• Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Spike! Buddy!

I work in IT. We can help. Power down, internet off, automatic updates, all can be configured.

Start a new thread somewhere and give us the link. I & a bunch of INGO technical professionals will help you.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    First the manufactures of the P.C. Is directed by the software supplier. You want to run my product. You do it my way or no way. Now if there is a way to turn the internet function "OFF". Why do they call it "AIRPLANE MODE"?
    YOU SPOTTING OFF did not answer my question. why did they take something that was easy to do and make it difficult and hidden.
    Of course you did not give any help on how to turn my laptop completely off and how to disable the internet from accessing my laptop.
    Why does Microsoft do up grades with out my permission. Yesterday I activated my laptop at 18:00 hrs. Before I was able to do anything. Microsoft did a "UPDATE" and telling me not to turn off my computer.

Ok, since you can't figure out how to perform a search (entitled much?):

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-or-disable-wi-fi-and-ethernet-network-adapters-windows-10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13770/windows-shut-down-sleep-hibernate-your-pc

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-quickly-shut-down-windows-10/

You don't know how wrong you are about the PC OEMs and the "software supplier", unless you are running a Surface device, which I suspect not to be the case.

I hope you figure out how to disable wifi from the above... as well as turn off your PC, though I hate to suggest this as we might be better if you don't figure out how to turn it back on, you may want to print or copy and paste the instructions to turn it back on, somewhere in a document you will have access to when not connected to the internet.

This is not a conspiracy... there is a reason that updates are done the way they are in Win 10 as opposed to how they may have been done in the past (though many of the changes regarding updates have also been backported back to the lower level operating system versions).

Sorry OP /threadjack

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ....back to the OP's software...

One useful feature would be to print "acquisition and disposition" reports for FFL03 holders.

Of course you'd have to add more buyer and seller fields like DOB, DL, FFL#, etc. Then, each firearm needs a checkbox to identify it as to be included in C&R report.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

One useful feature would be to print "acquisition and disposition" reports for FFL03 holders.

Of course you'd have to add more buyer and seller fields like DOB, DL, FFL#, etc. Then, each firearm needs a checkbox to identify it as to be included in C&R report.

Ah yes. That would make it C&R FFL friendly correct? I should really get myself an FFL.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN

I would have no problem adding this to the database. I am already working on version 2 and this sounds like it would be useful for some folks.

The only thing is I am not really sure what fields would need to be added. If someone could let me know what fields would be needed for C&R and if different, what fields for FFL stuff. Once I get that information I could throw something together as a sample, and then incorporate it into the database, after it has been deemed correct. Making the reports would be easy.

I am also adding a password option to the database. This would require a password to open and run the database. Nothing that would keep the NSA out but at least would keep prying eyes out.

Hop mentioned earlier about encrypting the database. There are several ways do this and I am researching them to be able to offer some options.

I thought about also adding a panic button. When you push this button it would add a disposition field to all the gun records that they were lost in a tragic boating accident.

Keep in mind that if you are filling out the database now, that any new versions or updates will not change any of the data that has already been added. So when these ideas are incorporated you would just need to add additonal data to the new fields.

Ron

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would have no problem adding this to the database. I am already working on version 2 and this sounds like it would be useful for some folks.

The only thing is I am not really sure what fields would need to be added. If someone could let me know what fields would be needed for C&R and if different, what fields for FFL stuff. Once I get that information I could throw something together as a sample, and then incorporate it into the database, after it has been deemed correct. Making the reports would be easy.

I am also adding a password option to the database. This would require a password to open and run the database. Nothing that would keep the NSA out but at least would keep prying eyes out.

Hop mentioned earlier about encrypting the database. There are several ways do this and I am researching them to be able to offer some options.

I thought about also adding a panic button. When you push this button it would add a disposition field to all the gun records that they were lost in a tragic boating accident.

Keep in mind that if you are filling out the database now, that any new versions or updates will not change any of the data that has already been added. So when these ideas are incorporated you would just need to add additonal data to the new fields.

Ron
    The DB I'm using is "self-contained", i.e. it runs from a thumbstick, and I keep it all inside a TrueCrypt volume.

Here's some samples of the C&R output:
    Bound_Book.gif
    [/URL][/IMG]

https://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=75844&d=1360544264

https://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=75558&d=1360322749

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Did this ever get converted to Mac?
    I doubt it's been ported to any unixish platforms. Just a guess but I'm guessing he wants to keep the source code closed.. cant blame him, he is the one that put all the time and effort in to it.. that being said, I dont run any software that's not open.. if I cant comb the code for "unwanted" behavior I dont use it:)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    JettaKnight, thanks for the info. This doesn't look complicated at all. I am already working on some new features and I add this in.

Ron

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I doubt it's been ported to any unixish platforms. Just a guess but I'm guessing he wants to keep the source code closed.. cant blame him, he is the one that put all the time and effort in to it.. that being said, I dont run any software that's not open.. if I cant comb the code for "unwanted" behavior I dont use it:)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I really wouldn't even know how to do this. It is an MS Access Database, there is no source code in the typical sense. If you can run MS Access then you run the database, if you can not run MS Access then you probably won't be able to run it. I know of no software that can convert MS Access into something else.

When I first started this project I never intended to release it, but had some friends that wanted it and suggested that I try to get it to the public, which I have. I wish I knew more about this stuff, but I don't. Heck, I have never even touched a MAC :>)

Hope this explains it a bit.

Thanks,

Ron

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I think you're doing great with this Gaffer. Keep it up!

I'm wondering if there's a way to backup the data file to Google Docs (encrypted of course).

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Thanks Hop!

You may be familiar with 7zip, but it is my goto free zipping/encryption software. I run my own LAN at my house and offsite so I have many options when it comes to backing up, but for most folks they won't have this option. Google docs or other "Cloud" based backups are great but I would never save anything there without my own encryption applied. 7zip allows one to zip up a file using AES-256 encryption..... just don't forget the password you create while zipping it up. After zipping it up using this encryption method you could throw the file in your front yard and it would be safe!

Ron

pjmaxx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2020
    Springfield
    As a software engineer of many many years one of the first lessons was never ever use microsoft tools for porting database ever. Access was never intended to be used this way, I have seen many access databases crash and burn.
    The most reliable (in my opinion) is sqlite, programming is almost identical to mysql/msSQL and much faster than access.
    I started back in the vb6 era and took a long time to move over to vb.NET but in all it has been well worth the move.

MikeRuth2020

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2021
    Tarzana, Ca.
    Thanks Hop!

You may be familiar with 7zip, but it is my goto free zipping/encryption software. I run my own LAN at my house and offsite so I have many options when it comes to backing up, but for most folks they won't have this option. Google docs or other "Cloud" based backups are great but I would never save anything there without my own encryption applied. 7zip allows one to zip up a file using AES-256 encryption..... just don't forget the password you create while zipping it up. After zipping it up using this encryption method you could throw the file in your front yard and it would be safe!

Ron
    Not sure if I missed it but is this still available to download? The original link is a 404 now :(

Mike R
    Thank you.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Not sure if I missed it but is this still available to download? The original link is a 404 now :(

Mike R
    Thank you.
    Sorry, but I have been in the woods for a few days away from everything!

I had to drop a few things in my life and this was one of them (hopefully just for now), so no it is not available at this time.

Ron

Top Bottom