• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE ABATE class.

Take it.

:D

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I had a buddy with an 80's K bike. He put well over 100k miles on and it's still running like a top. Treat her right and this one will serve you well.

And wear the gear. It will save your life. Already has mine, a couple of times.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    When you get ready to do your service check out BMW motorcycle parts, BMW motorcycle, Used BMW motorcycle parts, BMW motorcycle salvage for filters and parts.

Same quality, much less money than the dealer.

Don't forget to flush the brake fluid and lube the clutch cable. Rear drive and transmission are easy. Air filter is not too bad. Fuel filter is in the tank, you remove the fuel cap to get to it. There is a big rubber gasket under the cap assembly that will probably need replaced on a bike that age. There is a rubber vent hose from the crankcase to the air filter that will crack with age, take a look at it.

You might want to use a little Seafoam if the gas is old. Those bike are pretty bullet proof.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Another +1 on the ABATE course. Might be difficult to get registered in one that is close to you this late into the year. They fill up fast. Best $50 I ever spent.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I'm personally waiting for my class date confirmation on the ABATE course. I'll add another voice to those saying take it.

My next step is finding a bike for me. I believe I have, but I'm still going to shop. Congrats on finding a great deal.

I'd suggest going to an empty parking lot and getting used to the "manual" shift from a stop. That way you're in a controlled environment (sort of) that you can not worry about traffic and starting and stopping repeatedly. They do this at the ABATE course too.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I already contacted ABATE but they were unwilling to work with my work schedule. there is no way i would be able to attend ANY course that is more than two consecutive days. Since all the courses are at least 3 day i would have to miss at least one. i asked about breaking it up and attending the first day one weekend and the following two days another, and they said that was not an option, so abate is out of the question.

i do practice my starts on my residential street and am getting better at it, but still need some work.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the abate class I took a few years ago was a friday night for like 3 hours, then all day saturday, and most of the day sunday. The friday night was all classroom. I dont understand why they wouldn't let you do the friday night one week, and the two days of riding on another, but hey, thats what I get for being logical.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I already contacted ABATE but they were unwilling to work with my work schedule. there is no way i would be able to attend ANY course that is more than two consecutive days. Since all the courses are at least 3 day i would have to miss at least one. i asked about breaking it up and attending the first day one weekend and the following two days another, and they said that was not an option, so abate is out of the question.

i do practice my starts on my residential street and am getting better at it, but still need some work.

Call the House captain at engine 2. He is in charge of the MSF, he might be able to help you. If not call me, i have a few friends that are instructors who may be able to help.

GLOCKBOY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    Sweet deal. Low miles, low, low price. Prolly just needs a good cleaning of the fuel system and plugs,oil change , grease...small easy things to do. Do them all then ride the wheels off!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    AND once again, where the heck am I when those great deals happen!!!!! $800 for a BMW........"darn darn darn darn darn!" Herman Munster

Top Bottom