• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You are not kidding, I have shot with Wayne Downham many times. He is one heck of a shooter and a fine man. He has won at the State and National level, not to mention consistantly being in the top few places on the score book locally.
    I have a great story about the old man from the 70's. Back then he was not overly liked because he was "intense" and at time lacked people skills. He was not winning any popularity contests back then.

I am pulling on the 4th pad, one of those August days that is 100% humidity with sun beating down. Everyone is running perfect, this is for the big money. He has 97 straight and he misses...............or so he and everyone else thought. I even think my cousin was in that squad so they all KNEW I meant it when I scored it as a hit. He just looked at me in shock.

A break is a break and I saw an orange flake. He won and he did remember to thank me. I always remember him doing that and I can still see that flake.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Oh my gosh

So much confusion! Everybody knows you use a shotgun for trap shooting. It's skeets that you shoot with a rifle. Try to shoot the skeets in the head so you don't destroy the meat. Marinate them in Hoppes #9 then deep fry 'em in CLP. Delicious!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I think the last name Downham gives you a supernatural ability to destroy clay disks at an insane level of awesome!
    Genetics is part of it but practice is most of it. :laugh:

PS I have a lot of fond memories of model 12's and BT99's up and down the Wabash Valley. Per square mile and per pound, that area produces lots of great shooters. It must be the water!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Genetics is part of it but practice is most of it. :laugh:

PS I have a lot of fond memories of model 12's and BT99's up and down the Wabash Valley. Per square mile and per pound, that area produces lots of great shooters. It must be the water!

Probably....

northtownship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Waring it's addictive. Been out with the other half 3 times to the wobble trap. She uses a Stevens 411 SxS and I use an Uplander Supreme SxS. We're old school. Even a cheap side by side is fun she hit 18 and I hit 22 out of 25 last weekend. You don't need to spend a ton of money to have a great time.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My next door neighbor has shot trap,, twice a week for at least the last 20 years with a single shot 12 gauge. I use a O/U but only load one.when I can go with.him.

Like Ed says, better to hit with one shot than to miss with two. There is only one clay pigeon in trap afterall.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    You can use any shotgun. I usually use a 12 ga but have shot trap with lesser gages. Gun fit is very important. If you start shooting more, you can always upgrade.

Dave

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    The Mossberg 500 would be a fine gun to pick up. If you can find a deal on a used one even better. Look around and see what is in the classifieds on this page.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I LOVE CZ's, I have never gotten a bad one... taking my 6.5x55 for Russian boar the end of this month.

That sounds like serious fun. :rockwoot:

But, back to the topic; I bought a Rem 1100 used for under $400. Since I haven't shot clays much I thought something inexpensive is a good start until I figure out what I really want.

Rbadger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Auburn, IN
    I bought a Stoeger 20 Gage pump action shotgun and it works great for clay pigeons with game loads. If I remember right I paid around $300 for it.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    870 works for everything. If you have a good back stop, a 10/22 is a lot of fun. Takes a lot of practice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom