• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Picked up a 1988 BMW K75 with 12,000 miles on it for 800 bucks. came w/ hard locking bmw branded saddlebags and an upgraded seat.

i think it needs a new battery so i am looking for a free pdf document or some such for repair/maintance of this model bike. anybody got any input? did i get a good deal?

IMG00169-20110527-2126.jpg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Congrats on the BMW Bike!!! Only 12K miles?!?! Sounds like a great deal, looks nice in the pic too :D

Have you checked out the Indianapolis BMW Motorcycle club?
    There is a page "Who We Are" that has some video library info near the bottom that may get you started.

And please consider joining us for impromptu breakfast every Saturday AM at Shapiro's there are a lot of experienced riders that would love to be questioned :oldwise:

2005 F650GS

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Locking saddle bags are money in the bank. I still have to sit and stare morosely between the post office and my soft leather bags when I forget to coordinate my errands. :)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    well i downloaded the 8 dollar manual but after the download it was for the 100 series and in spanish which is not what was advertised. kinda sucks as that manual is what i needed.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    well i downloaded the 8 dollar manual but after the download it was for the 100 series and in spanish which is not what was advertised. kinda sucks as that manual is what i needed.

Se habla espanol? :):

That sucks! Contact them and see about a refund. It was not what was advertised.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Nice ride! you'll love it, I'm sure. I used to have a K100 when I was stationed in Germany and it was a great bike.
    You could check autozone for a manual. I've seen them for beemers there before. They are usually under $20.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    once started it runs GREAT for as long as i am moving.... i think its either a bad battery or alternator. more than likely the battery since it runs fantastic after a jump start on the dead battery. BUT, i dont even know how to get the seat off, let along change the battery out. and i am having a hard time figuring out if its a k75 or k75c inwhich the batteries are NOT interchangable.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    wont charge good. although it only sat on the trickle for 5 hours total. everything else was a jump start w/a bad driver.

Emphasis on bad driver......... :D :laugh:

Ya id definitely start by getting a new battery, then go from there. From what has been happening I might be wrong when I first thought it was the alternator, could very well just be a battery issue. Its worth the trouble it takes to get it running!

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    Welcome to the kraut-bike club! My hunch would be charging system, but just an uneducated guess. Only experience with the K75 was helping a buddy in Northern Ireland with his two. Both of them (his & hers) had the starter relays go bad on them.

Here's another source of info i've found invaluable with owning and working on my LT. They've got a section specifically for the K-bikes that may help you out....
    http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/

'00 BMW K1200LT
    '40 Harley knucklehead chopper

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Update.

Probably joining the indy bmw motorcycle club, provided the wife likes it after we attend an event.

replaced the battery and rode 50 miles on it w/out a hitch, the bike runs like a top.

all fluids and filters and seals will be changed out in a week or two.

I am not a good motorcycle driver. once i get going i am good, but being the first manual transmission i have ever driven, getting going from a stop is proving to be challenging. with practice i am getting better, but still not 100 percent confident.

thanks for all the help and well wishes. the people i was put into contact w/ from this thread has proven to be a huge help. just goes to show that ingo is the best networking sight i have ever been a part of including the fire department.

ill get some better pics up in a few days.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    I'd HIGHLY reccomend taking the ABATE (I assume they sponser it in Indiana) motorcycle courses. It will help you immensely in keeping the shiny side up...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom