• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Wow. You expect to be in danger hunting a bear but not so much with deer. From reading the DNR account above it seems maybe he didn't realize he was mortally wounded. Goes to show how fast you can be gone.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I can vouch for this.
    My brother and i had the same type of thing happen to use years and years ago.

I had shot a buck twice and it went down , i let it lay until I could meet my brother at the truck and he could help me retrieve the downed deer.
    By the time my brother made it to the truck it was well after leagle shooting light because of his walk beck to truck.

he had heard my shots and ask what was going on , i told him I had shot a buck and I watched it go down. We put the guns in the truck and took out flash lights and headed to the buck.
    Once we got to the area in the field I said to my brother "this is the area he went down" he had a small mag light and I had a 2 d-cell light , we walked a few steps and he said there it is while shinning it with his small light , I turned the larger beam of light on the deer and it raised its head and looked at us, it jumped up and started running and fell flat down after about 10 yards.

we chased it down and he held it while i cut its throut ( this is not advised at all)
    after it was over we found he had no hoof on his left front leg and I had busted its right shoulder and the other shot was father back in the guts.

he was hurting but still had all his vital organs and was a very powerful animal
    it was a ver dangerouse situation we put ourself in

ylwfever69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Greenwood
    I always wait a half-hour or so after I kill a deer. I shot a buck once and thought it was dead, I watched it lay there for 20 minutes. To my surprise it stood up and hobbled off.
    My prayers to the family.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Seen one hit by a car, fell in a ditch, after a while climbed out and walked away with a broken front leg. Don't assume they can't jump up and do you in.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I don' guess we will ever know but do you all think he tried to finish him off with a knife?

Why not just shoot him again..

I wondered that also. That deer must have swung his head wildly as the hunter closed in on him.

My thoughts and prayers go out to this family.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Seen one hit by a car, fell in a ditch, after a while climbed out and walked away with a broken front leg.

Impossible. All the internet hunters tell me it is energy that kills animals, and a car would deliver something like 150,000 ft*lbs, which is a whole bunch more than even the hugest shoulder fired bullet.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    i heard about this story and it really is unfortunate. i have run into this situation a couple of times over the last 20 years as a bow hunter...I've never been injured but you really have to wade in carefully. If I was to instruct an inexperienced hunter about this type of situation, why not just put another slug or arrow in it? Clearly, any wounded animal can be dangerous and I think people sometimes underestimate deer. My condolences to this unfortunate hunter and his family.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I work with a woman who said that the her grandson's Grandfather was the man that died...according to her, the 62 yr. old man had cancer, his son had gottin a buck about every year for the past several yrs. The grandfather said he wasn't going to die until he got a bigger buck than his son....she said that the buck the man shot was bigger an he had gone to gut an was killed....she told me the second message to the son was that it had attacked him, believe she said it was the antlers that got him an he had his knife an cut into its throat to kill it...I asked if they thought he knew he was dying from his wounds when he called an left the message...she said that he knew he was dying. She said the family was glad that at least he was doing what he loved an at least he didn't suffer what the cancer would be doing to him later.

On a side note, I shot a doe last sat. an dropped her...I waited an at about 5 min. the doe started kicking like crazy, then died....I hadn't approached her yet, like to give em some time an don't forget to poke em with the barrel first, even if the eyes are open an no sign of life...

Top Bottom