• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I guess you don't associate with the same like-minded people that I do. To each their own.

Obviously. I also don't sit in quiet reflection when people pray on tv either. But I can assure you that if I stood up and took my hat off and placed my hand over my heart for the national anthem, on tv, I would certainly observe the former.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So if I have never stood at home all these years, does that mean I have been protesting police brutality and never knew it.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    A college roommate of mine, a former Marine, would do the same. No matter where he was or what he was doing, if he heard it, he stopped and stood at attention.

BUT....he was a very very weird bird.

You said "Marine" in the opening sentence making the final sentence redundant.;)

And, the are no "former" Marines, or so I'm told.:patriot:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Can't remember the last time I saw it on tv, don't watch sports.
    But I leave the house before 5 every morning. The local news radio plays it at 5, ball cap comes off and depending on the situation, hand on heart.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    In the military it was, salute in uniform, stand at position of attention when in civilian clothes, stop vehicle on base...and run like hell to get indoors when the 5 minute warning goes off.

I love this country, fought for it, and respect it. But go to any military base and you will see sailors, soldiers, marines, and airmen, activity avoiding having to stand there for colors.

When in uniform and indoors you are still required to come to attention and face the music. But I get what you are saying, to many the Service is just a job, 3 hots and a cot, and that's OK I guess. I always take pride in presenting Honors during the National Anthem, it's a right won by blood of many brave men and women.

I remember as a kid when we were at the Saturday Matinee at the Base Theater the place would be a mad house before the movie started, but when the first note of the Anthem was played everything stopped and we all face the screen and stood at attention. Looking back this was pretty amazing, not one parent in the place and 8 - 12 years old knew who to give proper respect.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So if I have never stood at home all these years, does that mean I have been protesting police brutality and never knew it.

Maybe but im going to say no cause you are on a gun board which means you probably did not vote for hillary so that puts you in the non minority class and thus not in the right group. ;)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    When in uniform and indoors you are still required to come to attention and face the music. But I get what you are saying, to many the Service is just a job, 3 hots and a cot, and that's OK I guess. I always take pride in presenting Honors during the National Anthem, it's a right won by blood of many brave men and women.

I remember as a kid when we were at the Saturday Matinee at the Base Theater the place would be a mad house before the movie started, but when the first note of the Anthem was played everything stopped and we all face the screen and stood at attention. Looking back this was pretty amazing, not one parent in the place and 8 - 12 years old knew who to give proper respect.

This meant you at a young age could think for yourself.
    That means trouble for the ruling class.
    Nope we cant have that. Thus the watering down of education, the destruction of the family values and the dependence on the .gov.
    They have done a good job on the generational dependance group and now have managed to enslave the next group college folks with massive debt for wortgless higher education.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think to each his own. If you believe you should behave like you're there in person, that's fine, for you. If you don't, that's actually the social norm. Almost no one stands in front of their TVs for the national anthem before sporting events. For those of you who don't do as you do, just remember it's a personal call either way. That fact alone doesn't make anyone more or less patriotic or virtuous.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think to each his own. If you believe you should behave like you're there in person, that's fine, for you. If you don't, that's actually the social norm. Almost no one stands in front of their TVs for the national anthem before sporting events. For those of you who don't do as you do, just remember it's a personal call either way. That fact alone doesn't make anyone more or less patriotic or virtuous.
    Your "live and let live" (Sylvain speak for laissez faire) attitude outrages me.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I was taught to stand and face the flag (father was in the Army) and was caught on a base/fort/station (he was posted at various installations, rarely Army) a few times over the years where I joined him in the evening. These days, it still feels odd to do the hand over the heart (that was always for the pledge through my youth), but, if I'm at home, I make sure to have a cold one nearby and let that one tear of pride fall as it is played (and some salty comments afterwards if whoever was singing chose to "make it their own").

