• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Snowman, let me throw a monkey wrench, into your plans, if your son, is big for his age, then why not splurge, and get him, a 10/22, you can single load the mag., and except, for working the bolt, you have a single shot, and he can keep, and use it, all his life, and hand it down, to future generations ..... :twocents: JMHO

Honestly the only reason I stay away from rugers anymore is it seems they have become entirely too proud of their work in the price tag department. When you can get a myriad of same quality rifles for a third of the price there is something wrong. I am not into the whole tacticool scene, if I buy a savage, marlin, or a rossi it is pretty much going to stay how it is out of the box and cost anywhere from half to a third of what most people's asking price is on a 10/22. Don't get me wrong I have a bearcat, had a mkII that I still regret selling but if I hadn't I never would have gotten my sig:D. That being said most people in the used market are also very proud of their rifle even if it is just a plain jane 10/22 I have seem them listed way above retail so I am staying far far away form the 10/22s

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Memories...Memories....

I was in the same boat 6-7 years ago. I was looking for a single-shot bolt action to instill good sight-alignment, trigger-control, breathing, etc. Gander Mountain had just opened in Castleton and had a Marlin youth .22 on sale and I even had a coupon! $89.00 out the door I looked at the Crickets also, but they seem pretty chintzy with the stamped sheet metal. That Marlin has gotten two boys through several years in 4-H shooting sports and the youth program at my range, and I still use in the occasional possum that straggles by.

ol' poke

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Uncle Kirk here, buyer of many guns for kids. Two factors to keep foremost are length of pull and weight.

I would recommend the following of what is currently catalogued:

1. CZ 452 Scout (outstanding weapon, I have purchased one for all five nephews and was so impressed that I bought one for myself).

CZ-USA -> CZ 452 Scout

2. Marlin 15Y.

3. Savage Cub.

4. Henry Lever Action Youth Model.

I also recommend the:

1. Winchester 67A

2. Winchester 1904, "The Boy's Rifle"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOirt4YZjlI"]YouTube - 1904, WINCHESTER MODEL 1904 .22 CAL SINGLE SHOT RIFLE[/ame]

if you stumble upon them.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Its not just you I opened the forum discussion between plan A and plan B and have gotten a few votes for a and few votes for b and then a myriad of votes for C-L.. not complaining though.

Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    I got my first gun when I was 4. It was a cricket. I still plink around with it today. So I think that a Crickett would be a great choice.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I ended up rain checking both the 795 is in just waiting on the cricket and I will be going to pick up both :D. If nothing else I will keep the cricket for his little brother.

Top Bottom