• ...and so much more!
  • 7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    To all of you who've offered their condolences, thank you, the funny thing is, that it actually did make me a stronger person, eventually. I had the help of several friends by the time I decided to leave, one of which practically lived at our house, because she knew what he was doing, and that he wouldn't do it in front of someone, because he was a coward. She'd show up at our house at around 6am, and sit on the lawn until I got up around 7. My ex got up, got breakfast, and left, all the while knowing she was sitting on the front lawn, keeping an eye on him. And with her being the foreman at the ranch I worked at, she wasn't exactly a small person, and could have, and wouldn't have hesitated to beat the living crap out of HIM if she'd needed to.

She was there when I finally made my decision to leave, and was there when I had my last surgery, (hysterectomy) Altho he made sure she wasn't there when he abused me in a very unpleasant manner 3 days later. I had 1 of 2 choices, participate and pretend to enjoy myself, while praying that any damage would be minimal, or 2, try and fight, and end up hemorrhaging to death in the middle of the living room, leaving our daughter motherless. Deb was there to take me to the Dr the next morning when she arrived, and SHE told the doctor what had happened, so that he'd understand that I wasn't a complete fool, and didn't actually agreed to such an act.

She took him aside after he got home that night, and to this day I don't know what she said to him, but I do know that he greatly feared her after that, enough to not touch me again, especially if it was a way that would leave a mark. She was also the one who organized my escape, and brought in several people to help pack us up, then load what we could into suitcases, brought other stuff to another friends house (my computer being one of the things I managed to keep), took my car up to the mechanic at the Ranch, who sold cars as a sideline, and he ended up buying it after my ex showed up there one day and mouthed off about me. My ex had no clue how many people were in on our escape, and never figured it out. She finally ended up moving back home to Iowa, and we still talk and are friends to this very day, some 20 years later.

Some of the people who helped me were off duty LEOs, who came over to help move the big stuff, that I had receipts that I'd paid for, then came with us to the airport to see us off. They also had copies of the note I'd left, saying we'd gone on vacation and I'd be in contact when we got settled after we arrived at our destination. The guys were great, and when he turned in an "involuntary missing person" report a few months later, they assured him that everything would be done to locate me. Since they already knew where I was, nothing more ever came from it. They protected my whereabouts as well. They knew where I was, I knew where we were, so in essence, I wasn't missing!

Mr. EvilWrench, I do understand what you went thru, there was an article in our paper several years ago now, that I wrote as a "letter to the editor", which ended up being a full page spread on "Domestic Violence and it's Consequences", complete with a picture our our daughter and I. I was counseling a friend of ours, who's ex-wife was pure psycho, and even tho she did everything in her power to destroy him, with our help she didn't succeed. I stated in the article that I understood what a travesty it was that altho there were umteen places for women to go, there wasn't a single place a man could go, where he could feel safe. And if he said anything about his being abused, especially by his wife, it became a laughing stock among everyone he knew.

After all, what REAL man lets his wife beat on him, he must be a real wimp to stand for such a thing. WRONG!! Men can and are just as likely to be abused as women are, it's just that society doesn't accept such things as legit! They refuse to see that men won't defend themselves against an attacking woman, for fear of being seen as the abuser, not the abusee! A man can easily fight off a woman, right? WRONG! Men can and have been raped as well, BY A WOMAN! And people will take the woman's word as gospel every time. So you see, you're not alone, and not wrong for getting yourself out of that situation, as fast as you possibly could.

Both genders also usually have to start over, from scratch, when they leave their spouse behind. At least if they want to do it and live thru the experience. We had to completely start over once we got to Indiana, all we arrived with were several suitcases full of clothes, our meds, and not what you'd exactly call "winter clothes", being as we came here from CA, and the winters in the Bay Area are FAR different than the ones here. Snow? You had to drive about 5 hours to get to some of that, and a "warm heavy coat", there, was a Spring or Fall Jacket here. Plus I wasn't allowed to wear nightgowns, or clothes of any sort when I went to bed, and IN has this weird thing of putting out Spring clothes while there's still snow on the ground outside. Plus I wasn't allowed to wear any type of sweats, so I was severely under-dressed, as was our daughter. And I didn't exactly have the extra money to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe.

