• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QingLong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Reposting this from the LGS forum, in the hopes of getting a useful answer.

Here's the deal:

The last two times I've been to the Castleton GM, I've had a firearm pointed in my direction. First time, it was a shotgun. I walk toward the gun counter, and the guy behind the counter raises the weapon to his shoulder and points it right at me. I stop, give him an annoyed look, and he shrugs and raises the gun to point above my head, toward the blank wall above the front door. Then, this week, I go in, walk to the gun counter, and some kid in his 20s raises an AR-15 and points it right at me, smirking. I say "hey", and he just puts the gun down, turns, and starts talking to another guy.
    So yeah, I know it's a store, and the guns aren't loaded, but every gun safety instinct I have tells me that I am the proper level of pissed off about this (which is to say pretty damned pissed off).
    Before I fire off an angry letter or two, anyone have any advice or calming words?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It's not only reckless, idiotic and rude... it is a crime.

IC 35-47-4-3

(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.

Correct offenders on the spot and call or send a letter to GM.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Happened to me too. I quietly and politely told him IF he was going to point guns at ME that I would point MINE at HIM.
    I think the look on his face was proof I got my point across.
    You have to educate the "sensibly challenged" and help them throughout life.
    You have to make the point to these clerks that IT CAN'T BE DONE. You may save a live.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Stop wearing a shoot-n-see target on your chest when visiting GM and your problem will cease to exist. ;)

Seriously though, I agree. The employees should stay on top of things like that. They should warn/advise customers that even though they are in a store, the 4 rules still apply.

Always keep the muzzle in a safe direction!

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Definitely not overreacting. It is dangerous and irresponsible behavior. Correct the offenders on the spot, and make that call or send the letter to GM.

In addition to removing the shoot-n-see target, I wouldn't wear the hat with the deer antlers on it next time, either. Just to be safe.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I can't believe that no one has brought up the guy that shot himself at the Castleton mall.. What, 5-10 years ago? Those guns were all unloaded, until he asked to see it as if he was going to buy it.. Then when the salesman handed the shotgun to him he put a round in and killed himself. There are plenty crazy people in this world that would possibly do the same thing. The only difference is, you might be the target.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My neighbor went to an auction house the day before an auction to preview some firearms. He picked up an SKS and racked the bolt and a live round popped out. The mag well was full. The auction worked about deficated his drawers. What they said above. Guns are ALWAYS loaded.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    The last time I was at GM the kid behind the counter was "playing" with a gun. He kept holding it out and aiming it at stuff. I find it harder and harder to go in there!

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Just blows my mind how comfortable some schmucks are pointing a weapon at people. Even when handling a weapon a clerk has just checked and cleared for me, I'll still check it, and even then I take care to not point the muzzle in their direction. I'll point it to either side, or down at the ground, or up high on the wall: somewhere other than at them!

I taught riflery at a YMCA camp a few summers ago and despite telling the kids over and over to keep their weapons pointed down-range, forward of the red line and under the wire (kids were firing from the prone position and a wire was set ~18" off the ground with a red line painted at the firing line. That way, if they were under the wire, and forward of the red line, the muzzle was always pointed downrange) I had loaded weapons pointed right at me plenty of times that summer. Not cool.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    FULL

World is full of stupid people.

And........the fact that they work in a gun store, especially Gander Mountain, doesn't exclude them from the above.

You are not overreacting. Maybe late reacting, though. I'd like to think I would have spoken up. I'd also be willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of those who attended the 1500 were at least "muzzle-swept" several times.

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    Did I read it correctly that the guy behind the counter pointed the shotgun at you - as in the employee of the store? He should know better for sure. And the kid who "smirked" when he pointed the gun at you. Both of them need the S**t slapped out of them!!! I would have been really really p*$$ed at the kid!!! And then the guy behind the counter re-aims over your head?!?!?! I just might have come seriously unglued!!!!

Top Bottom