• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So, who among us regularly hangs a knife on a cord or chain around their neck?

Is it for emergencies, utility, both, or something else?

Do you conceal it? Always? Sometimes? Never?

What do you carry as your neck knife?

Do you like ultra small or big enough to be useful for daily use? How big is too big?

Do you ever wear a Morakniv on a string around your neck just to be like the bushcrafter k00l kIDz?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My first neck knife was a BK11 Beck Necker. Then when I got my pre-ESEE (but post Ontario) RAT 4, it became my neck knife. Then I got an Izula.

Now that I've used an ESEE 3 for a while, I like it so much better than the Izula or ESEE 4 that it has replaced the Izula. The size and weight are tradeoffs, but for now worth it to me. I may change my mind after a while and go back to the Izula. If ESEE ever makes an Izula-sized knife as thin as the ESEE 3, I'll be all over it.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I carried a Blind Horse knives tiger knapp for 3 years or so on my neck. Still have it, but for some reason I'm more into beefy folders the last year or two. Neck knives definitely have their place. I enjoy having a small fixed blade available.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I tried carrying a neck knife and just didn't like the feeling of it hanging off me all day. I'm not used to necklaces or anything so the feeling of having it around my neck was uncomfortable. Maybe a Junglas wasn't the best choice for that though?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I tried carrying a neck knife and just didn't like the feeling of it hanging off me all day. I'm not used to necklaces or anything so the feeling of having it around my neck was uncomfortable. Maybe a Junglas wasn't the best choice for that though?

It does take a commitment to neck carry a Junglas. A Kershaw is a bit more forgiving since it's easy to pull from its sheath from under your shirt than the Junglas (assuming you don't want to slice your shirt open).

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It does take a commitment to neck carry a Junglas. A Kershaw is a bit more forgiving since it's easy to pull from its sheath from under your shirt than the Junglas (assuming you don't want to slice your shirt open).

Not to derail your thread, but has anyone ever carried a Junglas like a ninja? Strapped to your back and ready to be brought forth like Leonardo? Just thinking out loud here...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not to derail your thread, but has anyone ever carried a Junglas like a ninja? Strapped to your back and ready to be brought forth like Leonardo? Just thinking out loud here...

Not yet . . .

You know at least half a dozen guys are going to give that a try as soon they read your message, right? Heh!

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis

My conundrum:
    1) listen to everything you say and follow it as gospel due to your experience with edged weapons.
    2) ignore everything you say and do the opposite due to your experience with edged weapons.

:dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My conundrum:
    1) listen to everything you say and follow it as gospel due to your experience with edged weapons.
    2) ignore everything you say and do the opposite due to your experience with edged weapons.

:dunno:

That right there is good stuff. Well played, sir!

I'll supply the pizza, and the sewer :dunno:, and the Band-Aids for anyone willing to try it.

I'm going to need a really, really big Band-Aid for the gash I put on my back trying to resheath it.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Cool. Did you wear it instead of carrying a folder, or in addition to it?

I typically didn't carry a folder. I was working for a logging crew and had so much crap on my belt and in my pants i didn't want any extra weight. Between my belt and pants i carried saw tools, radio, wedges, etc. I abused the ever loving hell out of the bhk and it never failed. Before it I carried a benchmade folder, but i smoked the blade in half jumping a piece of equipment. 24 volts spinning a detroit diesel will smoke a blade. After benchmade replaced the blade i retired it to weekend carry. I'm back to carrying a Adamas folder now. But this tread has me thinking of breaking a neck knife out this week

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    I've carried a Brous Silent Soldier pretty regularly as a necker. That or a Folts minimalist are my faves.

I've done the Mora, but it's a little big for the role, IMO.

Totally agree on the thin Izula. I would love something like that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I typically didn't carry a folder. I was working for a logging crew and had so much crap on my belt and in my pants i didn't want any extra weight. Between my belt and pants i carried saw tools, radio, wedges, etc. I abused the ever loving hell out of the bhk and it never failed. Before it I carried a benchmade folder, but i smoked the blade in half jumping a piece of equipment. 24 volts spinning a detroit diesel will smoke a blade. After benchmade replaced the blade i retired it to weekend carry. I'm back to carrying a Adamas folder now. But this tread has me thinking of breaking a neck knife out this week

That's a good occupation to be very careful about where your knife dangles! And to have it on a break-away lanyard or chain.

I've carried a Brous Silent Soldier pretty regularly as a necker. That or a Folts minimalist are my faves.

I've done the Mora, but it's a little big for the role, IMO.

Totally agree on the thin Izula. I would love something like that.

Maybe we should write some emails.

My knives are in the category of "pocket candy" they need to be visible at all times.

We've been CRAILED!!!

Top Bottom