You never realize what you have, until you no longer have it. And I'm just talking the simple every day things, like salt and pepper shakers, silverware, pots and pans......then move on to furniture, TV's, a phone, a CAR (that's a big one) and food, not to mention plates etc., to eat it on. So I do understand that men have it as bad, if not socially worse, than women do. Because it's not accepted as a "normal" thing to see. And no one wants to step in and help them, most of the time they're to busy laughing at what the guy is saying is happening to him.

I"M NOT accusing anyone on INGO of having such a reaction, at least the people on here know what it's like to be discriminated against, being as how hard we've had to fight to have our 2nd Amendment Rights not "infringed upon".

If you see what's happening, and it's out in public, with witnesses, by all means, for that moment, step in and do what you can. If you don't have any witnesses, have a pocket tape recorder, recording every word that is said, to use later on in your defense. Unfortunately, even tho the wife is being abused herself, she will turn and side with her abuser if she feels he's being attacked, even in her defense. And things can and do turn ugly and violent, very quickly in situations like that. That's one of the reasons that LEO's hate calls like that.

Step in if you can, but have a lawyer on retention (I'm not kidding on that one) to protect your well intended rights, and be aware that the person you're fighting for, may well turn against you without a moments hesitation. Domestic Violence is UGLY, and a blight on our society, but it's a fact that it happens, to both genders, and the consequences can be equally as UGLY, whether you're right or wrong.

Oh, and btw, I was offered the option of waiting until my ex came home drunk, taking a gun (where I'd have gotten one I don't know, it was CA remember), putting it between his eyes, and pulling the trigger. MY ATTORNEY was the one who offered me this option. He advised that I first, sign over custody of my daughter to a friend of mine, then shoot and kill my ex, and he'd get me off because of my suffering from PTSD, Battered Wife Syndrome, and a host of other psychiatric maladies he could come up with. What? And lie on the stand and perjure myself? Ummm, NO! Then I'd have had to fight to get her back, which could have taken years. It was just easier to pack up and leave. Leaving him to his own little world, and letting us start anew in ours, 2500 miles away!

We were under Police protection 24/7 every time we had a court date, to which he never showed up for. He was considered "armed and dangerous" and would have been arrested on sight, and since he would have most likely been carrying a gun under the front seat of his truck, he probably would have been shot and killed that way. Hopefully not taking an Officer with him during his act of stupidity.

He was killed in late 94, by a drug dealer, his body found at the bottom of a cliff, and a gun found about 30 feet away from his body. In his case, I guess you could say "Stupid DID hurt", at least for a moment!

So just befriend this woman, and be prepared for the rectal orifice to attack you at any given moment he happens to fly off into a rage.
    Good luck, as I said, you'll be in our prayers, as will she!
    Oh, and Mr. Evilwrench, I'll stay strong, you do the same. You did the right thing, never forget that. Hugs backatcha!

7th Stepper

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mine made me stronger, too, even though it wasn't nearly as bad. I'd be honored to meet you someday. Folks, listen to her, she knows what she's talking about. This situation sucks hard in so many ways you couldn't conceive unless you've been in it. There's so much dust in this room...

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    He's a bully, plain and simple, and NO ONE is going to scare him bad enough to stop him from beating his wife...

I strongly advise you that when you're outside, or your wife and kids are outside, that you be carrying at all times. He's a bully, and believes that he can force anyone into being afraid of him, and very well MAY attack you or your family. Be ready, be very ready, to defend them in any manner you can or have to, even if it means using "deadly force". This type of person thinks they're above the law...

Best advice from the thread so far.

The only thing that is going to save this woman from more "lessons" from her spouse is leaving him. At 60, he is not about to change his ways.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    [flamesuit]

Has she specifically asked for your help? If not, it's none of your business

[/flamesuit]

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If in talking to her, your wife draws out that your neighbor is interested, take her out and teach her to shoot. Maybe get her in touch with some good attorneys, if you know any who handle divorce work. She needs to know that for her own safety, though, he cannot know you're talking.

AFAIK the law recognizes the Battered Women Syndrome. That is, a woman is abused for a long period of time and finally snaps and kills her batterer. Not necessarily while he's in the act of battering her.

It would be awful to come to that, however, but maybe that's the only way he stops.

