• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I start off by saying I will post pics soon.

I am currently working on a Winchester 1873 in .22 short. They only made 19,000 over a 20 year span in .22 (1882 to 1902) and I would guess very few in the short configuration.

It has the same size octagonal barrel as the larger calibers but with such a tiny bore it weighs as much as a truck axle. The mag tube is also as large but it has no loading gate and the inner mechanism has all the workings for the loading of the rifle. You pull the tube like most tube fed .22's but stuff it from the end and replace the loaded tube to fire. This one is missing a part that retains the shells in the tube. If Leadeye or someone has any knowledge of this missing part any help would be greatly appreciated.

atticachert

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2016
    NWI

I am currently working on a Winchester 1873 in .22 short. They only made 19,000 over a 20 year span in .22 (1882 to 1902) and I would guess very few in the short configuration.

It has the same size octagonal barrel as the larger calibers but with such a tiny bore it weighs as much as a truck axle. The mag tube is also as large but it has no loading gate and the inner mechanism has all the workings for the loading of the rifle. You pull the tube like most tube fed .22's but stuff it from the end and replace the loaded tube to fire. This one is missing a part that retains the shells in the tube. If Leadeye or someone has any knowledge of this missing part any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Take picture of end of loading tube when you get a chance. I’ll compare it to mine.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Tagging @Leadeye for interest.

To tag a user, type the @ symbol and start typing the username. (@cameram )The software will start suggesting users. Click the user you are tagging and you are done.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Ive heard of these, but have never shot or worked on one. Best advise I can give is hit the internet as the info is out there somewhere.

Best of luck!

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    This is the end that goes toward the receiver. There is nothing that retains the cartridges in the inner tube. When you load the tube the follower is moved all the way to the muzzle end and it latches in place. You then place as many rounds in the tube as you want up to capacity, then with the muzzle angled down insert the inner tube into the outer tube. When it is almost all the way in the latch for the follower is released.
    This rifle was made in 1886.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    1713901922232.jpeg
    1713901975512.jpeg
    1713902011669.jpeg
    1713902068735.jpeg
    1713902098747.jpeg
    My research has shown me there should be a flat spring steel detent in the bottom grove to the inner glider (with the screw in it) from jcj54's pic. Apparently the "newer ones" had a sliding collar made out of spring steel.

Thanks for the pics, I have a handle on it now. This one was made in 1885, the third year of production. The cover plate on the right side of the receiver shows no loading port which is the giveaway for the .22. This one has a really good bore that I was not expecting. It looks to hold about $200-300 worth of ammo... jk.

I have a little more cleaning to do, I have to coerce the magazine tube out as it seems happy to stay where it is from over the years. I might add a little metal to the lever spring to make the lever lock up tighter to the bottom tang but other than that it is ready to go.

Thanks to everyone for the help, all the ones on the internet I found looked like an umbrella slider on the end of the inner mag tube. This place is great.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    if your tube doesn't have a spring detent that goes on the bottom from the knurled follower I will make you one when I make mine so the shells will not slide out of the loaded inner tube while loading back into the outer mag tube.

The inner slider ( with the screw ) has about a 1cm track to slide the end of the screw in so when it butts up to the receiver it pushes it back which retracts the detent. This way a loaded tube can be held any way and the shells won't fall out except when removing a partially loaded tube. Thanks again. I will PM you when I get the design worked out.

Oh, and do me a favor and take a precise measurement from the inside of the front end cap to the inside of the end ring that fits into the receiver. I think this one has been broke off and brazed back with no attention to the overall length which is crucial for the detent to be retracted and allow the shells to flow freely into the receiver ( under spring power ). Thanks again!

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    The one I took the pic of does not have a screw hole in the same location as the one shown in atticachert's pic so the retainer sleeve was likely not on this one.
    Some of these 100+ year old mysteries are a challenge to solve...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Here is mine. I believe mine was made in 1886
    Yes, that is the revised version, what I call an umbrella slider. The flares hit the receiver and slide it back to allow the shells to pass. With the others the metal block has a small spring steel detent in a grove to provide the same action.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The one I took the pic of does not have a screw hole in the same location as the one shown in atticachert's pic so the retainer sleeve was likely not on this one.
    Some of these 100+ year old mysteries are a challenge to solve...
    You can see why I was puzzled when the net was showing the newer slider.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    If I’m not mistaken, before the turn of that century you might often find shooting galleries in the local watering hole. (Pre todays Dumbocrats) Given the magazine capacity and the 22 short chamber, I’ve got to wonder if that isn’t a rifle from one of those? I can’t think of many other uses for that caliber at that time. Just da** interesting and really cool. Nice find.

edit to tag @Mongo59

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    if your tube doesn't have a spring detent that goes on the bottom from the knurled follower I will make you one when I make mine so the shells will not slide out of the loaded inner tube while loading back into the outer mag tube.

The inner slider ( with the screw ) has about a 1cm track to slide the end of the screw in so when it butts up to the receiver it pushes it back which retracts the detent.

Oh, and do me a favor and take a precise measurement from the inside of the front end cap to the inside of the end ring that fits into the receiver. I think this one has been broke off and brazed back with no attention to the overall length which is crucial for the detent to be retracted and allow the shells to flow freely into the receiver ( under spring power ). Thanks again!
    From the rear side of the end plate that retains the inner mag to the rearward (back) of the ring at the rear end of the magazine is 24.150". From the same location to the forward side of the ring is 23.950". The ring measures .200 front to back. Hope this is useful.

Top Bottom