• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    While these Murder ones suck, some hornets are actually pretty nice....https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-amc-hornet-amx/

Seeing as it sold recently somebody will disagree with my assessment. :puke: I think it's the phony aerodynamic package or what but give me this hornet and we're talking!

[video=youtube;fzCIbhLUUA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=fzCIbhLUUA0&feature=emb_l ogo[/video]

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Seeing as it sold recently somebody will disagree with my assessment. :puke: I think it's the phony aerodynamic package or what but give me this hornet and we're talking!

[video=youtube;fzCIbhLUUA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=fzCIbhLUUA0&feature=emb_l ogo[/video]

Gotta love subtle product placement of the AMC rear license plate!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I about peed myself when a cicada killer wasp landed between my feet last summer. First time I had seen one of those. He was docile enough. They pretty much leave people alone. I guess I need a photo comparing the two, sounds like they are about the same size.

$&#@ the media for sensationalizing yet another thing by making up the name “murder hornet.” Whatever it takes to sell the story. 

Cicada killers males are quite curious and can't sting, the females only care about cicadas and won't bother stinging unless squeezed or stepped on and the sting is harmless.

Last edited:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    We started seeing them a few years ago in our neighborhood. We've got a slope in the side yard that they dig out their nests in...they look like small crawdad holes. They seem a lot like the wood bees....big and ugly so they scare the crap out of everyone, but pretty much aren't interested in you in the least.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    We started seeing them a few years ago in our neighborhood. We've got a slope in the side yard that they dig out their nests in...they look like small crawdad holes. They seem a lot like the wood bees....big and ugly so they scare the crap out of everyone, but pretty much aren't interested in you in the least.

I don't care if they are "pretty harmless". I have a thing about wasps and hornets. Some people don't like spiders, some snakes... me - it is flying stinging *******s. I had a nest of those ground hornets or cicada killers in a big crack of my driveway at my old house. I poured about a quart of gasoline down it and was seconds away from dropping a match when the wife stopped me. So I poured more gas in and let it soak the nest for several nights until I didn't see any more flying around.

If murder hornets make their way to Indiana, I am building a flippin' flame thrower...

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I keep waiting for someone to say that if all the honey bees are wiped out, “WE WILL STARVE, because nothing will get pollinated”. What lots of people don’t realize is that the honey bee came to America with the European colonists, and American plants got pollinated just fine before that.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    still waiting for the killer bees I was promised in '79

They only came out on Saturday nights.

killer-bees.jpg

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I don't care if they are "pretty harmless". I have a thing about wasps and hornets. Some people don't like spiders, some snakes... me - it is flying stinging *******s. I had a nest of those ground hornets or cicada killers in a big crack of my driveway at my old house. I poured about a quart of gasoline down it and was seconds away from dropping a match when the wife stopped me. So I poured more gas in and let it soak the nest for several nights until I didn't see any more flying around.

If murder hornets make their way to Indiana, I am building a flippin' flame thrower...

Probably yellow jackets, they tend to build big underground colonies. Unlike cicada killers they will attack humans without much/any provocation.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Probably yellow jackets, they tend to build big underground colonies. Unlike cicada killers they will attack humans without much/any provocation.

Every September I get a hole somewhere in my yard filled with these evil things. Two years in a row I found it by stepping on it and getting stung about a dozen times. I went and boiled the biggest pot of water I had and poured it down the hole. I hate them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Every September I get a hole somewhere in my yard filled with these evil things. Two years in a row I found it by stepping on it and getting stung about a dozen times. I went and boiled the biggest pot of water I had and poured it down the hole. I hate them.

We had a series of these things here as well. We won that battle over time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Still better than Sodomy Geese! :):

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I just fought a battle with them suckers last summer. I had some wood piled up for our fire pit, we usually have a fire every weekend and sit around and relax. Was getting some wood to throw in the fire and uncovered a hole and they instantly started pouring out. Dad came and poured gasoline in the hole and stuffed a rag in it and lit it. Haven’t seen them since, knock on wood.

Speaking of wood, the one battle I can’t seem to win is with wood bees. I’ve sprayed their holes, plugged the holes, everything. Every year they come right back. I was told to put an owl statue in the yard, I guess they eat them and they’ll stay away. Nope. Didn’t phase them at all.

Top Bottom