I don't know that the law specifically recognizes it, but juries seem to.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/n...lty-of-murder.html?_r=1&partner=MYWAY&ei=5065.

mrman740

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Portage
    OP,

Another thing, make absolutely certain that his wife and you do absolutely NOTHING to give him the impression that there's "something" going on between you two... it would give him justification for his actions in his demented mind. Just throwing that out there...

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Unfortunate that the days of working a woman beater over with a bat are long gone. I did have a friend in an abusive relationship. She did leave him, unfortunately they had a child together, and he used that as a reason to continue being a bully. The last time he decided to threaten her, she put him in the hospital. Sad part was, she was the one who went to jail that night, and he just became the laughing stock in his small town.
    I think the OP reacted in the best way possible, better than I might have handled a neighbor such as this. Hopefully things get resolved before anyone ends up in the hospital.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would not recommend getting involved in any domestic violence situation. Unless her life is in immediate and imminent danger, it's MUCH better to be a good witness and call the police. It can VERY QUICKLY go from her vs. him to both of them vs. you, and when the cops eventually show up, it'll be you going to jail. Not even cops like to get involved in DD's for exactly that reason.

I agree with this completely. Too many times someone tries to do what they think is right and the "other" person involved denies everything and they turn on you. Make your call or visit to the police, to get it on the record that you have had this confrontation with him in case you start having problems. But be VERY careful with how you get involved. You just may need your OC item.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Very tough situation and sorry your kids had to witness it. Good for you for offering help and being there if needed. :yesway:

Tough decision as far as what to do. Every situation is different and much depends on if the victim is ready to stop being a victim. It is a very sad situation, and even worse that often times after however much time the victims make excuses and refuse to get out for a number of reasons (nowhere to go, nobody to help, fear, etc..).

I would have a hard time not reporting it, but would also fear she would just deny everthing to the responding officers and then the piece of crap may do something worse to her out of anger.

It is very tough and a very horrible situation, but unless she is ready to put an end to it, there isn't much that will be done. At least she hopefully now knows she has at least one person to turn to for help if she chooses to.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Three years ago I witnessed my neighbor beat and kick his wife in the front yard. I yelled LOUDLY "HEY" and he didn't stop until he'd "got his final say" at her. He grabbed her by the hair and pulled her back inside the house.
    I saw her later that day after he'd gone to work and offered her and her two little kids a "safe house" to escape to.
    The very next day there was a knock on my door and there she stood with blood all over her face wanting to use my phone to call the police. She was shaking so bad she couldn't dial so I dialed for her and handed the phone back to her.
    LEO showed up in what seemed to be only seconds. (KUDOS LEO!)
    I took pics of her as she used the phone just in case.
    He was arrested and locked up. He also had warrants on him for DUI, no show in court, and back support to an ex.
    I found out a little later that day that he'd been doing it their whole relationship and she'd been terrified to call because he'd told her over and over that he'd kill her and both of their young children if she left him.
    The only reason that she'd called that day was because her mother had come over and noticed the busted lip and broken nose on her.
    Her mother said something to the puke and he'd started beating the mother too.
    She'd had enough at that point and came over to call the law after he'd broken all the phones.
    After his legal ordeal he got a year in jail.
    The very day of his release he went right back to their home and beat the crap out of her again.
    When the maggot went to the shower she grabbed the kids and came back to my house to call the police again.
    It took LEO longer to respond the second time and he showed up at my door threatening me and all my offspring, family, friends, pets, etc IF I Didn't get his wife to the door immediately.
    I was ready for the worse with my 1911 safely hidden in my hand in case he'd made any aggressive move to come through my door.
    Thankfully LEO showed up then and arrested him again. He had a gun on him and from his actions I think he was going to finish them off.
    As he was laying at my door in cuffs he said "I'm gonna kill you" to me. The LEO immediately said to me "IF he shows up at your door just kill him 'cause he'll kill you if you don't". I don't know if the LEO said that for me or for the abuser on the ground but I'll take it as gospel. I guess you had to be there to really understand the picture.
    No doubt he's a sick individual.
    In his sick mind she's his property and it doesn't matter what the law is or what the repercussions are. I doubt he's going to change his thinking and will always be what he is. He's a "mad dog" with singular thought.
    IF the OP gets involved be prepared for anything.
    I wish that I didn't have to be involved with all of this but I could do no different then or now.
    I didn't grow up around abuse and it's mind boggling to me how someone could put up with the abuse and torture of an abuser.
    Good Luck, God Bless, and hope everything comes out for the best

