• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Zoomie, you shouldn't have had to pay anything at ALL...but I'm glad you're satisfied with the outcome. That's what counts!

I wouldn't call what I'm feeling satisfaction. I did the best I could presenting my case. I had been preparing for this since the day of the incident.

My wife and kids are proud of me. That's all that matters to me.

The other party was woefully unprepared, looked stupid most of the time, and apparently didn't educate themselves on small claims court procedures. The judge shot down damn near all of their evidence as hearsay.

Basically, I beat myself by doing what I always do. I never spoke a lie, and I told the complete truth from the beginning, revealing too many details.

Sometimes, the truth will NOT set you free.

But...I don't have any feelings of guilt about what I did, and I don't regret shooting the dog.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I am happy for you. Long as you are satisfied with the out come, but I have to say that even 300.00 seem too much. You stood up and at least achieve a moral victory. Congrats.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Congratulations! You were attacked by two animals quite capable of killing you and you escaped with only the loss of $300. It sucks that it cost you that much, but if one of them had really even got ahold of your hand, your hospital bill would have blown through $300 before they tore the first finger off. Good job acting quickly and correctly to protect yourself and your property.

I do have to say that it's a sad state of affairs when the government makes a man, attacked on his own private property, pay for the medical bills of his attacker.

I sincerely hope this costs that judge their reelection bid.

JLawsonTXRH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Congratulations! You were attacked by two animals quite capable of killing you and you escaped with only the loss of $300. It sucks that it cost you that much, but if one of them had really even got ahold of your hand, your hospital bill would have blown through $300 before they tore the first finger off. Good job acting quickly and correctly to protect yourself and your property.

I do have to say that it's a sad state of affairs when the government makes a man, attacked on his own private property, pay for the medical bills of his attacker.

I sincerely hope this costs that judge their reelection bid.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Two dogs against you? This could have easily gone the other way. Or, God forbid, if your kids had been outside.... Well, no reason to 'what if' it to death. Glad it's behind you now.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Glad to hear everything worked out. Next time you get attacked, I bet you'll take care of that vet bill.;)

Last edited:

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    What would the vet bill had been if you killed the dog and not wounded it?

:+1:

Yep. A neighbors dog had a habit of attacking my parents dogs all the time. After many complaints, the dog got loose again and did the same thing. Dad shot the dog with a 30-06, which ended the problem. He dragged the dog back to the neighbors and left it. They complained, etc but that was the end of the dog problem thereafter.

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    My neighbors have an ugly ass boston terrier that barks at my 4 year old, Im just waiting for the day it comes in my yard barking at her. There wont be a vet bill, just a mess to clean up in my front yard.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I love dogs

Well behaved friendly dogs that know where the invisible fence is and are more concerned with where their next treat is coming from, than who is this intruder in the neighbor's yard.
    If the neighbors dog is at my house and even looks at me cross eyed he'll be lucky if he gets to go home. Let alone make it to the Vet. If its yours keep it chained, tied or penned. It doesn't belong at my house and I shouldn't be asked to deal with your problem child. Let alone your aggressive problem child.:draw:
    Packs of dogs will be treated like coyotes. Singly they are a dog. as a group they are a pack and behave differently. A friend whose mom was working the census b4 this last one was killed at a house she was trying to count when the 20 dogs they owned attacked her. Be Aware of the DIFFERENCE.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Glad to hear it has been settled, though I do think it is a load of BS. You did what you had to do. How about you sue the owners now for "mental stress"? You can tell the judge that you once loved dogs but are now scared to death of them, heck they do it all the time on Judge Judy.
    I admire you for "sticking to your guns".

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Just got some mail from the court.

The judge says: "The Court finds comparative fault. Although Mr. Zoomie has self defense rights, he chose (after retreating to safety and 'cuz he's a dumb Jarhead), to expose himself to danger and not call law enforcement until after shooting. The Court finds Mr. Zoomie 50% fault."

I have to pay 50% of the vet bill and court costs.

Here's the kicker...something I didn't know until just now...my neighbor, who was watching the dogs, was found to be 50% at fault and has to pay the other half of the vet bill..to the dogs' owners...their own son and daughter-in law.

I'm just guessing, but I imagine my half will be the only half the dog owner receives.

Maybe the judge isn't such a dick after all. I'm glad I didn't send him the nasty letter I typed up yesterday! ;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom