• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Does anyone find it disturbing that an active member of our government threatens to shred the constitution?

Someone remind me what is the definition of "treason"?

Oh, wait, we don't have time to address that... we are busy weeding out all the really dangerous people who wore blackface...

This country is a joke anymore. No rule of law. Almost complete lawlessness. Those in Washington committing treason and making unconstitutional laws are skating and continuing to make millions on back room deals. But hey, gotta make sure we lock up those dealing mary jane and pills

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Or maybe spoken like someone who actually believes in the separation of powers who doesn't agree with the president, any president, ruling through executive order.

It was unacceptable when Obama did it, why should it be any different now?

Guess it was ok when Obama bypassed congress.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes. Obama could've done this. Used his pen and his phone to take guns.

Every POTUS could use emergency powers to do anything they wanted.

Kinda makes one wonder why they haven't done it....

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    We'll see how the "It's OK when our side does it" crowd feels when a democrat president decides gun control, climate change, universal healthcare, or a host of other ideas are emergencies. "But Obama abused executive power too" isn't a very compelling argument either. It's bad when a president of either party does it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What bad things is the "current guy" doing?

(couldn't help myself, funny gif)

But seriously, just this "national emergency" should be considered a bad thing. We already know it will be abused by the other side... why open the door for them to do it as retaliation? Your "emergencies", my "emergencies" and their "emergencies" are very different... and one person's "emergency" is another person's freedom.

long-list-gif-12.gif

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Everybody remembers that Louis XVI was king of France at the time of the French Revolution. (Ok, maybe not everyone, but some people do.)

No one really remembers that the decisions that created the pressure that culminated in the revolution were made my many predecessors over a long period of time.

Trump's decisions are properly viewed in that context. Has every "national emergency" been an actual, real emergency? Has that definition been diluted over time?

If he goes through with this, that continued dilution will allow for a variety of scenarios to appear more of an "emergency" that needs dealt with by executive power.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Every president in our lifetimes has sought to expand executive power. Testing and pushing the previous boundaries. And once they obtain some shiny new toy, they don't EVER give it back.

That's not meant to endorse Trump's plan, as with all expansion of executive power, I think it's a BAD idea.

But it's just a much the fault of Congress for rolling over and ceding powers specifically granted to them.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Just a couple of days ago it was said a HUGE 30,000 new caravan is forming and coming through the Colombian jungle and is on its way to the United States. Laura Ingraham speaks with the intelligence secretary of Guatemala to discuss a new migrant caravan.

Starts at @14:45.

(18:46) mentions the new caravan

mqdefault.jpg
    The Ingraham Angle (HD)/2/13/19 Fox News Wednesday, February 13, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAvUi3EfqJw

If accurate, that alone seems like pretty good ground for declaring a national emergency. Heck, close the border completely if you have to. No more illegal immigration!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If accurate, that alone seems like pretty good ground for declaring a national emergency. Heck, close the border completely if you have to. No more illegal immigration!

That sounds more like an imminent issue... which can be responded to with a different sort of force. He sent people to guard the border once, he can do it again. Spending $8 billion to build something isn't a response to those 30k people.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Spoken like a true Anti-Trumper.

I'm getting there, yeah. I think that he's just as scummy as the rest of the swamp he promised to clean up.

Trump has tried to govern as though he were king rather than president, and I am certainly anti that.

Guess it was ok when Obama bypassed congress.

Nope. But Obama isn't in power, so I am not worried about him anymore.

Democrats don't need precedents to do anything. They will do what they want and will get away with it.

That's a terrible reason to excuse the same behavior on your own side of the aisle.

If you stop your own party from abusing power, then you have credibility to stop the other side from doing the same thing. Right now neither side has credibility because both just want short-term political wins instead of doing the right thing.

What bad things is the "current guy" doing?

I will stick to just one for now: radically overstepping the bounds of the Constitution, attempting to grant himself both legislative and executive authority at the same time. Like I said, he's trying to act like a king.

It's bad when any president tries to do crap like this.

Top Bottom