• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    This saturday as some of you know my first born will be turning six. As we are trying to bestow on him both morals and responsibility I think he has proven enough to earn a slot in the gun safe. I am trying to decide between the Marlin 795 or the Cricket. He is very tall and slender for his age thanks to the great genetics on his fathers side:rolleyes:. If the 795 doesn't fit him now it won't take long and I would hate for the cricket to get used by the silly looking 6' 200 and something lbs dad as there are enough reasons to laugh at me already. I like the idea of a bolt gun for a first rifle but not so much a single shot. Seems like there are the same amount of pros and cons on both sides and I just can't make up my mind.. oh and if you are going to say price point they are both on sale for the same price at gander this weekend. So guys AND GALS before I go shopping on friday throw your opinions at me.

kmshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Boone Co.
    snowman,

You might want to take a look at Savage. There are several models out there that might fit the bill for your son. I have shot one and it is very accurate and also easy to handle. I bought my daughter a Marlin 981T last year and it is also a great rifle. There are Pro's and Con's to both magazine fed and tube fed rifles. Magazines are nice to have when you need to remove ammunition from the rifle quickly, however, they are also easily misplaced especially by youngsters. Tube type rifles hold more ammunition but are more troublesome to unload if you don't want to cycle the rifle to empty it.

Another option is the new Marlin XT22 series. I'm not sure if they are available yet but the specs are pretty impressive for an entry level rifle. It looks like the new trigger system on the Marlin is trying to compete with the Accutrigger on the Savage.

It's great to hear you are bringing you son into the wonderful world of shooting. I have 2 daughters that shoot as well as my wife. It is a lot of fun to have everyone in the family involved in shooting.

kmshooter

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You should search around for Techres's thread on the Cricket that he tacti-cooled out for one of his kids.

Threaded barrel...red dot... Fun!

-J-

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think you are trying to lean towards the 795. If so then I am sure you have the right reasons and you know your son better than us. So if you think he is ready for the 795 and it will get more use and be useful much longer then I would go for the 795. Both are great, so you cant go wrong. Good luck with your decision and congrats on your son's first gun :rockwoot:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I think you are trying to lean towards the 795. If so then I am sure you have the right reasons and you know your son better than us. So if you think he is ready for the 795 and it will get more use and be useful much longer then I would go for the 795. Both are great, so you cant go wrong. Good luck with your decision and congrats on your son's first gun :rockwoot:

I am about as solid on this as a new born is in a topless bar. The pros and cons were too many to list and they balanced out to be about the same thats why I came here.

fergie22

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    walkerton
    :)you are a good dad my father at around that age took me out and handed me a 10 gauge long tom and then laughed his ass off when i ended up 3 yards away and flat on my back. teach him well

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    :)you are a good dad my father at around that age took me out and handed me a 10 gauge long tom and then laughed his ass off when i ended up 3 yards away and flat on my back. teach him well

Ha grandpa took me out back with a p38, I ended up on my butt and crying a little bit he asked if I was scared I said yes he said good lets go talk.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Appreciate the input but unless somebody picks up my stuff for sale in the classifieds I am shooting for whats on sale at gander

wow most sale items at gander still cost more than gunshops :dunno: imaging my surprise when i looked in the add in sundays paper for a ruger sr9c for 459.00 AFTER a 50.00 savings (i know where you can buy them for 429.00 everyday)

i wish gun company's would make rifles and shotguns that would grow with a child, i know a 870 would cost more with a second stock, but imagine swapping out a youth stock, for a full size stock and have it all in the same box(from the factory!)

how about a 10/22 cut down the factory stock and in a few years buy a hogue or butler creek stock for it?

its cheaper than buying two guns ,the cricket or chipmunk wont last long kids grow fast!

just my :twocents:

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I think a good bolt .22 is great for your son. Take a look at the next gun show and see what turns up, take him along. I have been tossing this around, although it is early yet since my sons are 4 and 2.
    My idea has been find a unique, older bolt action in good shape. I would like to find one of the old military trainers that hasnt been beat to death. I know i'll pay more but that will be something special that he can take care of and pass down to the next generation

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Appreciate the input but unless somebody picks up my stuff for sale in the classifieds I am shooting for whats on sale at gander

You might make the short trip to Bass and Bucks in Wabash; they have a lot of long guns and quite a few used guns also. Might find a nice used 22 there. From converse it’s not too far out of the way if you are going to the Gander in Ft. Wayne.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    You might make the short trip to Bass and Bucks in Wabash; they have a lot of long guns and quite a few used guns also. Might find a nice used 22 there. From converse it’s not too far out of the way if you are going to the Gander in Ft. Wayne.

thanks for reminding me I have a ton of easton shafts that need revained that i need to talk to them about.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    My dad gave me a Marlin 15Y when I was six. I am 35 now and my 5 year old son will get it when he is ready. It was great for a little kid, but I outgrew it quickly. The Cricket may be a good place to start, but you'll be replacing it soon.

I have always thought bolt actions were a better beginner gun than a semi. The 15Y is a single shot. Taught me to make each shot count. Had to manually action the gun between shots. Young fingers with guns that go bang every time they pull the trigger can get themselves in a bad situation quick.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    This saturday as some of you know my first born will be turning six. As we are trying to bestow on him both morals and responsibility I think he has proven enough to earn a slot in the gun safe. I am trying to decide between the Marlin 795 or the Cricket. He is very tall and slender for his age thanks to the great genetics on his fathers side:rolleyes:. If the 795 doesn't fit him now it won't take long and I would hate for the cricket to get used by the silly looking 6' 200 and something lbs dad as there are enough reasons to laugh at me already. I like the idea of a bolt gun for a first rifle but not so much a single shot. Seems like there are the same amount of pros and cons on both sides and I just can't make up my mind.. oh and if you are going to say price point they are both on sale for the same price at gander this weekend. So guys AND GALS before I go shopping on friday throw your opinions at me.

I bought my son for his first rifle a SAVAGE MARK 1Y 22 LR. single shot, WALMART mistakenly had it marked $49.99:D I then bought a BUSHNELL 4X28 scope. This rifle is a "TACK DRIVER" Once he learn the basic gun safety & learn how to shoot, I bought him a REMINGTON 597 semi-auto 22 LR.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Get him the Marlin 795. My first gun was a Model 60 at around age 8 I would guess. It seemed like a big gun at the time, but I grew into it. I still have it to this day and love to shoot it. So much in fact, that I bought a 795 to go along side it.

You will be much happier in the long run with the 795, and I would even offer up the plastic stock that came off mine if you want to try to cut it down to size for him, while saving the other for the future.

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I'd go with the marlin... My oldest is going to be 8 in june and she (also tall and slender) is already starting to outgrow her cricket she got for her 6th birthday. Not that it isn't a good gun but I wish I had gotten her something a little bigger. Now I have to share my 10/22 and don't get as much shooting done... lol.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    We bought the single shot Rossi with interchangeable barrels in 22lr and .410. I gave it to my 14 year old when he was 6. Now his little brother is 5 and we had him shoot it this week. I don't know how many little kids of Friends and family have shot that gun. My 14 year old will still pick it up for a few rounds when we are at the range.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Snowman, let me throw a monkey wrench, into your plans, if your son, is big for his age, then why not splurge, and get him, a 10/22, you can single load the mag., and except, for working the bolt, you have a single shot, and he can keep, and use it, all his life, and hand it down, to future generations ..... :twocents: JMHO

Top Bottom