• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm training for the hilly hundred right now. For my 2nd ride of this season, I rode 25.1 miles on Sunday after church. I thought it was pretty good. Average speed was 20mph.

You think 20mph average is pretty good? For 25.1 miles? Bah, if you would have made it 25.5 miles, then you could say it was pretty good!

Just kidding! That is some awesome riding! You are in a group of riders that make up a very small percentage of people who can average above the 'teens for a ride of any appreciable length.

Good job!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Smaller pump that works with CO2 would be best...

Be sure to test ride the pump at the shop before buying. You may find that if you don't have Popeye forearms it will be useless.

Also buy an extra CO2 and actually use it to inflate a tire. I can't tell you how many times I have had to help someone that had never used their CO2 inflater and could not figure out how to effectively use it without shooting air everywhere but into the tube.

Reminder that a tube inflated with a CO2 will lose pressure by the next day so when you get back to your car/home deflate the CO2 air and pump the tire up with your floor pump. Also a CO2 cartridge will get very cold. I typically wrap mine with some duct tape which makes a nice insulator as well as giving me a tire boot, cable strap, bandage...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Be sure to test ride the pump at the shop before buying. You may find that if you don't have Popeye forearms it will be useless.

Also buy an extra CO2 and actually use it to inflate a tire. I can't tell you how many times I have had to help someone that had never used their CO2 inflater and could not figure out how to effectively use it without shooting air everywhere but into the tube.

Reminder that a tube inflated with a CO2 will lose pressure by the next day so when you get back to your car/home deflate the CO2 air and pump the tire up with your floor pump. Also a CO2 cartridge will get very cold. I typically wrap mine with some duct tape which makes a nice insulator as well as giving me a tire boot, cable strap, bandage...

The pump that I carry has a feature that you just hook the CO2 cartridge to one side, and the other goes into the tire valve. It will then just inflate the tire once you release the air, no pumping required.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The pump that I carry has a feature that you just hook the CO2 cartridge to one side, and the other goes into the tire valve. It will then just inflate the tire once you release the air, no pumping required.

I carry a pump and an inflater:

a) the small hand pump can be used to inflate a tube once you run out of CO2 cartridges as well as getting the tube/tire bead properly seated and finding a hole in the tube that needs patched.

b) the inflater is used to get the compressed air from the CO2 cartridge into the tube.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I carry a pump and an inflater:

a) the small hand pump can be used to inflate a tube once you run out of CO2 cartridges as well as getting the tube/tire bead properly seated and finding a hole in the tube that needs patched.

b) the inflater is used to get the compressed air from the CO2 cartridge into the tube.

Yep.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I did the Hilly back in 2004. My mistake was buying a motorcycle, selling my bike and not riding for ten years.

Decided to change that and picked up a Giant Escape because it fit my budget.

Now I just need to lose 50 pounds, get some bike shoes/petals, repair kit and start training again.

Did 8 miles last night and felt pretty good. Think I'll start riding around Crane after work to start building up again.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm training for the hilly hundred right now. For my 2nd ride of this season, I rode 25.1 miles on Sunday after church. I thought it was pretty good. Average speed was 20mph.

I don't hit 20 unless I'm going downhill, lol.

Keep it up, might be time for some INGO cycling shirts ;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Giant Roam II, Med. Frame. Aftermarket saddle, water cage and frame bag.

I have to get a bell and license plate for it but I still rode the snot out of it Saturday and am off to do hill riding with the crew (oh, joy).

Think I am going to go with 3" risers on the yoke. Just don't like being bent over the bike all day.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The bike I finally settled on was a 2014 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er from Gray Goat Sports.

21c712r.jpg

Now that you have been riding for awhile, what are you seeing on the trails as far as full suspension vs. hardtail? It appears I may be moving down around the Bloomington area and I am pretty sure I will try mountain biking again. I am curious as to what's out there.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Giant Roam II, Med. Frame. Aftermarket saddle, water cage and frame bag.

Looks nice Kirk! I'm considering getting some more road-worthy tires to see how much of a difference it is from the knobbies. Of course I'd switch back for trail riding.

Now that you have been riding for awhile, what are you seeing on the trails as far as full suspension vs. hardtail?

I don't know that I'm yet experienced enough to even comment on the issue. But if I'm making a comparison, I kind of see it like the irons vs. red dot issue. Pure riding can be done without ANY suspension (we'll call this 'iron sights') and some may even argue that learning techniques that way may give a better foundation. Full suspension bikes, however, may make the ride more enjoyable, or enhance the riding experience (like 'red dots'). Hardtails are then just the middle ground. And I can see it argued that giving yourself every possible advantage with a full suspension rig would be the way to go. But for me, I couldn't justify the additional upfront costs, or the additional maintenance costs.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Looks nice Kirk! I'm considering getting some more road-worthy tires to see how much of a difference it is from the knobbies. Of course I'd switch back for trail riding.

