NASA and SpaceX Launch Astronauts to Space! Live Stream...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have tried to make so many launches when in Florida, have yet to make one yet. . . . up close anyway.

If anyone ever gets a chance to tour Kennedy it is well worth your time. There is even a section of the tour where it is lead by former astronauts.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Hear ya loud and clear bro. I feel the same way.
    We need the knowledge and experience to keep the dream alive. Huge day for U.S.America and mankind as well.

This, but then it was scrubbed. I grew up on Apollo and Star Trek. My children just do not understand my interest in passion for space. To them space was a broken NASA, a dysfunctional and deadly shuttle, and pretty pictures from Hubble.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The interior of the Dragon seems downright spacious and austere compared to Apollo.

Agreed, those Apollo capsules were so small, there is no ****ing way they would could get me in one of those. Those guys could not have been very tall or the slightest bit overweight.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Agreed, those Apollo capsules were so small, there is no ****ing way they would could get me in one of those. Those guys could not have been very tall or the slightest bit overweight.

They were considering using a slightly upscaled version for a CRV for the ISS.
    Holding 6-7...

Have fun with this visual...

apollo.rescue.jpg

Report on Top-Level Assessment of Use of Apollo Systems for ISS CRV (part 1)

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    That's what I used to tell 'em when they'd ask why I'd bust my ass every day to make high score. Or my personal favorite variation:. "You know what the second dog sees? Same thing the third dog sees!"

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have tried to make so many launches when in Florida, have yet to make one yet. . . . up close anyway.

If anyone ever gets a chance to tour Kennedy it is well worth your time. There is even a section of the tour where it is lead by former astronauts.

When I toured Kennedy Space Center with my wife I remember walking around a corner and being in a huge room seeing the Saturn V in stages hanging from the rafters. I couldn’t help myself and blurted out “Holy ****!”. The tour guide just laughed and said “We hear that all the time”. An amazing place to get up close and personal with many of the greatest achievements in human history.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

That's unfortunate, they are quite the sight. I got to see a Saturn IB and several Shuttle launches. Since the shuttle launches were for work I got to be closer than the average bear; I've still got my photo IDs from those. The early 70's Saturn launch was a lot closer than they'd allow you to get now too...also they actually let you into the Vehicle Assembly Building during the tours, that ended with 9/11.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I was in Sarasota for training when Columbia launched on it's final flight. Even from that distance you could easily see the plumes above the treetops. It was odd seeing the plumes suddenly stop and we all thought that something bad had happened but one of the instructors in the class told us that the shuttle had turned and was flying away from us at that point. Little did we know how it would ultimately end.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    When I toured Kennedy Space Center with my wife I remember walking around a corner and being in a huge room seeing the Saturn V in stages hanging from the rafters. I couldn’t help myself and blurted out “Holy ****!”. The tour guide just laughed and said “We hear that all the time”. An amazing place to get up close and personal with many of the greatest achievements in human history.

That Saturn V building is so impressive, they had two former astronauts giving tours in the building the day we were there.

The Atlantis display is also very cool, but the shuttles are a lot smaller than I remembered. When we toured Kennedy as a kid there was actually a shuttle out on the crawler and it looked huge.

One thing they mentioned I thought was kind of funny. They said gators were all over the property, over a thousand of them and you have to make sure all doors to the outside were closed at all times as gators were known to walk right in the buildings. I know I would lose my **** if I was walking to the break room and spotted a 12 ft. gator walking down the hallway.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    One thing they mentioned I thought was kind of funny. They said gators were all over the property, over a thousand of them and you have to make sure all doors to the outside were closed at all times as gators were known to walk right in the buildings. I know I would lose my **** if I was walking to the break room and spotted a 12 ft. gator walking down the hallway.

The gators have this deep thrumming sound they make as a mating call. When a rocket launches they all think they are in the presence of Godzilla. They probably think (if they can) that they are living on holy ground.

Also...LAUNCH TODAY!!! (maybe)

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I watched all of it except the Katy crap, my son and I were like..WTF? whats she have to do with a launch?? I'll be watching today though!! You have to give Elon Musk credit, people tell him something is not possible, he says "hold my beer"....and stuff gets done! Go Space X!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom