• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    ALBION, Ind. (AP) -- A northeastern Indiana hunter has died after struggling with a buck he had just shot.
    The Indiana Department of Natural Resources says 62-year-old Paul Smith of Fort Wayne died Monday during a deer reduction hunt at Chain O'Lakes State Park about 20 miles northwest of the city. It says the Noble County coroner says the death was due to a lacerated liver, possibly suffered during the struggle.
    Conservation Officer Erick Bolt says Smith called his son and left a message saying he had shot a buck. When the son called back, Smith told him the deer - still alive - attacked Smith before the hunter killed it with a knife.
    A park employee who went to retrieve the buck found Smith sitting against a tree and could not revive him.

Read more:

NE Indiana hunter dies of lacerated liver after tussle with buck he shot in park deer cull

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Man, this is terrible- and hits kind of close to home tonight. I hunt on the ground- no blind, nothing, just whatever tree I can find. I see this doe (turned out to be a button buck) walk out at about 50 yards. I take a shot and miss, hitting high. The deer turns squarely at me and starts sprinting. I then take another shot that hits its neck, yell at it and it turns broadside where I put one in its chest. It collapsed, literally, 10 feet from me.

Me and my buds were having a big laugh about it. This story kind of makes me rethink it a bit.

Prayers for the family.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I was always taught to tap the eyeball with the tip of the barrel to check for any indication the animal was still alive. If it is, I was taught to deliver a second round to the head.

We're others taught differently?

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    "A Hunter's Prayer- I pray that I may live to hunt until my dying day and when it comes to my last breath then I most humbly pray... when in the Lord's great forest His kingdom in mysight, that in His great mercy I be judged - to have done what was right!"

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    That's terrible.

I slit the throat of one buck I shot because it was a nice rack, but it was spine shot and I stood on the front hooves and the antlers.

My uncle was a large animal vet and I spent some of my childhood watching him deal with livestock, and I keep some stock now and I have a lot of respect for how much damage an animal can inflict on a person.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Always check your game (was taught to touch the eyeball with the gun barrel or arrow) before letting your guard down. I always circle around the deer and approach it from the front so i can see its head and face to see if anything is twitching or moving.

Prayers for the family involved.

Top Bottom