My sons new project. 2006 GMC Yukon with 4 wheel drive issues?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I got curious and had to go back out and check the play. There is a little on both sides. But a ton in the diff. I will replace the axles, but the majority seems to be in the diff. :(

[video=youtube;2JJpZrBhfNY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JJpZrBhfNY&t=1s[/video]

Thanks Harry and CM for suggesting I recheck it. It was a good call. But I think the problems run deeper.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man that sucks.
    Those diff's are everywhere used in the bone yards. Get your VIN and match it up. VIN will give the final drive ratio and I am not thinking it will be a 4.10 in that truck. Most likely mid-3's.
    I would be surprised if a stealership did the rear axle replace with out checking the VIN and getting the proper part. Easy enough to check if you know how.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Man that sucks.
    Those diff's are everywhere used in the bone yards. Get your VIN and match it up. VIN will give the final drive ratio and I am not thinking it will be a 4.10 in that truck. Most likely mid-3's.
    I would be surprised if a stealership did the rear axle replace with out checking the VIN and getting the proper part. Easy enough to check if you know how.

All the info I can fine on the net (including some 4 wheel drive forums) say that GT5 on the ID plate is the rear end ratio. I hate to go against what is on the id tag. Odd or not, that is what came with it from GM. The truck might have been a special ordered with it ?

I did find one on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-to-06-C...ash=item440ead07d4:g:DAkAAMXQfvlSlitf&vxp=mtr

I have not checked with a buddy of mine that has a junk yard. He might have something and he should be able to tell me if I am ID'ing the rear end right. I am going figure out what the rear diff is and match it. I know it was swapped.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I just called my buddy at the junk yard. I sent him a picture of the glove box tag and he said it's a GT5 4:10. I am going to look at the rear diff and see if I can find some numbers or pull the cover and get the numbers on the ring gear. I am suspect (gut feeling) that it does not have the right rear end. I will match the front to the rear.

My speedo will be off. I don't know if you can buy gears for the speed sensor like the old days. I am guessing that it is all in the computer now. Oh well.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    And my buddy doesn't have one. But another yard south of town does for $400. He also gave me the # of a guy that does his plow trucks. He use to work for GM. He said the guy rebuilt his last year pretty reasonably priced.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    All the info I can fine on the net (including some 4 wheel drive forums) say that GT5 on the ID plate is the rear end ratio. I hate to go against what is on the id tag. Odd or not, that is what came with it from GM. The truck might have been a special ordered with it ?

I did find one on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-to-06-C...ash=item440ead07d4:g:DAkAAMXQfvlSlitf&vxp=mtr

I have not checked with a buddy of mine that has a junk yard. He might have something and he should be able to tell me if I am ID'ing the rear end right. I am going figure out what the rear diff is and match it. I know it was swapped.
    We've got one at the shop we've been using for parts for the past 5 years. I'll see if it has any drive train left in it in the morning.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Make sure the VIN on the glove box RPO sheet matches the VIN on thedash. I ran into that problem with my truck. previous owner put in a different dash. Luckily he gave me the old dash.

I just ran out and double checked the tag against the vin. It matches.

We've got one at the shop we've been using for parts for the past 5 years. I'll see if it has any drive train left in it in the morning.

That would be awesome Harry. Thanks.

Harry, am I reading the build tag right? The GT5 is the axle ratio?

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I just ran out and double checked the tag against the vin. It matches.

That would be awesome Harry. Thanks.

Harry, am I reading the build tag right? The GT5 is the axle ratio?

You are reading it right, I just cannot figure out how you have 4.10 gears when 3.42 was the only gears available, makes zero sense.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You just answered your own question.
    What inbred moron said it was easier to pull a load on dry ground in 4WD. Probably killed it.
    Memory kicked back in when mentioned they were 2 piece. Nope, no cover.

These are not hard to change.

Make sure the VIN on the glove box RPO sheet matches the VIN on thedash. I ran into that problem with my truck. previous owner put in a different dash. Luckily he gave me the old dash.

You are reading it right, I just cannot figure out how you have 4.10 gears when 3.42 was the only gears available, makes zero sense.

I found a forum yesterday that showed 4 different diff's for this truck. And of course the one I have is the odd one. It has to have been a special order. Someone probably wanted to pull a trailer.

GU4 3:08
    GU6 3:42
    GT4 3.73
    GT5 4:10

I have am appointment next week for a guy to look at it.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    CV axles are a pretty cheap and easy to change.

I just bought a 98 K2500 4X4. While doing a brake job, I noticed a tear in one of the boots. I haven't replaced one in years, so I did what I used to do, call South Bend Clutch and asked how much to rebuild it. The guy laughed, then told me, go buy a new one. I though that one for a 3/4 ton truck would be expensive.

$66 on Amazon.:rolleyes:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

I just bought a 98 K2500 4X4. While doing a brake job, I noticed a tear in one of the boots. I haven't replaced one in years, so I did what I used to do, call South Bend Clutch and asked how much to rebuild it. The guy laughed, then told me, go buy a new one. I though that one for a 3/4 ton truck would be expensive.

South Bend Clutch is a great place. I have had them do a lot of clutches & pressure plates, axle's and rack & pinions too in the pass. I am thinking I even had them do a water pump once?

I can believe it's not profitable these days. I hope they stay around. Good people!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Rockauto.com is pretty good too.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Top Bottom