the different tools. I'm not sure how the SOG are similar to bolt cutters. I'd be interested if they are superior to a Leatherman of a similar configuration.

it has to do with the physics of each handle having two pivot points. I don't want to seem redundant, but they increase force just like AVIATION SNIPS do. maybe you should do some research on how AVIATION SNIPS work. all I k now is that I have three pair and I love them. check out this web site "www.cdxetextbook.com/toolsEquip/hpt/common/pliers.html "

Last edited:
    Top Bottom