My daughter was accepted to Rose-Hulman!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just curious what kind of jobs you guys end up with out of RH? I know most are engineers, but what kind of things do you guys do..like buildings, sewers, cars, spaceships?
    \

There a many out there doing average jobs, but a few are doing some extra-ordinary things. My job, for instance, would be considered ordinary in most respects, but IMHO, I have a job that many "hands-on" or military oriented engineers only get to dream about. I can't divulge too much but it's the best, most rewarding job I've ever had, I get paid good to do it, and I get to interface with some pretty awesome guys doing it...

Does RH produce any racing engineers? I have heard IUPUI has a great school for racing engineers.
    Racing engineers as in "Bachelor of Science in Racing Engineering"? No
    Racing engineers as in "Engineers that love to race"? Yes

One of the beautiful things at Rose is the extra-curricular activities all paid for by the Student Activities Fees that every student pays even if he/she doesn't participate. There are lots of students that don't; so it means fat budgets for some of the clubs like "Team Rose Motorsports". I'm not sure what cars they are running right now but they had a dragster and a couple other cars that they actually ran at competitions.

Another note: before the gun-club was shut-down (I was there when they shut it down and witnessed the incident that lead to the club being shut down) they had a budget of ~$30k/yr and our gun-shoots (4 shoots annually open to all campus, and several smaller ones for officers and range officers only) exceeded 100k rounds shot. It was the largest club on campus with something around 60% participation (meaning 60% of Rose students came to at least one gun-shoot per year).

We just have to keep the EEs and CS guys out of the planning stage! AHAHAH

I'm serious, lets do it... once the Homecoming schedule is out lets start a thread and plan it...

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I would absolutely love to attend some sort of RHIT get-together, but I am thinking I won't be able to make it, unfortunately. Hope you all have a great time! I'll try to follow up on the planning and AAR threads once they come up so I can enjoy the event vicariously!

Another note: before the gun-club was shut-down (I was there when they shut it down and witnessed the incident that lead to the club being shut down) they had a budget of ~$30k/yr and our gun-shoots (4 shoots annually open to all campus, and several smaller ones for officers and range officers only) exceeded 100k rounds shot. It was the largest club on campus with something around 60% participation (meaning 60% of Rose students came to at least one gun-shoot per year).

What year was it shut down? Did it ever come back? I remember there being a club shooting event while I was there that I didn't get to attend, but I don't remember them being so often. So either I was there when it came back or when it got shut down, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention :n00b:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What year was it shut down? Did it ever come back? I remember there being a club shooting event while I was there that I didn't get to attend, but I don't remember them being so often. So either I was there when it came back or when it got shut down, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention :n00b:
    It was shut down a few decades ago, came back in the 90's IIRC, and I believe it was shut down your senior year (we graduated the same year I believe). The open shoots were 4 times/yr. We had one shoot senior year and then it got the nix...

Did you ever look at the posters on the walls and bulletin boards around campus? We hung up hundreds of fliers at least a week in advance of each open-shoot.

The real fun was for the officers though. Because they typically didn't get to enjoy the open shoots (busy acting as range officers and helpers) we had special training and shooting sessions outside of the open-shoots. We set up obstacle courses and shoot-house type stuff for those... the open-shoots were just big ammo-burning parties with bunches of shooters on the line letting loose on whatever target they felt like.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I have a vague recollection of shooing these enormously heavy .22 rifles in the basement of Moench Hall in the mid-late 70's. (Yes, I am that old....). ROTC sponsored anyone who wanted to do some shooting.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have a vague recollection of shooing these enormously heavy .22 rifles in the basement of Moench Hall in the mid-late 70's. (Yes, I am that old....). ROTC sponsored anyone who wanted to do some shooting.

I could be ornery and point out that I was loading diapers in the mid-70s! :):

nj4020

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Que, it's time for an update. How's she doing at school? I just came across this thread while searching, and I was surprised as to the RHIT connections here on INGO. My son is a current senior chem e at Rose. He is looking for a job now. I wonder if INGO, RHIT alumni have any pull?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My daughter has found the perfect place for her. She loves being around people who enjoy rigorous academics and teachers who are passionate about teaching and not just research. She went to a job/internship fair the other day and made some good connections. I think she is going to have a very satisfying tenure at Rose-Hulman.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Glad to hear! I didn't make it to the career fair on Wednesday, but was there all day Friday interviewing for summer internships. Had some very qualified candidates to talk to for sure! Did your daughter go to the bonfire last night? Definitely a tradition worth participating in!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Glad to hear! I didn't make it to the career fair on Wednesday, but was there all day Friday interviewing for summer internships. Had some very qualified candidates to talk to for sure! Did your daughter go to the bonfire last night? Definitely a tradition worth participating in!

I think she went, but I'm not sure. We only communicate on Sunday evenings. Although there are several ways to stay in contact, we've decided to let her have space. My wife is active on the R-H Parents page on Facebook and a lot of them seem to spend a lot of time keeping up with their children.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, I'm proud to say my little girl made the dean's list! She's only got 11 more terms to go. :rockwoot:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Unless you are a grad of RHIT or have been the parent of a student there, an accomplishment like this in the Freshman year cannot be fully appreciated. What an amazing young'n you have there !

Top Bottom