• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well after riding at lunch with my coworkers on the B-line in Bloomington I have decided that I will buy a Giant Roam 1. It will perform just fine and after taking my wife with me to test ride some bikes, she test rode some and decided she wants one to! She's getting a Giant Rove. I will end up paying about the same for two bikes as I was initially planning on spending on one!

The surprise upside for me in all this is she actually wants to partake in a hobby/activity that I like doing!

Now the deal shopping begins...:)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Brother and I went mountain biking at Fort Harrison yesterday, I was on a borrowed bike.

Holy crap!, it was a lot of fun. I had a blast.

We stopped at BGI afterwards. I'm going to be buying a mountain bike.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    When you do, travel the opposite direction of the bikes. Some, I would argue most, of the riders have no situational awareness and you'll end up with a tire up your hind end if you go in the same direction.

On a sidenote, 90% of the riders under the age of 30-35 will not even make eye contact with you, let alone say thanks, as you step off the trail to let them pass. Bikers are supposed to yield to the hikers, but that has never happened in my experience.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When you do, travel the opposite direction of the bikes. Some, I would argue most, of the riders have no situational awareness and you'll end up with a tire up your hind end if you go in the same direction.

On a sidenote, 90% of the riders under the age of 30-35 will not even make eye contact with you, let alone say thanks, as you step off the trail to let them pass. Bikers are supposed to yield to the hikers, but that has never happened in my experience.

Good to know.

I only saw one hiker, who was actually sprinting on the trails, going the opposite direction. The others were walking in the same direction as were we riding.

And I was shocked on how fast the other riders were riding. They were hauling butt, I assumed they were practicing for an upcoming race.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Near the end of my hike, I passed what I assumed was grandma, mom and granddaughter just getting started and going in the same direction as the bikes. The little girl was maybe 3 and I just cringed. I mentioned that they should probably go in the other direction and keep their eyes and ears open for the bikes. They looked at me like I had a third eye. Common sense isn't so common.

shinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    johnson county
    I spent @3 hours today on my fatbike at southwestway. saw a few other bikes today and a couple dog walkers but my riding was mostly quiet. trails were pretty dry with an occasional wet pack. but my fatbike hardly even left a track. even down on the sand leading up to the levy - rolled right on through. riding up top on easy trail by golf course I rolled up to about 15 yards of a red fox sitting in the middle of the trail. not sure which of us was more spooked. but he reacted faster than me and took off. temperatures were down today and made for a great day of riding

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    UPDATE

So I went down to Brown County to help lovemywoods with a project on Monday, and decided to bring the bike along. He has a series of doubletrack 4-wheeler trails throughout his property, and I thought I would give them a try.

But anyone who's been on his property knows just how hilly it is. All the trails are either straight up or straight down, which means I was either flying down or climbing and dying. There was no in-between. This made for an exhausting ride. My typical 40-minute ride only got me 1.5 miles. Yikes. It made me wanna cut some dedicated biking trails that would zig-zag across some of the ravines.

Workout level - 10
    Fun level - 2 :(

2z9gyae.jpg

And since this is INGO . . . . . is this a target stand, or a bike stand? :):

2yno31w.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well after riding at lunch with my coworkers on the B-line in Bloomington I have decided that I will buy a Giant Roam 1. It will perform just fine and after taking my wife with me to test ride some bikes, she test rode some and decided she wants one to! She's getting a Giant Rove. I will end up paying about the same for two bikes as I was initially planning on spending on one!

That's awesome! Bonus that you guys can spend the time together.

I'm going to be buying a mountain bike.

Since you already have a nice road bike I think this is great. It will be a nice change of pace.

I spent @3 hours today on my fatbike at southwestway.

How does riding a fatty compare to riding a traditional mtb?

shinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    johnson county
    riding my fatbike is definitely a little different. it doesn't corner as well, but when those tires stick for traction on a berm - THEY STICK. often over rotation and over steering. but even when I roll off the trail I roll over most things. it is slower to accelerate and definitely slower under braking. tire air pressure is the secret. on the street I run 18-20 pounds (max for these tires). dry trails I found 11 or 12 pounds to ride well. soft ground 4-5# is all you need. this bike is a blast to ride. I usually pull over for most other bikes and let them ride through. I just look for things to run over. and most of all I love riding through the neighbor streets. when I roll up on evening walkers they jerk around quickly to see what is coming at them. all they hear are my tires roaring down the road at them. I just smile as I look back at them laughing out load.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    UPDATE

So I went down to Brown County to help lovemywoods with a project on Monday, and decided to bring the bike along. He has a series of doubletrack 4-wheeler trails throughout his property, and I thought I would give them a try.

But anyone who's been on his property knows just how hilly it is. All the trails are either straight up or straight down, which means I was either flying down or climbing and dying. There was no in-between. This made for an exhausting ride. My typical 40-minute ride only got me 1.5 miles. Yikes. It made me wanna cut some dedicated biking trails that would zig-zag across some of the ravines.

Workout level - 10
    Fun level - 2 :(

If you get time, you should try brown county state park. Lots of trails with everything from beginner to expert. It is arguably the best trail system in the state.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Got my mountain bike tonight. Trek X-Caliber 8.

image_zps1ae503c3.jpg

image_zpse7a4212f.jpg

Got a pair of Clipless pedals for it. Planning on going to Brown County Sunday after church.

I am excited. :D

Top Bottom