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Here's the statute:

IC 35-41-3-11
    Mental disease or defect; use of justifiable reasonable force
    Sec. 11. (a) As used in this section, "defendant" refers to an individual charged with any crime involving the use of force against a person.
    (b) This section applies under the following circumstances when the defendant in a prosecution raises the issue that the defendant was at the time of the alleged crime suffering from the effects of battery as a result of the past course of conduct of the individual who is the victim of the alleged crime:
    (1) The defendant raises the issue that the defendant was not responsible as a result of mental disease or defect under section 6 of this chapter, rendering the defendant unable to appreciate the wrongfulness of the conduct at the time of the crime.
    (2) The defendant claims to have used justifiable reasonable force under section 2 of this chapter. The defendant has the burden of going forward to produce evidence from which a trier of fact could find support for the reasonableness of the defendant's belief in the imminence of the use of unlawful force or, when deadly force is employed, the imminence of serious bodily injury to the defendant or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony.
    (c) If a defendant proposes to claim the use of justifiable reasonable force under subsection (b)(2), the defendant must file a written motion of that intent with the trial court not later than:
    (1) twenty (20) days if the defendant is charged with a felony; or
    (2) ten (10) days if the defendant is charged only with one (1) or more misdemeanors;
    before the omnibus date. However, in the interest of justice and upon a showing of good cause, the court may permit the filing to be made at any time before the commencement of the trial.
    (d) The introduction of any expert testimony under this section shall be in accordance with the Indiana Rules of Evidence.
    As added by P.L.210-1997, SEC.5.

So the victim doesn't have to be in the act of being battered. However, it's an affirmative defense that has to be proven to the jury (assuming the case is filed and goes to trial).

Obviously police reports made about the batter's past actions will be very useful evidence if the victim wants to assert this defense. So not reporting batteries, or at least telling friends about it, may make the defense harder to prove.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Why wait until next time to get the police involved??? Next time he could kill her. My mom kept waiting till next time to do something and guess what. He shot her and killed her. There is not always a next time. I would call them out now and get a report filed at least to let him know someone is watching.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Assassinate him. Agent 47 style.
    or
    I'd call the cops so that pos gets what he deserves. Either way is good choice. ;)

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Just for your own information, you should also check the public court records to see whether neighbor has any prior charges for violent offenses, whether he's been convicted or not.

I think there's a threat implicit in his "next time come to the front door". He left off the "or else". I would at least relate this little conversation to the police as well. Always best to make a record of the details.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I don't even know how people can get into these situations. You've GOT to see some sort of clue if you've spent time with someone before jumping into marrying them, or anything "permanent".
    The way men treat the other women in their lives is a BIG tip-off.

When I was dating (wayyy back in the day), a guy that I was seeing said something absolutely degrading to his MOTHER. I said, "that was a really ****ty thing to say" and I walked outside. He followed me...and then slapped me.

So I decked him and he dropped like a sack of poop.
    That was the end of that relationship.

Don't judge me. My mom thinks I'm cool. :)

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    I don't even know how people can get into these situations. You've GOT to see some sort of clue if you've spent time with someone before jumping into marrying them, or anything "permanent".

When I was dating (wayyy back in the day), a guy that I was seeing said something absolutely degrading to his MOTHER. I said, "that was a really ****ty thing to say" and I walked outside. He followed me...and then slapped me.

That's far easier said than done. And it's the usual response we get and expect from people who've never been in this type of situation or our shoes. You may have had the ability to clobber him, that doesn't mean most do, most of the time, they don't! And if they do fight back, then they get beaten far worse than they would have been, had they submitted and hoped the abuser would stop before he killed them. I have heard the "Why didn't you just leave?" statement so often that it no longer upsets me or even raises an eyebrow on me. Leave? WHERE? HOW? WHEN? and TO WHOM? And who CAN YOU TRUST to keep you safe, as well as hidden? IF NOT YOUR OWN HUSBAND, THEN WHO???

