My sons new project. 2006 GMC Yukon with 4 wheel drive issues?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Mine had a ton of play and was noisy and it was the front axle bearings that are inside the case. The seal was bad as well. They may be called something else but I can't remember. Before that, I had a problem getting it into 4wd and the lights would flash and sometimes it would switch and sometimes it wouldn't. When it did, it would clunk in really hard. That end up being the transfer case encoder ring. It was really easy to replace and about $35.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Mine had a ton of play and was noisy and it was the front axle bearings that are inside the case. The seal was bad as well. They may be called something else but I can't remember. Before that, I had a problem getting it into 4wd and the lights would flash and sometimes it would switch and sometimes it wouldn't. When it did, it would clunk in really hard. That end up being the transfer case encoder ring. It was really easy to replace and about $35.

Is that why you're now a Ford man, Chris?;)

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I just called my buddy at the junk yard. I sent him a picture of the glove box tag and he said it's a GT5 4:10. I am going to look at the rear diff and see if I can find some numbers or pull the cover and get the numbers on the ring gear. I am suspect (gut feeling) that it does not have the right rear end. I will match the front to the rear.

My speedo will be off. I don't know if you can buy gears for the speed sensor like the old days. I am guessing that it is all in the computer now. Oh well.

If you end up counting teeth it is ring teeth/pinion teeth. For a 4.1 it is usually 41/10.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you end up counting teeth it is ring teeth/pinion teeth. For a 4.1 it is usually 41/10.
    I am hopeful there are numbers on it. If not, thanks for the info. I will count them.

I got derailed this afternoon with errands and did not get to mess with it. Hopefully I will get a chance to get under it tomorrow and find some numbers on the rear. I am fearful the rearend has been swapped and it is not the correct ratio. It would explain a tore up front diff.

It does have a lot of miles on it. 168k The diff could very well have bad bearings just from the mileage. The transfer case looks newer. Hopefully it's ok. I will know more next week when the guy looks at it. If his price is reasonable I will have him rebuilt or replace what is broken. I got it cheap enough that I can spend a few bucks getting it fixed. If it's a lot cheaper I will put used in it.

Thanks to a member here on the forum I might have a lead on some parts. What an awesome fellowship we have here. :ingo: What an awesome place that is filled with am awesome membership.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Jack up the back wheels. Mark the tire on the inside with white chalk or what ever you have that is white. Put the mark at 6 0clock. Mark the drive shaft.
    Truck in neutral. Have someone rotate the tire while you count the drive shaft rotations. If it is truly a 4.10 when the mark on the tire comes back to 6 0clock the shaft will have rotated just an RCH past 4 complete turns.
    I have done this dozens of times and it will get you pretty close.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Jack up the back wheels. Mark the tire on the inside with white chalk or what ever you have that is white. Put the mark at 6 0clock. Mark the drive shaft.
    Truck in neutral. Have someone rotate the tire while you count the drive shaft rotations. If it is truly a 4.10 when the mark on the tire comes back to 6 0clock the shaft will have rotated just an RCH past 4 complete turns.

:yesway: Thanks Tim. I talked to the guy I got the truck from just a little bit ago and he said he had the local GM dealer fix it. So I would think it would be done correctly. But I am gonna verify. They are noted for doing good work, but being pricey.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

OLD School.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Hi Harry. I ended up with some help issues the day before I was to take it in to the shop. I haven't been able to get it over there yet.

I have a couple other cars so this one is not a priority. If my health doesn't change soon this will be a spring project.

I will post an update when I have more info.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A long over due follow up. Problem is resolved. I am glad I took the time to look at it really good one more last time. But it wasn't until last spring.

The issue was the ABS brakes doing their thing. I had a dragging caliber and a low tire pressure. All on front right corner. the ABS was trying to slow the left front tire down at times. New caliper . and proper air pressure and it has not been an issue all summer and spring. The noise was so weird. It almost sounds like a click click noise. But all is well.

And I was ready to drop the front diff. :ugh: I think I will still change the oil in the front and rear diff and the transfer case

I still have a oil sending unit and fuel level sending unit to tackle. No rush... :fogey:

I pulled a few small stumps out with it this summer. 4WL with a 4:11 gears it did not even grunt. I ask the boy if it was moving, he said you are dragging it. I thought the strap came loose. I like this truck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A long over due follow up. Problem is resolved. I am glad I took the time to look at it really good one more last time. But it wasn't until last spring.

The issue was the ABS brakes doing their thing. I had a dragging caliber and a low tire pressure. All on front right corner. the ABS was trying to slow the left front tire down at times. New caliper . and proper air pressure and it has not been an issue all summer and spring. The noise was so weird. It almost sounds like a click click noise. But all is well.

And I was ready to drop the front diff. :ugh: I think I will still change the oil in the front and rear diff and the transfer case

I still have a oil sending unit and fuel level sending unit to tackle. No rush... :fogey:

I pulled a few small stumps out with it this summer. 4WL with a 4:11 gears it did not even grunt. I ask the boy if it was moving, he said you are dragging it. I thought the strap came loose. I like this truck.[/QUOTE

Not a bad idea to service the diff’s. We try and do ours on a schedule. Trans as well.
    The cross member on the pick up makes it really hard to get the pan off the trans so we do the cooling line pump out when we change the fluid.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Not a bad idea to service the diff’s. We try and do ours on a schedule. Trans as well.
    The cross member on the pick up makes it really hard to get the pan off the trans so we do the cooling line pump out when we change the fluid.

Thanks for the tip Tim. I want to do all the fluids while I am at it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Well, It has been a minute since I posted much and What better thing to post up about then a update on a random project.

It's nearly 3 years and 40k miles I think and the old black beast is still running strong, No more issues with the drive train noises Yeah baby!!

FYI, I did break down and replace the oil pressure sending unit. It also behaved so well I treated it to some new tires and a oil change and anew set of brakes too.

. The boy pretty much learned to drive in it, And it still runs great. LOL, Hoping to get a few more years out of it. It's holding up well, I had bought a 28ft Travel Trailer and it pulled it great last summer and fall. Hard to tell I was pulling much. The truck is a work horse and a beast. One of these days the fuel gauge will get replace, but probably when the Fuel pump craps out,

I hope all are well. Be blessed and stay safe,

Larry

Top Bottom