• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Everyone knows that the Economy sucks, right? The question is, why does it suck? What could have caused this disaster? Well here are a few reasons I believe it is the way it is.

Greed... It's everywhere, and will always be there. From the CEO's of big business to our Politicians it is unescapable.
    Laziness... More and more people have the "I'm entitled" attitude. They believe they deserve everything handed to them which isn't so.
    Stupidity... Not just our elected officials, but those who voted for them. Those who actually believe the crap that comes out of their mouths. They lie! How else do you think they got there, their charm?
    Illegals... Not only are they stealing our jobs, they are not paying into the system causing it to be lopsided. In addition these people move here to have a better life yet they try to change everything to be more like their Home Country. If you like your Country so much, go the hell back!
    Outsourcing... Capitalism is a good thing, but at what cost. I honestly believe that these companies are run by idiots. Sure they save money on cheap labor, but with all of us losing jobs they will end up without a consumer base. Then what Einstein?
    Overpopulation... Yes that's right, I said it. More people means we need more food, oil, resources etc. etc. At some point it will be impossible to keep up with. Not to mention all those that really can't afford children, yet they keep on having them and expect everyone else to pay for them.
    False Sense of Security... Many people these days take more risks because they believe the Government will bail them out. They use this as a security net and that needs to stop. If you buy a car, home etc. and can't afford it, oh well. That's your problem not mine or the millions of other tax payers problem.
    All this is just my observation, and since I'm just a dumb hick I may be totally wrong. I do know one thing for sure though, the way it's been going isn't working and it seems no one knows how to fix it. That gives me reason for concern and you should be concerned too.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Government intrusion is the only reason we're so ****ed right now.

Everything else has built-in corrective mechanisms if left alone. It's government trying to "fix" what you see as a problem that has sent us down our slippery slope.

DustinG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    It is BIG GOVERNMENT... In the 1990's, Clinton signed a bill that made the banks make a minimum amount of loans. So if the bank decided that there was 500 good loans to make, the government said they had to make 750 (this is just an example, not real numbers). Then in the 2000's, Bush passed a bill that forced no-income verification loans. So a person making $30,000 a year could claim that they made $200,000 and the bank could not verify that. These in combination forced the housing bubble. Let's not also mention that .com bubble.

The fact is that every couple of decades or so in a real free market there is a recession, but then things improve. However, we do not have a real free market; government interference have prevented the cycle of the free market and will eventually collapse it.

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    I agree Government has a lot to do with it, but we the people didn't and/or aren't helping. We need to take some responsiblitiy for our actions and stop blaming the Government for eveything.

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    So basically you are saying that just because the Government and/or the bank told people they could afford it than those people did nothing wrong? I believe it is the people's responsiblity to know for themselves what they can and can't afford. You think I would listen to some banker tell me what he thinks I can afford, hell no!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hmmm, What is missing in your hypothesis is personal responsibility. I agree with Doug. Our current generation has lost sight of being frugal and responsible. Previous generations have learned that lesson the hard way and now we are again learning the same lesson, but that lesson will be lost if you blame everyone else.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So basically you are saying that just because the Government and/or the bank told people they could afford it than those people did nothing wrong? I believe it is the people's responsiblity to know for themselves what they can and can't afford. You think I would listen to some banker tell me what he thinks I can afford, hell no!

If the government hadn't required banks to lend money to people who wouldn't normally qualify, stupid wouldn't even factor in to it.

Every single one of your factors is kept in check by others when the system is operating without government intervention. Pick up an economics book by Sowell.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I didn't agree with the Wall Street bailout,
    I didn't agree with the Automotive bailout,
    I didn't agree with the approval of the Healthcare bill.

I do have a job, I do pay taxes,
    I am involved in my local community.

I don't spend what I don't have.
    I do have a voice and I express it.

I can't blame my neighbor for allowing illegal immigration,
    I can't blame him for debt placed on my teenage kids,
    I don't accept responsability for allowing handouts being provided to baby mills.

If this is not the Government's fault, it must be my damn dogs.

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    As I said I'm a dumb hick so forgive me if I can't understand your reasoning. How exactly does protecting the border work without the Government intervening? How does Government intervention keep laziness, greed and stupidity in check? I don't recall the Government being involved with overpopulation or outsourcing either. Wouldn't that be infringing on our rights? So again I can't seem to follow you.

About this Sowell guy. Never heard of him and even if I had I'm sure whatever he says can be refuted by no less than a dozen other Economists so who do I beleive? Him or them?

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    I didn't agree with the Wall Street bailout,
    I didn't agree with the Automotive bailout,
    I didn't agree with the approval of the Healthcare bill.

I do have a job, I do pay taxes,
    I am involved in my local community.

I don't spend what I don't have.
    I do have a voice and I express it.

I can't blame my neighbor for allowing illegal immigration,
    I can't blame him for debt placed on my teenage kids,
    I don't accept responsability for allowing handouts being provided to baby mills.

If this is not the Government's fault, it must be my damn dogs.

Or and I'm just spitballing here. Maybe it's hundreds of thousands of irresponsible Americans who casued it too. As I said the Government has a lot to do with it, but so do we. I use we as All Americans in general not just you.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As I said I'm a dumb hick so forgive me if I can't understand your reasoning. How exactly does protecting the border work without the Government intervening? How does Government intervention keep laziness, greed and stupidity in check? I don't recall the Government being involved with overpopulation or outsourcing either. Wouldn't that be infringing on our rights? So again I can't seem to follow you.

