• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    That's free speech even if it's offensive to you.

Showing respect to the National Anthem, or the flag is not, mandatory and shouldn't be.
    Otherwise it would be meaningless if people did it to avoid jail or a fine.

You can't pass a law to teach honor and respect.

The fact that nobody, or nothing, is forcing me to stand up during the National Anthem is what makes it a powerful gesture.

Same way the fact there's no law that prevents me from burning the US flag (especially outside of the US) is what makes it respectful for me to not burn it.

Nobody here is talking about "passing a law", certainly not me. The whole thing is, these people should WANT to show respect for the flag, etc. Cry-babies and selfie takers is all they are. "It's my right...." crap is dumb and childish, even if it IS their 'right'. Do you really defend the jerks at these Antifa rallies that scream in the faces of honest, hard-working LEO's, who are simply trying to keep the peace? That's their exercising their free speech.... but it is also and even more so, ignorant and fully DIVISIVE. They should all move to California.....
    Or Cuba.

Yeah, I know..... they have "the right" to be ignorant.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    But for decades, it wasn't that way. People had respect for the flag, the National Anthem, their country and each other.

You may not be old enough to remember the 60s and 70s but there was a lot of protesting and disrespect of the flag, burning, stepping on it, wearing flag patterns in clothing. Every generation has youth that protest something, the cause du jour.

Not old enough? I just turned 66. And those people were the same age as me, for the most part. They were ignorant, too.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    But for decades, it wasn't that way. People had respect for the flag, the National Anthem, their country and each other.

You may not be old enough to remember the 60s and 70s but there was a lot of protesting and disrespect of the flag, burning, stepping on it, wearing flag patterns in clothing. Every generation has youth that protest something, the cause du jour.

Some people do that without the intention of showing disrespect to the flag.They actually see it as patriotic even though technically it might not be proper.

Wearing an actual flag as clothing wouldn't be proper but "flag patterns" are not flags.There's a difference.
    And I wouldn't compare that to stepping on the flag.

I was watching some medieval style fighting the other day (Yeah it's a thing in Europe).

The American team wears tuniques with the US flag pattern, with stripes and stars.I don't think that unpatriotic.
    They actually look badass.

5e9f5824-5115-4ace-99c6-e9f9b339d6b1.file

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wonder if antifa has a written policy for when their members are present when the National Anthem is played.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Nobody here is talking about "passing a law", certainly not me. The whole thing is, these people should WANT to show respect for the flag, etc. Cry-babies and selfie takers is all they are. "It's my right...." crap is dumb and childish, even if it IS their 'right'. Do you really defend the jerks at these Antifa rallies that scream in the faces of honest, hard-working LEO's, who are simply trying to keep the peace? That's their exercising their free speech.... but it is also and even more so, ignorant and fully DIVISIVE. They should all move to California.....
    Or Cuba.

Yeah, I know..... they have "the right" to be ignorant.

Yes, I defend their right to free speech and I think they are a bunch of morons.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    No one here is old enough to remember Desert Storm? Whitney's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner got radio airtime, and remains my #1 personal version. It is amazing.

But, these questions were asked, including whether to pull over the car and stand up.

The general consensus was that people should use common sense (which, as usual, isn't that common).

Oh, and is this the thread where we mention that the anthem calisthenics issue has evolved over the years. Back in the day, people were supposed to stand and do a salute that was vaguely reminiscent of the Nazi salute.

Oops.

Traditions change.
    As far as the car thing, on a DoD installation, it is required that you stop.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I wonder if antifa has a written policy for when their members are present when the National Anthem is played.

I doubt they go to places where you can hear the National Anthem to begin with.

Aren't they anti-capitalists? So not going to big sport games.
    They hate the goverment so they're not going to go to ceremonies to honor the military and such.
    They probably don't play the National Anthem at their own rallies (if they even have rallies, idk).

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Obviously. I also don't sit in quiet reflection when people pray on tv either. But I can assure you that if I stood up and took my hat off and placed my hand over my heart for the national anthem, on tv, I would certainly observe the former.
    I do, the last anniversary of September 11 I was watch live coverage of the Pentagon ceremony. I think it was the Army chaplain came to the stage to give a little prayer and also had a moment of silence. During that time I sat in quiet reflection. Again, to each their own.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    But for decades, it wasn't that way. People had respect for the flag, the National Anthem, their country and each other. Today, "political correctness" (a misnomer, if I ever heard one) and society's "I don't have to..." approach to life, is dragging our nation down so fast.... I can barely breath the air around me.

I'm not so sure about that.

I had season tickets for Purdue football in 2000 - the national anthem was somewhat treated as a formality and something that interrupted your conversation.

The next year, oh, about mid September, the attitude changed. Men started taking off their hats again, women stopped gabbing, Americans started to think about what the flag and their country meant to them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No one here is old enough to remember Desert Storm? Whitney's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner got radio airtime, and remains my #1 personal version. It is amazing.

But, these questions were asked, including whether to pull over the car and stand up.

The general consensus was that people should use common sense (which, as usual, isn't that common).

Oh, and is this the thread where we mention that the anthem calisthenics issue has evolved over the years. Back in the day, people were supposed to stand and do a salute that was vaguely reminiscent of the Nazi salute.

Oops.

Traditions change.

Sure. I remember it. I was going to add that to my comment but decided not to. Since you brought it up, I recall Whitney singing the national anthem evoked emotion that I don't usually experience listening/watching through the TV.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sure. I remember it. I was going to add that to my comment but decided not to. Since you brought it up, I recall Whitney singing the national anthem evoked emotion that I don't usually experience listening/watching through the TV.

The end of the movie Battleground that cadence always gives me chills. Bunch go guys beat down at Bastone, leaving the battlefield.
    And yes, that's Dennis the Menace's dad. Guy near the back is getting a bit carried away tho.

[video=youtube;nDQvYE8sbc8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQvYE8sbc8[/video]

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Down in Franklin Indiana there is a movie theater, that shows older films...but before each film they have everyone stand up, take off their hats, and place their right hand over their hearts and sing the national anthem...while the words scroll across the big screen. My brother and I went to a show there this summer and it was pretty cool.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    When outdoors: stand, face flag (or music if flag not visible), come to parade rest during the playing of retreat. Come to attention. render hand salute if in uniform, remove hat if worn and place hand over heart if not in uniform. Veterans being authorized to render hand salute came after I retired so I put my hand over my heart. My last hand salute during Retreat/National Anthem was in the shade of the left wing of the F-86 Sabre below on 21 May 2007. It means something to me.

maxresdefault.jpg

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    When outdoors: stand, face flag (or music if flag not visible), come to parade rest during the playing of retreat. Come to attention. render hand salute if in uniform, remove hat if worn and place hand over heart if not in uniform. Veterans being authorized to render hand salute came after I retired so I put my hand over my heart. My last hand salute during Retreat/National Anthem was in the shade of the left wing of the F-86 Sabre below on 21 May 2007. It means something to me.

maxresdefault.jpg

Very cool!

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    As a veteran, now that I'm aware of the (new) protocol, , I shall look forward to the events where I can come to attention and salute the flag. :alright:

Thanks for the thread, FrankNstein ...... at first I was confused as to the value of the thread, and wondered where it would go. it went to good places
    (P.S. -- It's been a long time since we rode our FZ1's together, Frank. I miss those days. Do you still have a bike ?)

Top Bottom