You can't just pack your stuff and leave, especially if the abuser is standing over you while you're doing it, or threatening to do it. You're signing your own death warrant if you try that. That's up there with "If you hurt me, I'll call the cops on you!" At that point, they have nothing to lose, so beating you has just become their only option to silencing you, and terrorizing you into never saying, thinking, or attempting to do it again! At least you had some warning that he was a violent person to begin with, MOST of us have none, since they're on their "best behavior" until they have you ensnared in their trap and by then it's too late to get out.

I was rushed into the relationship, and 3 months after meeting him, we were married. His 1st ex-wife told me some of the horror stories, but he had me believing that she was psycho, and filed for the divorce while his back was turned, then had the sheriff serve the papers on him while he was at work, almost destroying his hard earned, "good reputation".

Also, keep in mind that most people who are involved in these types of situations are young, I was ONLY 24 when this whole thing started, and hadn't had a lot of experience with men at all, being as I'd grown up being a "fatty". No guy that age will date a fat girl, at least while in Middle or High School. I'd been bullied since grade school, and only found out much later (years after my mother had been killed by my ex, yes, HER he managed to kill, WITHOUT my knowledge at the time) when my sister told me that my mom had intentionally kept me overweight, so that she didn't have to deal with all the teenage dating rituals.

My dad passed away when I was 15, so I didn't have a male role model to refer to, and she raised me single handedly from that point on. I wasn't even asked to my HS Senior Ball, so my nephew (who is 3 years older than I am) took me. I was thrilled, UNTIL I found out later, (during the same conversation with my sister) that my mom had paid him $50 to take me. I was truly humiliated. I'd been made fun of, had only "misfit" friends (altho good ones, most of us have remained friends to this day), had been made the butt of any and every joke anyone could think of to pull on me, to make me more laughable, and so on. I had VIRTUALLY NO experience with men of any kind, and his attention was the first "real" relationship I'd ever experienced. Oh, and I can't forget to mention that while I was in High School, it was an all girl one, run by nuns. No boys/men allowed, even as teachers! Our sex ed classes were a joke, and focused entirely on the "reproductive system", because it was our destiny/job to "procreate", and raise our children to be good little religious robots". That's not the wording they used, the last 2 words are mine.

My ex was so sweet and considerate when we first started going out (altho a bit odd at times), always did what I wanted to do, introduced me to his 3 children from his first marriage, took me to fancy places, and I was completely and totally "in love with him", or at least thought I was. The real abuse didn't start until we'd been married about 4 months, and then it started out very slowly. My clothes began to come up missing, and he originally said that he had no clue what happened to them, he later on changed his story and said he'd thrown them out, because they weren't "ascetically correct" a term he often used if he considered something unworthy by his standards, a term that I've come to hate over the years!

The beating started slowly as well, always with him begging my forgiveness and promising to "never do it again". Yea, and I stupidly believed him, because of course "he really did love me, he just sometimes had a difficult way of showing that he did". Which is the usual mindset of the victim by that point. Then the verbal abuse set in, things like "I only married you because you make me look so much smarter", "I can always use you as arm candy" and the real kicker "I married you for your mothers money". And got worse as time went on. The comment about the money unfortunately was a real one, he knew she had it, because she was always bailing us out of the financial messes he got us into. Not only was he an alcoholic, he gambled, had a sex addiction, was a compulsive liar, and cheated on me from probably the "gitgo". All of which I was blind to, because after all, "I was so lucky to have him, because I was so..<fill in insulting comment here> that I at least had someone who loved me. Because no one else ever would.

The beatings started to become more frequent, and the sexual abuse started happening. I won't go into details on that, it's 1) personal, and 2) far to painful for me to attempt to try and remember them all. Let's just say he gave new meaning to the words "kinky" and "sadistic". And I was fully brainwashed by that point, into thinking that our relationship was "normal", all husbands did what they wanted to behind closed doors. After all, you can do what you want to, to/with your own property.

The law that was stated here a few posts back, had just started to become a defense when I left him, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway, we were by then in 2 different states. And even if I'd considered it while there, the thought of being separated from my daughter for years, was NOT one I was willing to risk! I waited 6 months before I served him with divorce papers, (so that IN Law would take precedence over CA law, so he couldn't haul me back there and make good on his threats!) all the while pretending to be "completely in love with him, I just had some medical issues that the doctors had to get rid of, before I could return to our life together". Was BS! And he bought it, hook, line and sinker.

He also never bothered to come looking for us, he wouldn't fly, and didn't want to put the wear and tear on his truck with that much mileage. By then my daughter and I were on our own, and basically living from hand to mouth. I made sure that SHE ate, even if it meant I didn't. I wasn't fat by any stretch of the imagination when we first arrived, the people I stayed with took pictures of me in a bikini (that we had to pin up so it would stay on me), that I eventually used in court to prove what I was saying, was really what he was like. I'm not short, I'm 5'7" tall, and at that point, weighed 118 lbs.

He also had me addicted to Valium, because my Drs out in CA had a hunch on what was going on, and thought they could help me emotionally cope by making me a bit numb, mentally and emotionally. Well that backfired! He'd dole out the medication, and when we arrived here, I was taking upwards of 80mgs a day! That's enough to knock out a horse! But since he'd upped the dose so slowly, my body had built up a tolerance to it, and more was needed for him to "keep me under control" from "my violent rages" (umm, can we say I actually DID try to defend myself every once in a while?)

I decided to kick the Valium addiction, and went off it "cold turkey". Not the wisest of choices, because since I knew almost nothing about drugs of that nature, I had no idea what I was throwing my system into. Over the course of 1 month, I dropped from 118 lbs, down to 98 lbs, and looked like the survivor of a Death Camp in Germany post WW2! When my doctors here figured out what I'd done, they wanted to hospitalize me, but since I had no where my daughter could stay (Bill wasn't in the picture yet) I refused and went thru the DT's by myself, using LEGO blocks to help calm my nerves. To this day I HATE Legos!

The addiction finally wore off, and Thank God (and my ever present Guardian Angels) no permanent damage was done by the method with which I used to get myself off it. But my convincing my ex that I was coming back, worked, so that eventually when I figured out how to do it, I could ask him for "money to pay the doctors with" and he'd send me $1000. or so. He wanted no record of my being seen by "mind altering doctors who preached religion and anti-establishment values" which meant he didn't want anyone to know that I was supposedly seeing a shrink for mental issues. That's known as "hey, whatever works!"

So when he would send the money, I'd do 2 things with it, 1) buy groceries for us, and 2) by my daughter clothing that would keep her cool in the summer and more importantly, warm in the winter! I pleaded "car trouble" once (he actually thought I'd driven here), and he sent me money to get it repaired, so I could sell it and bring the money home to him. (Nope, I used it to pay our rent!)

When Bill arrived in the picture, I had already filed for divorce, and was under police protection, and whenever I had to go to court, Bill would go with me, as moral and emotional support. Apparently the attorney my ex hired noticed this, and it got back to my ex that there was a man with me, who was "infringing on HIS rights of ownership", so I'd better tell him to get lost, or he'd kill us both"! Until I brought it up in court, thru my lawyer, that I had our 4 year old daughter with me to care for, and I needed child support in order to help meet our expenses. (my ex's attorney didn't even know there WAS A MINOR CHILD INVOLVED! My ex never saw fit to mention her, at all! Consequently, when the final decision was handed down, I received full and sole custody of our daughter, full control of the visitation rights, and a piddly amount of money for child support. My ex plead poor, since I'd "walked off with everything of any value". Right, that's why most everything was being used in his sons home, then piled in the garage for me to come pick u after the final decree. And I was going to pay for getting it here HOW?

What I did take, I used to pay our bills, set up a home for us, buy a bed and all the things like blankets, a comforter, etc. and the odd thing was, I was so completely brainwashed, that I set up our new home, just like the one I had left, even down to the placement of the furniture! When I went grocery shopping for the first time, I also duplicated everything that I was used to having, never realizing until after we got home, that I neither used, nor needed half of what I'd just bought. So I returned it for things we WOULD like, and could stretch out to make more than 1 meal out of. To this day, if I never eat Hamburger Helper again, it'll be to soon! It was almost a year down the line before I figured out that I COULD buy TV Dinners, frozen food, food that you could make that came out of a jar or a box, and that since I didn't drink, the beer was totally an unnecessary item that I didn't need to spend money on.

