• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So what are you doing with the Spike Nickel Boron battle trigger???? Is it goin to surface in the classifieds...........

I'll probably hold onto it for a bit. Then it'll be put out for sale. Should I send you a PM before I do?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Will this build ever end? I think it's time to start a 2nd build. :):

You know I am now to that point where continuing would mean replacing parts that I already replaced once already. :D So unless I decide to upgrade my upgrades this build can pretty much be considered "finished". ;)

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm glad to see it finally "done" as far as any gun of yours is ever done, lol. Hopefully you have everything worked out well so that you can move on to the next build. Unless you wanna keep upgrading your upgrades, ;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How about the spikes ambi safety? Ever thought of upgrading to the battle arms development ambi safety?

Sure I've 'thought' about it. :D I just don't currently see a reason to switch, as I really like having the same-sized levers on both sides anyway.

But maybe someday. :shady:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You know I am now to that point where continuing would mean replacing parts that I already replaced once already. :D So unless I decide to upgrade my upgrades this build can pretty much be considered "finished". ;)

upgradeyourupgrades_zps987d6656.png

http://qkme.me/3tqlfc

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Short UPDATE

Got some more trigger time last Sunday while shooting with shooter521 and akaindy. I also took the opportunity to update an ongoing review I was doing on a single-point bungee sling.

Sorry for the late update, but yesterday I had some time to finalize my thoughts on the bungee sling that Pale Rider was kind enough to send me.

Some of my impressions were unique to the 215Gear sling itself, and some were of the use of bungee material in sling construction.

Overall I did not care for the 215Gear single-point bungee sling. I found it to be about 6" too long, even when adjusted to its shortest length. If it were 6" shorter it would hold tighter to my body, and the rifle would hang in a better position. And the bungee material would still have allowed me to shoulder my rifle on either shoulder, make shoulder transitions, and transition to pistol without fear of the rifle flopping all around. Of course there would still be more movement than a 2-point sling simply due to configuration. So the sling either needs to be shorter, or I need to be bigger around.

Here you can see the difference between when I maintain control over the rifle, and where it falls when its let loose. It comes to rest several inches below where I feel it should be.

21aem9.jpg

15n95yp.jpg

Now, what about the concept of bungee material in a sling? I like it.

I like having the rifle's natural return position closer to my body, while still being able to punch it out and shoot from whatever position I'm in. The bungee material allows this to happen in lieu of making length adjustments on the fly. It also provides some amount of active resistance to aid in steadying the gun. Too much would obviously start to fatigue a shooter, so there needs to be a balance.

So my sling quest continues. The VTAC 2-point with bungee material has caught my eye, so I may try that next. Or maybe I'll have to check out SOE's offerings when I'm down at Tactical Response at the end of the month.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Evan, I am completely envious. I'm now filling out a Form 1 as we speak, and I'm blaming you. :):

It's your fault, and that's the story I'm sticking to.

All kidding aside, I've been wanting to do an SBR build for quite some time; which, up until now, was logistically impossible due to the non-existence of overtime. Now that has changed, planning and building can continue.

Overall, awesome work and great write-up! I'd love to put a few magazines through it to get an idea of how I want to piece mine together.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It's your fault, and that's the story I'm sticking to.

I've been getting that a lot lately. Hmm.... ;)

All kidding aside, I've been wanting to do an SBR build for quite some time; which, up until now, was logistically impossible due to the non-existence of overtime. Now that has changed, planning and building can continue.

Overall, awesome work and great write-up! I'd love to put a few magazines through it to get an idea of how I want to piece mine together.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I found that putting my ideas down in a thread helped me hash them out as others made some good suggestions. I'd love to have you shoot Iron Widow sometime!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What do you get when you combine (1) Noveske MK18 10.5" SBR, (1) high-end Vortex scope, (1) average shooter, (1) patient shooting coach, (1) 700+ yard shooting range, and (1) warm winter day?

HITS!!

:rockwoot:

IronWidowCollage.jpg

Thanks goes to Alan (42769vette) for challenging me to make it happen. He bet he could get me on target in fewer than 10 rounds. We did it in 9. ;) Target was a full-size IPSC AR500 steel target from Bobcat Steel.

Cool thing was dialing in the scope so that hits could be made consistently by simply placing the crosshairs on the target.

[video=youtube;r98CYq9awrM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r98CYq9awrM[/video]

But SBRs aren't accurate past 200 yards. . . . . . .

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You know its pretty bad when you cant run the scope with the sunshade because the sun shade hangs past the end of the barrel.

Id have to call this the highlight of the day.

Top Bottom