• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    Wilson magazines work fine in my PM9, purchased used so it's broken in. A friend let me run a couple of his Tripp magazines, they work very well too.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Random advice on Wilson Combat mags, generally when I buy them I will leave them fully loaded for about a week then use them it really helps with the "stiffness" you described.

Also have you taken the gun apart and relubed it? I have noticed Dan Wesson ships their guns pretty dry. I generally run all my 1911's pretty wet so just field strip the gun clean it and lube it with the provided oil. The combination of the two things above should resolve your issues.

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    Went to the range again. Guns running pretty well. Been following the break in instructions and running it wet.

I picked up some tripp research 10rd magazines. I think I found some winners in those.

vangurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2017
    Valparaiso
    Tripp's seem to run the best in 9mm for some reason, at least for me. I only use Wilson and Tripp mags in my 1911's. Pricey but worth it, nothing worse then a gun that doesn't run. Good Luck and hope your having fun with the DW.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    For me, its not even close... the Valor is the best production pistol out the box by a mile.

But... it sounds like you bought a PM9! Hell of a pistol for the cash man... Shoot it and have fun!

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    Tripp mags are working a lot better than the Wilsons.

What type of loads do people run in their 9mm 1911? Ive been running 115 gr federal american eagle rounds. I feel like they may be a bit on the soft side. Im still having some rounds failto eject but I can manually pull the slide back to fix it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

What type of loads do people run in their 9mm 1911? Ive been running 115 gr federal american eagle rounds. I feel like they may be a bit on the soft side. Im still having some rounds failto eject but I can manually pull the slide back to fix it.

Never had a problem with my 9mm Dan Wessons or Wilson Combats, using the Wilson Combat "Lite Oil" and Wilson Combat ETM magazines. Currently shooting some very light "mouse load" reloads in all of my 9's. I will post the recipe when I get home but to give you an idea how under powered these rounds are they will not even function most stock Glock's

Last edited:

JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville

I'm running SNS coated 125g RN, 3.9-4.1g N320 with CCI primers. I think I've run 1000 rounds through my PM-9, one FTF because of "Glocked" brass.

Now I have a 100 round case gauge, now running 100%.

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    Update: I think I found the best combo for my PM9. Wolff 12lbs recoil spring and the tripp mags. Hundreds of rounds without an issue now.

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    Another modification I made was adding a Wilson Combat extended mag release. I can now work the slide release without adjusting my grip. Works out great.

I also ordered some VZ Grips with a notch to hopefully get better access to the mag release button.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I feel like this question comes up way to often here... Just go get the damn Dan Wesson. It just a far superior gun in every way possible. I am not going to spell it all out again, but the search function works wonders!!

Wesson over SA all day everyday.

Not to mention, why would any "gun guy" supporter of 2A ever buy a SA after the bull crap they pulled a few years back? Most have already forgotten, not me.

Get the Wesson dude.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I feel like this question comes up way to often here... Just go get the damn Dan Wesson. It just a far superior gun in every way possible. I am not going to spell it all out again, but the search function works wonders!!

Wesson over SA all day everyday.

Not to mention, why would any "gun guy" supporter of 2A ever buy a SA after the bull crap they pulled a few years back? Most have already forgotten, not me.

Get the Wesson dude.

OK.....lets review. Price. Initial entry into the 1911 game. Maybe they stay maybe they do not.
    Some of us like to play with them. You know, enjoy the upgrades. Search out the options and alternatives. make it better through our own efforts. Like owning a Harley. There is so much you can "DO" with it. I like the "Do" part of all this.

There are enough used SA's running around out there for really good prices. Buying one of them does absolutely NADA to support Springfield.

In all of this I am well past just buying a run from the box gun. Start from scratch and build what you really want. I still enjoy Modifying one. A lot actually. Hard to justify doing this to a DW.

Next response is probably..."A DW does not need it" and I get that too.

Choose your poison. It sounds like the OP is enjoying this aspect of the 1911. As do so many of us.
    Is the DW a better piece....these days they really are.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    OK.....lets review. Price. Initial entry into the 1911 game. Maybe they stay maybe they do not.
    Some of us like to play with them. You know, enjoy the upgrades. Search out the options and alternatives. make it better through our own efforts. Like owning a Harley. There is so much you can "DO" with it. I like the "Do" part of all this.

There are enough used SA's running around out there for really good prices. Buying one of them does absolutely NADA to support Springfield.

In all of this I am well past just buying a run from the box gun. Start from scratch and build what you really want. I still enjoy Modifying one. A lot actually. Hard to justify doing this to a DW.

Next response is probably..."A DW does not need it" and I get that too.

Choose your poison. It sounds like the OP is enjoying this aspect of the 1911. As do so many of us.
    Is the DW a better piece....these days they really are.

A DW does not need it!!

Lol... Church, all fair points. Additionally you are correct about buying used! I’ve not read through the entire thread if that was something being tossed out.

From what I can tell after later upgrading the SA, it seems you are spending more on the SA with work. If ever selling later on, from typically the money put into the gun for “upgrades”, most of the upgrades money ends up being a total loss.

As mentioned... just buy the Wesson:)

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    A DW does not need it!!

Lol... Church, all fair points. Additionally you are correct about buying used! I’ve not read through the entire thread if that was something being tossed out.

From what I can tell after later upgrading the SA, it seems you are spending more on the SA with work. If ever selling later on, from typically the money put into the gun for “upgrades”, most of the upgrades money ends up being a total loss.

As mentioned... just buy the Wesson:)
    He wasn't saying price point, some people enjoy the building and personalizing aspect. SA foots that bill as a good base to start with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He wasn't saying price point, some people enjoy the building and personalizing aspect. SA foots that bill as a good base to start with.

I see his point. It is just not mine. Every 1911 and CZ in the safe has my personal touch's in them. Makes them mine.
    Seriously, If I bought a top of the line Camaro with the big motor and all the goods it would only take a brief time for it to become......."Personalized" it is just the way of things.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you enjoy building the gun yourself, the value of a DW will be lost on you. They just don't need anything other than grips and maybe sights. Depending on what you get, not even that. All of my DWs were great out of the box and needed nothing in terms of tuning. That's great in some ways, but I also enjoy shooting stuff that I've had a hand in creating. That's why I own Colts too. There is little in a Colt that could not benefit from an upgrade. Colts and Springers are great project guns if you are looking for a project starting point. DWs are great guns if you just want a quality 1911 that will run without issues.

Top Bottom