• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I really don't know anything about Glock. I would like to purchase a new one in 9mm, but I don't know which one to get. What gen or model is the best? I would like to buy a .40 barrel to change calibers also. I have large hands, so no compact will work, and i am not going to carry this. It will just be to target shoot.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I really don't know anything about Glock. I would like to purchase a new one in 9mm, but I don't know which one to get. What gen or model is the best? I would like to buy a .40 barrel to change calibers also. I have large hands, so no compact will work, and i am not going to carry this. It will just be to target shoot.

You can't go from a 9mm Glock to .40 with a conversion barrel. You can go from a .40 Glock to 9mm by using a conversion barrel.

Gen 4 is a little more expensive than Gen 3. They are not as proven and have had some issues.

Are you looking for full size (17/22) or compact (19/23) or sub-compact (26/27)?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    The Glock 22 (.40) and the Glock 17 (9mm) are the exact same size.
    So if you want to have both 40 amd 9mm, buy a Glock 22 and the 9mm conversion barrel and some Glock17 9mm mags and you are set.

Everyone seems to like the compact models Glock 23 (.40) or Glock 19 (9mm) for carry.
    They are not really as small as some of the compact guns that are out there.
    Same thing applies.
    Buy a 23 and get a 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    For your application I would go with a G22 in .40s&w and get a 9mm conversion barrel with some G17 magazines.

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    are you sure you would NEVER carry this? If so get the 23. It's still a 4 inch barrel compared to the 22 which is basically a 4.5 inch barrel. You also have a 27 which is a 3.5 inch barrel basically.

sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I don't carry, I am just looking for a Glock that will be the most accurate for target practice and fit my hand. A buddy brought a police trade in .40 to my range to shoot, and we were consistantly hitting a 6" circle at 50 yards and occaisionally hitting 8" at 100yards. That made me want to get one.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I would go with the G22 if the intentions are strictly for range/target. You didn't sound like you had a problem with your buddy's .40s&w and you can get the 9mm conversion if you so desire.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Technically, the MOST accurate is going to be one of the long slide versions: 34,35 due to the extra sight radius. I would stick with normal full sized 17,22 though.

tj_v89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    gen 4 G21 is the most accurate handgun ive ever shot...a great defense gun as well

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    So I would want a 22 gen 3 in .40? Is a barrel and clip the only parts I need to go 9mm?
    Supposedly, a conversion barrel is drilled just slightly off center so the .40 cal extractor does not need to be changed.
    It picks up the 9mm casings just fine.
    So yes, you only need a conversion barrel and a 9mm magazine.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Know a cop, fire fighter, military? Have them use their glock discount. I'd never pay full retail or more for a glock. Basic glock otd at SRJco in indy with the discount is $427.xx

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Bite the bullet in Seymour is close to you and they have a good section on hand. If I was getting one for just range work, I would get a Glock 35. Better trigger and controls.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have the G17 Gen3. Most people choose the G19 for EDC, but I am fine with carring a full size. If you ever decide to carry which I hope you do, you will want to add this thought into your decision. I would go 9mm just for cost of ammo. I wouldn't mess with a conversion kit. After putting the money into the conversion you could just buy a bunch more ammo in .40S&W. But then again you have a handgun in 2 caliber. Carrying modern defensive loads in a 9mm isn't much different than the .40S&W. At least the difference is so miniscule that is doesn't phase my trust in the 9mm. I have heard some horror stories about the Gen4's. If I remember correctly one of the problems was the guide rod and or guide rod spring. Also the extractor had issues, but apparently Glock fixed these problems. I would definately get rid of those God awful factory sights...:twocents:

My vote is either G17 or G19.

Top Bottom