• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My Latest AR-Pistol Build - Going Full Battle Worn (edit)

My latest AR Build project is one that I finally decided to do for me. The last few were done for others and to their liking, but this particular AR Pistol was done to please only me.

The idea behind this AR Pistol build was to combine new AR technologies like a modern hand guard, red dot and pistol brace, but with a completely Battle Worn look, as if the firearm had been around for many, many years.

The inspiration for this build came from a picture of an old Vietnam era M-16...
    GUlhal8l.png

My new, old AR Pistol...
    Vvf649Al.jpg

Ah3CoTnl.jpg

VcuGJfUl.jpg

Project Breakdown:

• PSA Upper with a PSA 10.5" Carbine-length gas system, 5.56 NATO, 1:7 twist and Nitrided Barrel
    • PSA 12" Slant End M-Lok Rail Hand Guard
    • PSA Fluted Flash Can
    • PSA Stealth Lower Receiver
    • PSA Enhanced Polished Trigger
    • Aluminum Oversize Trigger Guard
    • Tacticon Flip-Up Sights
    • SB Tactical SBA3 Pistol Brace
    • Suregrip ERGO Grip
    • Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot

I took the old girl out on our fist date yesterday to do a basic function test, and to get a quick 25-yard zero on the irons and red dot. I can report that she ran flawlessly, and the spent brass ejected nicely at the 4 o'clock position.

I can only say that I am exceedingly pleased with how this new/old AR pistol turned out!

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Very cool. How did you do the burnishing/aging?

Thanks!

Fine files, 800 to 2000 grit sand paper, BW Casey's Aluma Black and Easy Off oven cleaner.

The next step is to do a matte finish, clear Cerakote paint job to give it all the protection that it used to have.

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I wouldn't call that "retro" by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a damn fine example of "battle worn".

Thanks for the compliment.

I fully agree that the word "Retro" was a poor choice to describe the rifle or the effect I was trying to achieve, and Battle Worn, Aged or Distressed would have been more appropriate. I have done quite a few battle worn Cerakote jobs on guns for family and friends, but I was going for something a bit more authentic on this pistol. After studying as many old Vietnam era rifles as I could find, I finally figured out just where to work through the gun's anodizing to achieve the right balance of high tones and mid tones to get the look just right. Knowing fully well that anodizing is there for protection against scratches as well as corrosion, the final step in this project is to provide a clear matte Cerakote finish to provide the protection it needs.

Cspaulding

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2018
    Greensboro
    Very sharp looking gun. I spend time in Israel and get to see a lot of soldiers carrying WORN M16s. You nailed the look. It also reminds me of the restomod cars, first thing I thought. Excellent work!

Top Bottom