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I was taught to stand and face the flag (father was in the Army) and was caught on a base/fort/station (he was posted at various installations, rarely Army) a few times over the years where I joined him in the evening. These days, it still feels odd to do the hand over the heart (that was always for the pledge through my youth), but, if I'm at home, I make sure to have a cold one nearby and let that one tear of pride fall as it is played (and some salty comments afterwards if whoever was singing chose to "make it their own").

Now this sounds genuine.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You said "Marine" in the opening sentence making the final sentence redundant.;)

And, the are no "former" Marines, or so I'm told.:patriot:

Once a Marine, always a Marine!

I believe if you're no longer an active duty Marine the correct term is "retired Marine", not "ex-Marine" or "former Marine".

quote-a-marine-is-a-marine-i-set-that-policy-two-weeks-ago-there-s-no-such-thing-as-a-former-james-f-amos-55-13-67.jpg

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    ... and second "because the vast majority of people don't have that level of commitment."

But for decades, it wasn't that way. People had respect for the flag, the National Anthem, their country and each other. Today, "political correctness" (a misnomer, if I ever heard one) and society's "I don't have to..." approach to life, is dragging our nation down so fast.... I can barely breath the air around me.

As for the 'sports figures" sitting or kneeling during the playing of our National Anthem, I say screw their claim that it is free speech. It's NOT. It is only divisive. They need to grow up!

* Oh, and God bless America.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Like they said on Fox News this AM.... wait 'til people who are offended by the show of disrespect by 200+ players on Sunday... decide to boycott the games. No ticket sales will hurt the NFL as a whole, BIGLY.* :popcorn:

* That's my nickname, big Lee

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No one here is old enough to remember Desert Storm? Whitney's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner got radio airtime, and remains my #1 personal version. It is amazing.

But, these questions were asked, including whether to pull over the car and stand up.

The general consensus was that people should use common sense (which, as usual, isn't that common).

Oh, and is this the thread where we mention that the anthem calisthenics issue has evolved over the years. Back in the day, people were supposed to stand and do a salute that was vaguely reminiscent of the Nazi salute.

Oops.

Traditions change.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    But for decades, it wasn't that way. People had respect for the flag, the National Anthem, their country and each other. Today, "political correctness" (a misnomer, if I ever heard one) and society's "I don't have to..." approach to life, is dragging our nation down so fast.... I can barely breath the air around me.

As for the 'sports figures" sitting or kneeling during the playing of our National Anthem, I say screw their claim that it is free speech. It's NOT. It is only divisive. They need to grow up!

I assume this was before TV?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

That's free speech even if it's offensive to you.

Showing respect to the National Anthem, or the flag is not, mandatory and shouldn't be.
    Otherwise it would be meaningless if people did it to avoid jail or a fine.

You can't pass a law to teach honor and respect.

The fact that nobody, or nothing, is forcing me to stand up during the National Anthem is what makes it a powerful gesture.

Same way the fact there's no law that prevents me from burning the US flag (especially outside of the US) is what makes it respectful for me to not burn it.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    But for decades, it wasn't that way. People had respect for the flag, the National Anthem, their country and each other.

You may not be old enough to remember the 60s and 70s but there was a lot of protesting and disrespect of the flag, burning, stepping on it, wearing flag patterns in clothing. Every generation has youth that protest something, the cause du jour.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    No one here is old enough to remember Desert Storm? Whitney's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner got radio airtime, and remains my #1 personal version. It is amazing.

But, these questions were asked, including whether to pull over the car and stand up.

The general consensus was that people should use common sense (which, as usual, isn't that common).

Oh, and is this the thread where we mention that the anthem calisthenics issue has evolved over the years. Back in the day, people were supposed to stand and do a salute that was vaguely reminiscent of the Nazi salute.

Oops.

Traditions change.

The "nazi salute" was done by many countries including the usa BEFORE nazi germany came to be. Once nazi germany used it like all others then the world decided to stop using it and thus its now know as the nazi salute.

Top Bottom