It took me THAT LONG to finally wake up and realize that I could do whatever I wanted, and not risk his retaliation for doing it.That was a mind blower! By the time my divorce was final (it took almost a year from the first day we arrived here) I had sold just about everything of any value, including my wedding rings and a few family heirlooms, to keep us from starving to death, or freezing to death, because the $60. a week from him, didn't even come close to supporting her needs. She was a growing child, both upwards, and finally outwards! When we first arrived here, I wasn't the only one who was underweight, at the age of 3 (almost 4) she weighed 24 lbs, and you could count every rib on her body, and all the vertebra in her back. I fixed that in a big hurry! He could no longer restrict what we ate (especially her, he would actually take food from her plate and eat it himself if he felt she had to much). He didn't want a FAT daughter, a FAT wife was bad enough! The doctors referred to it as "forced anorexia", a common result of someone who's being abused and starved.

Bill arrived here to stay in June of 93, and we've been together ever since. And now that I have something to base my knowledge of men on, I know for a fact that I have an almost perfect husband, Because he cares more about me and our daughter, than he does about himself! And will go without himself if he thinks we should have it, regardless of what "it" is. We're pampered, spoiled, respected, loved, cared for and about, and treated like the worthwhile people we are, and we treat him the same way. Because HE deserves it as well. He (IMO) is the best husband I could have ever hoped for, and I appreciate him all the more for what I went thru before him, and that he put an end to moving here to be with me. We've been together since Christmas Eve 1992, and this Christmas Eve will be our 19th Anniversary. We've been married 17 years now, and it still feels like yesterday, and like I'm a newlywed, by the way he treats me. I think my Guardian Angels picked him out for me, and the ironic thing is, is that we'd never met, but had talked via the computer, on a bulletin board just like this, back when Prodigy was around. And had talked a few times by phone, but that was it. We were friends, and now we're husband and wife. And he's stood by my side thru thick and thin, which to me is WHAT a TRUE and LOVING husband does, to show his love for his wife. I'm not his property, I'm his most cherished dream come true. Not my words, but his.

So by now you might have an idea of what this poor woman is going thru, and the mindset she has had beaten into her. It will take something drastic to wake her up, I only hope and pray that it's not her own death that causes it. She can't "JUST LEAVE" she has NO WHERE TO GO! And anyone who intervenes is putting themselves and their families at risk as well. As I said in my prior post, CARRY AT ALL TIMES, and be ready to use it to defend yourself or one of your loved ones, at a moments notice, if you get that much warning. Most people who get attacked by people like him, are snuck up upon, and hit when and where they least expect it. If your wife carries, have her carry at all times as well, if not for herself, to protect your children. He won't care who he hurts, he's already proven that! People like him are cowards, and cowards are sneaky. And you MUST keep this in mind at all times, DO NOT LET YOUR GUARD DOWN! It could be a matter of life and death.
    Who's will only be shown after the effect of his movements cause wears off.

7th Stepper

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    That's far easier said than done.

No, not really. You just need two things.
    #1) Self worth.
    #2) Anger.
    It all comes down to righteous indignation and how much you are worth *to yourself*. It sucks that you've been in the situation that you were, and thankfully you're not still there. But the bottom line is that once you find the line in the sand (the *thing* that makes it worth the trouble of getting out), then you get out. For you, it sounds like your line in your sand was your kid.
    Apparently, I discovered during my encounter with it, my line is Me.

I was rushed into the relationship

I tried to follow along with what you wrote, but short of having an "arranged marriage", I don't follow. Even though you say you were young, you were still an adult woman with the capability of making your own way without a man.

didn't start until we'd been married about 4 months

I find it incredibly odd to say you do not know the character of a person you're LIVING with for that length of time. Especially after hearing "horror stories" from his ex.

Bottom line in a relationship is this; You Choose.
    If you chose wrong, you need to reset and figure out plan B.
    You said yourself that you did exactly that, too.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY

some people's relatonships with their mother's aren't hunky dory.

I am not defending his slapping you. That's a you-know-what-bag thing to do. But just because someone has a negative opinion of their mother, makes them neither a misogynist nor a woman beater.

Top Bottom