Navy Considers Re-activation of Kitty Hawk.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Carriers have onboard tanker assets. They can't provide as much gas as the chair Force tankers can but they are a lot better than just using drop tanks.

Hey now, that would be properly pronounced Air Farce you silly squid; as opposed to those people who graduated from the USN school of Nasal Radiation down in Pepsicola.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I hope they're just thinking out loud.
    Our military is in desperate need of some TLC.
    We've got pilots quitting the military because of unsafe aircraft.
    We're ALMOST caught up on armored vehicles instead of civilian versions with home made armor on them.
    Hopefully we'll give our troops more range time and more than just a couple of "Barney Boolits"
    When Spec Forces and base security has to come around and "steal" magazines of ammo from support personnel to defend Bagram AFB you know we've got issues. This happened on multiple occasions. And for you non believers and sceptics... I got this first hand.
    Just a couple of years ago the Commandant of the USMC went public telling his troops to save every round and every drop of fuel possible.
    The Defense spending dollar is not being wisely used nor properly allocated.

Very reminiscent of the Carter years in the military. This is what democRats do to the defense of our nation.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Someone posted up an Ariel pic of a carrier battle group not long ago. It was most impressive.
    A lot of power. I would not want to be in the target area of that group.

Yeah, who wants some?

1280px-US_Navy_060618-N-8492C-221_The_Kitty_Hawk_Ronald_Reagan_and_Abraham_Lincoln_Carrier_Strike_groups_sail_in_formation_zps8fqkugrl.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, who wants some?

1280px-US_Navy_060618-N-8492C-221_The_Kitty_Hawk_Ronald_Reagan_and_Abraham_Lincoln_Carrier_Strike_groups_sail_in_formation_zps8fqkugrl.jpg

:drool:

Budget be damned. Stop sending airplanes full of cash to butt hole dictators. Shut off foriegn aide that never reaches the people in need. Clean up the welfare state. That alone will help put the ship closer to being on course.
    Then stop the asshats in power from dipping into the revenue streams put out to support the military. Follow the money and shut off the spigot's.
    There is probably 20 more major changes needed to get the system back on course but hey, another thread.

If we had 20 of these groups operational I would just smile. We need to project power. If not the enemy will be among us (more than they already are thank you very much) and we will have lost the advantage.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Regarding the cost effectiveness of operating a petro-powered carrier, I wonder if the idea is to base this ship in Japan so that it can be relatively close to base/fuel while being able to provide back-up in the south china sea or korea?

Maintanance is key, but sometimes you get good service from old weapon designs, and numbers can also compensate for short comings.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    That's what I was thinking, someplace where it can operate close to a port of call and respond to 'provocations' on short notice.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Regarding the cost effectiveness of operating a petro-powered carrier, I wonder if the idea is to base this ship in Japan so that it can be relatively close to base/fuel while being able to provide back-up in the south china sea or korea?

Maintanance is key, but sometimes you get good service from old weapon designs, and numbers can also compensate for short comings.

Intriguing. Such a deployment would also short-circuit the usual Japanese protests about nuclear powered ships making port calls

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Intriguing. Such a deployment would also short-circuit the usual Japanese protests about nuclear powered ships making port calls
    That's why the USN kept an oil-burner at Yokosuka until 2008, when USS Kitty Hawk was replaced by USS Ronald Reagan as the forward-deployed carrier.
    What would really have freaked out the Japanese would have been the basing of USS Enterprise (CVN-65) at Yokosuka, considering how much trouble her namesake (CV-6) made for an earlier Japanese generation.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    kinda miss the old battle groups of the 70's and 80's (cold war). I was on the USS America, it can't be reactivated they used it to practice torpedo runs , sad day

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    :drool:

Budget be damned. Stop sending airplanes full of cash to butt hole dictators. Shut off foriegn aide that never reaches the people in need. Clean up the welfare state. That alone will help put the ship closer to being on course.
    Then stop the asshats in power from dipping into the revenue streams put out to support the military. Follow the money and shut off the spigot's.
    There is probably 20 more major changes needed to get the system back on course but hey, another thread.

If we had 20 of these groups operational I would just smile. We need to project power. If not the enemy will be among us (more than they already are thank you very much) and we will have lost the advantage.

:yesway:

Top Bottom