About this Sowell guy. Never heard of him and even if I had I'm sure whatever he says can be refuted by no less than a dozen other Economists so who do I beleive? Him or them?

I think he is basically agreeing with you. Thomas Sowell is no friend of government intervention.

Trading_Fool

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree to a point. People should be responsible for themselves, and buisnesses too. The problem is that noone is held to the commitments that they have made. Bailouts through the government or bankruptcies has destroyed this country. If you borrowed it, you should pay it. If you cannot make the payments then a aggreement can be made, but you are still responsible for the debt in full. Ten years or one hundred, it is your debt.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Try again. I said government intervention screws things up. The other factors are kept in check WITHOUT it.

Well, do you want to be right or do you want to be wrong? :dunno:

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Seems to me to be deliberate forces at work attempting to wreck the economy, make people have to fall back on government. From what I see, many people are right there ready to grift off the labors of others without shame.

redlegrod

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Try again. I said government intervention screws things up. The other factors are kept in check WITHOUT it.

I couldn't agree with you more. If so called government regulation wasn't in place the big bad free market bankers wouldn't have loaned money to high risk people.

Who wouldn't stay at the poker table all night when you know your buddies are going to keep fronting you more money to play?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Everyone knows that the Economy sucks, right? The question is, why does it suck? What could have caused this disaster? Well here are a few reasons I believe it is the way it is.

Greed... It's everywhere, and will always be there. From the CEO's of big business to our Politicians it is unescapable.
    Laziness... More and more people have the "I'm entitled" attitude. They believe they deserve everything handed to them which isn't so.
    Stupidity... Not just our elected officials, but those who voted for them. Those who actually believe the crap that comes out of their mouths. They lie! How else do you think they got there, their charm?
    Illegals... Not only are they stealing our jobs, they are not paying into the system causing it to be lopsided. In addition these people move here to have a better life yet they try to change everything to be more like their Home Country. If you like your Country so much, go the hell back!
    Outsourcing... Capitalism is a good thing, but at what cost. I honestly believe that these companies are run by idiots. Sure they save money on cheap labor, but with all of us losing jobs they will end up without a consumer base. Then what Einstein?
    Overpopulation... Yes that's right, I said it. More people means we need more food, oil, resources etc. etc. At some point it will be impossible to keep up with. Not to mention all those that really can't afford children, yet they keep on having them and expect everyone else to pay for them.
    False Sense of Security... Many people these days take more risks because they believe the Government will bail them out. They use this as a security net and that needs to stop. If you buy a car, home etc. and can't afford it, oh well. That's your problem not mine or the millions of other tax payers problem.
    All this is just my observation, and since I'm just a dumb hick I may be totally wrong. I do know one thing for sure though, the way it's been going isn't working and it seems no one knows how to fix it. That gives me reason for concern and you should be concerned too.

Greed - What does this word mean? Does it mean wanting to keep what I earn? Wanting to earn as much as I want to earn? Willing to do anything legal to earn it? If you answer yes to any of these questions we have an unnarrowable philosophical divide.

Laziness - They feel entitled because they've become entitled. Get rid of all entitlement programs.

Stupidity. I disagree. The right word is cunning. They are expert in finding you hot button and pushing it.

Illegals - Couldn't agree more.

Outsourcing - Couldn't agree less. Companies don't exist to give you a job. They exist to return a rate of return to their sharholders sufficient to attract their capital. If you can be automated out of a job you should be. That's corporate responsibility. If you don't like it startt your own company and attract your own investors.

Overpopulation - Back to agreeing. Fix the illegal alien problem and you'll fix the overpopulation problem for a few years.

False sense of security - Failed decisions lead to failed results. Government intervention doesn't change the results - it just spreads the effect to those who were not involved in the decisions that led to it.

HeatSink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Is there any way to escape the train-wreck of the economy??

Yes, for some of us there is. Most of us are pretty much more self-sufficient than most other schmucks in the local economy. We need to protect and defend ourselves and our families and those like the rest of us on this forum. We need to improve our oun lots in every way we can. There are a multitiude of ideas that we know and can apply to the betterment of each of us. We need each other. Who will be the first to share any economic self-improvement hint?? I'll send mine by IM to the first 5 who choose to participate. It can be done. We must!

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Seems to me to be deliberate forces at work attempting to wreck the economy, make people have to fall back on government. From what I see, many people are right there ready to grift off the labors of others without shame.

I wouldn't say it's without shame. Most people want to work for a living and resort to living off the public dole because it's either that or starve to death. You sure can't rely on the generosity of others, especially when they are barely scraping by.

We're in a messed up situation. Our government is far more concerned with swaying foreign governments that they are with what is happening here. Businesses are more concerned with squeezing every last penny out of the customer than with making a good product and employing people.

The general populace is at war with each other. You have people who drink the korporate koolaid like it's got the antidote in it, people who are trying to make a living and the rest who want something for nothing.

Anyone who points this stuff out and thinks it should be addressed is accused of heresy and being a <insert slander of the day here>.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

Answers 1-50 are government spending,,,answers 51-100 are the Federal Reserve...

Top Bottom