I don't know that I'm yet experienced enough to even comment on the issue. But if I'm making a comparison, I kind of see it like the irons vs. red dot issue. Pure riding can be done without ANY suspension (we'll call this 'iron sights') and some may even argue that learning techniques that way may give a better foundation. Full suspension bikes, however, may make the ride more enjoyable, or enhance the riding experience (like 'red dots'). Hardtails are then just the middle ground. And I can see it argued that giving yourself every possible advantage with a full suspension rig would be the way to go. But for me, I couldn't justify the additional upfront costs, or the additional maintenance costs.

I'm not going with FS either. I had one and I rode it like a hardtail. I am with you on not forking out the extra money. I was just curious. I have been told that Brown County and the surrounding area for the most part have good enough trails that you really don't need FS.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I did 12.85 miles after work tonight, averaged 14mph. My fat arse is gonna feel that in the morning, but I'm glad to be back at it.

My Giant Escape

308962_10151039737833528_495688640_n.jpg

I like the Giant Roam, Kirk. May have to go give one a ride.

shinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    johnson county
    I posted earlier stating I got a new bike this spring and me and my 14 yr old son took to the trails. we have been to southwest way park as much as possible. I wanted to post pixs of our bikes but needed to get some. I love my new bike and really enjoy it.

bikes003_zps57c3cc9f.jpg

bikes006_zps600ffed1.jpg

bikes009_zpsed1c998c.jpg

bikes013_zpscdfa2e1d.jpg

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI

I did the Hilly back in '97. Fun ride. I had a buddy who went with me who gave up the first day. You'll love it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    UPDATE

At the recommendation of several folks to invest in a quality pair of biking shorts, I set out in my typical style of research-then-purchase.

I first turned my nose up at the idea because I wasn't interested in hitting the trails in spandex. But I quickly learned that "baggies" are cargo-style shorts with built-in (sometimes removable) liners with the padded chamois found in all biking shorts. An alternative and more versatile option is to purchase and wear road bike shorts underneath loose fitting athletic shorts or board shorts. I decided on the latter because it saves me from buying several pairs of $100 dedicated MTB shorts.

I went back to Gray Goat Sports to see what they had to offer. As has been typical, they started by asking questions about my riding style and then educating me on the current industry standards. I was given 5 different shorts to try, from 3 different manufacturers, priced from $35 to $60. They explained that biking shorts fit every person a little differently, so trying them on is the best way to go. And I'm glad I did, because I would've had zero frame of reference for how shorts with padded crotches are supposed to feel. :) The first pair I tried felt OK-- until I tried on the second pair. That's when I realized exactly what the salesman was talking about.

I sampled them without looking at price tags as to not bias myself. The pair I chose were $55, the second-to-highest priced pair. The first pair I had tried on that felt like a diaper ended up being the least expensive at $35. So glad I didn't buy online. I got 10% off because I bought a bike from them this year. So $50 + tax. I looked them up online when I got home and found most online retailers were selling them for $55-60.

10431481_790062751018670_4148571556271421007_n.jpg

For those who have never used a pair of biking shorts, that's the chamois pad that I'm talking about. (the shorts are inside-out) I can't quite figure out what it resembles more-- Goofy or an evil Jar Jar Binks.

I then went over to TJ Maxx and picked up a couple pairs of lightweight board shorts for under $20 a pair. Wearing them in conjunction with the bike shorts makes for an effective and reasonably priced combo that gives me the functionality and style I was looking for.

While at TJ Maxx I also came across a cheapie no-name hydration pack. It was the perfect size (small) for carrying the basic essentials and my phone and keys while I'm out on the trail. I paid $16 for it, removed the bladder, and added some paracord zipper pulls.

Eager to try out the new gear I decided to wake up early the next morning and go for a ride. I was on the trail at Southwestway Park by 8am. This was my first solo ride, so I was sure to be cautious. Which I am anyway because I'm still fairly inexperienced. I used the mountain bike version of the Runtastic mobile app to track my ride, which was very cool. Ride duration was 49 minutes and I rode 4.13 miles.

10402535_790538607637751_5337500261928871662_n.jpg

10418291_790538584304420_8334767588711756579_n.jpg

I did experience a personal victory. At SWW there is one climb that is somewhat steep, and very long. In the past I've made it up the first 1/3 and then pushed the bike up the remaining portion. The reward for all the huffing and puffing is that at the top you can chose from 2 downhill flow tracks that are like roller coasters on bikes. In the past I've tried this climb early in the session. After doing some reading about appropriate use of the 'granny gear' and proper pedal cadence, along with attempting it later in the session, I was able to climb the entire hill without stopping! Here's an upshot just before I made the climb. You can only see the first half because the second half continues up into the woods.

