• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I bought one of their "specials" from CMP last summer...looks similar to yours. And you're right.... $$ wise, ouch. :) Ammo can be expensive too, except my shoulder wears out first. :)

I guess I've become too used to my AR and .223 ammo. I can't imagine hauling this beast plus .30-06 ammo all over Europe, can you? And then engage in a fire fight? Geez.

I'll admit it...that's when men where men... God bless them all.

I'm just happy to have a piece of history. :yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Nice looking rifle! i will be driving back from florida in late July and plan to stop at the CMP near atlanta and pick out my very first Garand! That is one hell of a great looking rifle!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Nice looking rifle! i will be driving back from florida in late July and plan to stop at the CMP near atlanta and pick out my very first Garand! That is one hell of a great looking rifle!

Just so you know, the South Store is in Anniston, Alabama...so not real close to Atlanta. Still on the way back from Florida, and a great place to stop!

sbude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Nice rifle. Hope to pick one up this summer. I've got all my paperwork lined up, now just have to put away a few more pennies... It also shoots one of the only calibers still on the shelves.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Nice rifle. Hope to pick one up this summer. I've got all my paperwork lined up, now just have to put away a few more pennies... It also shoots one of the only calibers still on the shelves.

Just be careful with that 30-06 that is still on the shelves. Much of it is loaded hotter than the M1 was designed to shoot, and you can ruin the gas operating rod in the rifle. If you want to shoot modern commercial ammunition, I strongly recommend an adjustable gas valve.

sbude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Just be careful with that 30-06 that is still on the shelves. Much of it is loaded hotter than the M1 was designed to shoot, and you can ruin the gas operating rod in the rifle. If you want to shoot modern commercial ammunition, I strongly recommend an adjustable gas valve.

I didn't know that, thanks I'll keep that in mind. I was hoping to score some ammo at the CMP if they had any.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    there are also stronger op rods you can get for this as well. the cmp still has tons of surplus m2 ball. great stuff, its old, but it shoots great. 200 rounds in ammo can for 110 shipped to your door. approx 50 cents a round, cheaper than normal .30-06. and the hxp brass is good for reloading.

beautiful rifle btw. i have seen quite a few and taken one myself out to the kd range on base at camp atterbury during appleseed events. carrying that rifle with a usgi sling is actually quite comfortable, its the ammo that gets heavy.

Scoe3202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    That is a beautiful rifle, never really considered a Garand but that is a nice looking gun.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Here was the description of the rifle pictured

"Here is an absolutely gorgeous M1 Garand Rifle. In as new condition, this is what the CMP calls the CMP Special. I got this from a friend years ago because the wood and metal finish were so superb. I was up at Anniston last month and believe me folks, they just don't make 'em like they used to....much less have them in stock. This is an "as new" rifle. All the metal is either WW2 NOS or refinished to new condition. The Springfield Receiver is a WW2 part S/N 271xxxx. The Op Rod is marked D35382SA and has a spot of pitting just above the markings. The Barrel is a new MILSPEC Criterion Barrel in MINT-NEW condition marked 6535448 8/06 2J CBI and gages 1.0 at the muzzle and 0.5 at the breech. The WW2 era Bolt is marked -12 SA. The TG parts are all WW2 as well; the TH is marked -12 SA, the Hammer -5 SA, the Safety marked -9 SA, the Plunger has wings and the Trigger Guard is unmarked Milled. All parts are in as new condition. The most magnificent part of the gun however is the wood. The Stock & HG's are made of new production Black Walnut with the most spectacular grain pattern I have ever seen on a rifle (see pic).What more can I say. If you want an as new condition M1 Garand then here it is. PS, I'm calling it USED just to be safe since it has WW2 parts on it."

Thanks for the kind words!

As far as ammo goes, I will be shooting 30-06 designed for the M1 Garand (Federal Match, American Eagle, Hornady, Milsurp), and I just ordered 500 rounds of the Federal 150 gr. Match ammo. Pretty expensive stuff, but you don't want to ruin a good rifle by going the cheap route on your ammo!

And yes, the M1s are getting VERY expensive! I paid just over $1600 for this rifle shipped. Crazy money, but for a rifle I plan to pass down to my son or daughter, it with pay for itself many times over.

Thanks again for the kind words. Firearms are a great hobby for sure!

Vanguard.45

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Looks great! I have a M1 Carbine I got from my grandpa and love it. Super fun to shoot. Only problem is finding .30 carbine ammo...

Atkinson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Very nice, I just got an email from the cmp, stating my sa service grade m1 garand
    Will be delivered on Monday, I can't wait!!!!!

11B20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    I got my service grade Springfield M1 from CMP and ammo last week. It is a great looking rifle. The stock looks new. Can't wait to go shoot it. +1 for CMP. I will order another one soon.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I was sitting where you are, chilly, about a month ago

Now, I've got a Garand!

Had to sell a bunch of stuff to get her, but glad I did.

For me, she's the epitome of Americana (along with my Colt 1911).

Vanguard.45

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    From experience, I can say that holding and shooting milsurps like yours is a way of holding history in our hands. That is a truly gorgeous example.

Top Bottom