10389332_790538630971082_1882636814602064387_n.jpg

The new shorts worked great. They were comfortable and allowed me to focus on the trail and not my sore bum or chafing thighs. The new pack also impressed me. It was small enough and light enough and stayed in place such that I didn't notice it at all. Time will tell on how long it holds up, as the materials aren't heavy duty.

My confidence level is increasing with every ride. I'm thinking less about shifting gears, so I can now focus on other aspects like weight distribution and braking. Going solo was interesting in that I could go at my own pace and not feel like I had to keep up with the pack. I had time to enjoy my surroundings and take in the outdoors air. At one point I watched a fox trot across a clearing. I was coming off a very busy and stressful week at work, so I really enjoyed the peace and quiet time.

Next thing I'm needing is a 3- or 4-bike rack that connects to a 2" hitch. I see them come up on Craigslist from time-to-time but they go fairly quickly.

That's all for now-- will update as things progress.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    UPDATE

At the recommendation of several folks to invest in a quality pair of biking shorts, I set out in my typical style of research-then-purchase.

I first turned my nose up at the idea because I wasn't interested in hitting the trails in spandex. But I quickly learned that "baggies" are cargo-style shorts with built-in (sometimes removable) liners with the padded chamois found in all biking shorts. An alternative and more versatile option is to purchase and wear road bike shorts underneath loose fitting athletic shorts or board shorts. I decided on the latter because it saves me from buying several pairs of $100 dedicated MTB shorts.

I went back to Gray Goat Sports to see what they had to offer. As has been typical, they started by asking questions about my riding style and then educating me on the current industry standards. I was given 5 different shorts to try, from 3 different manufacturers, priced from $35 to $60. They explained that biking shorts fit every person a little differently, so trying them on is the best way to go. And I'm glad I did, because I would've had zero frame of reference for how shorts with padded crotches are supposed to feel. :) The first pair I tried felt OK-- until I tried on the second pair. That's when I realized exactly what the salesman was talking about.

I sampled them without looking at price tags as to not bias myself. The pair I chose were $55, the second-to-highest priced pair. The first pair I had tried on that felt like a diaper ended up being the least expensive at $35. So glad I didn't buy online. I got 10% off because I bought a bike from them this year. So $50 + tax. I looked them up online when I got home and found most online retailers were selling them for $55-60.

For those who have never used a pair of biking shorts, that's the chamois pad that I'm talking about. (the shorts are inside-out) I can't quite figure out what it resembles more-- Goofy or an evil Jar Jar Binks.

I then went over to TJ Maxx and picked up a couple pairs of lightweight board shorts for under $20 a pair. Wearing them in conjunction with the bike shorts makes for an effective and reasonably priced combo that gives me the functionality and style I was looking for.

While at TJ Maxx I also came across a cheapie no-name hydration pack. It was the perfect size (small) for carrying the basic essentials and my phone and keys while I'm out on the trail. I paid $16 for it, removed the bladder, and added some paracord zipper pulls.

Eager to try out the new gear I decided to wake up early the next morning and go for a ride. I was on the trail at Southwestway Park by 8am. This was my first solo ride, so I was sure to be cautious. Which I am anyway because I'm still fairly inexperienced. I used the mountain bike version of the Runtastic mobile app to track my ride, which was very cool. Ride duration was 49 minutes and I rode 4.13 miles.

I did experience a personal victory. At SWW there is one climb that is somewhat steep, and very long. In the past I've made it up the first 1/3 and then pushed the bike up the remaining portion. The reward for all the huffing and puffing is that at the top you can chose from 2 downhill flow tracks that are like roller coasters on bikes. In the past I've tried this climb early in the session. After doing some reading about appropriate use of the 'granny gear' and proper pedal cadence, along with attempting it later in the session, I was able to climb the entire hill without stopping! Here's an upshot just before I made the climb. You can only see the first half because the second half continues up into the woods.

The new shorts worked great. They were comfortable and allowed me to focus on the trail and not my sore bum or chafing thighs. The new pack also impressed me. It was small enough and light enough and stayed in place such that I didn't notice it at all. Time will tell on how long it holds up, as the materials aren't heavy duty.

My confidence level is increasing with every ride. I'm thinking less about shifting gears, so I can now focus on other aspects like weight distribution and braking. Going solo was interesting in that I could go at my own pace and not feel like I had to keep up with the pack. I had time to enjoy my surroundings and take in the outdoors air. At one point I watched a fox trot across a clearing. I was coming off a very busy and stressful week at work, so I really enjoyed the peace and quiet time.

Next thing I'm needing is a 3- or 4-bike rack that connects to a 2" hitch. I see them come up on Craigslist from time-to-time but they go fairly quickly.

That's all for now-- will update as things progress.

Great post! You really are a good writer! If this doesn't inspire people to take up the sport, then I am not sure what would!

If I get this job in Bloomington, I will be looking for a mountain bike right away.

Top Bottom