• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I think a big part of the problem is that big box gunstore counters just don't hire "gun people" anymore. They hire kids instead of paying a few bucks more to get a more mature employee who knows guns.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these guys never held a gun prior to being hired.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I can't believe that no one has brought up the guy that shot himself at the Castleton mall.. What, 5-10 years ago? Those guns were all unloaded, until he asked to see it as if he was going to buy it.. Then when the salesman handed the shotgun to him he put a round in and killed himself. There are plenty crazy people in this world that would possibly do the same thing. The only difference is, you might be the target.

I remember reading about that and seeing it on the newscast too.

I had a similar experience once. Guy was looking at a .22 and swept about the entire floor. I looked at him with a particularly annoyed expression and said that my 9 and 11 year old daughters know better than to do something like that and what was his excuse. He got this sheepish look on his face and set the gun down on the counter. I told him to definitely check the gun out but to remember his gun etiquette. Guy behind the counter just stood there. Jeez. :dunno:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Just blows my mind how comfortable some schmucks are pointing a weapon at people. Even when handling a weapon a clerk has just checked and cleared for me, I'll still check it, and even then I take care to not point the muzzle in their direction. I'll point it to either side, or down at the ground, or up high on the wall: somewhere other than at them!

I taught riflery at a YMCA camp a few summers ago and despite telling the kids over and over to keep their weapons pointed down-range, forward of the red line and under the wire (kids were firing from the prone position and a wire was set ~18" off the ground with a red line painted at the firing line. That way, if they were under the wire, and forward of the red line, the muzzle was always pointed downrange) I had loaded weapons pointed right at me plenty of times that summer. Not cool.

Was that at Flat Rock River Camp???

Went there as a kid about 7 yrs old. Got to shoot the .22's. The instructor also brought out a shotgun and an AR and shot full water jugs, pumpkins, watermelons and such to give a demo on what guns are capable of. Left an impression on all of us.

QingLong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I had actually forgotten that it's technically a chargeable crime to point an unloaded firearm at a person; always just seemed one of those common sense things to me, like how there's no law against sticking your hand in a garbage disposal.

Yeah, I should have said something to the manager right then and there. I'm probably too used to avoiding conflict in the interest of not being "that guy". I used to be very quick to anger about stuff like this, often unreasonably so, so as an adult, I've tried to dial back the responses...maybe a bit too far.

Good to know, though, that I'm not the only one this happens to. I figured the employees would know more about gun safety, but I guess I'm wrong on that count. Scary.

I'll definitely write a letter, but having taken a few days to cool down, I'm going to focus more on the importance of firearm safety and less on my opinion that they're a pack of morons. :-)

Thanks, all!

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The most memorable lesson I ever recieved in muzzle control happened when I was 10 yrs. old and visiting my Grandparents in the MO. Ozarks. Grandpa had me shooting a .22 rifle at a target setup about 30 yds. away. It was a big deal to me as shooting was a new thing, and I really looked up to him. When adjusting to reload, I happened to sweep his dog! The next thing I know I was picking myself up off the ground and Grandad was informing me that muzzle control is something you absolutely may never have a "lapse" with. Remember it like it was yesterday, and my son has learned the lesson as well!

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    IMHO, something needs to be said on the spot. They may be a bone-head, or simply uneducated. If they don't know that it isn't ok to point a firearm at somebody, they surely will not think to check the chamber. Just remember, the next time they point at someone, it might be your spouse, son or daughter.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I saw am MP at at the shooting range at Fort Huachuca Az put an unloaded Sig p226 to her head and blow her brains out all over the pavement. But she was just foolin around so....:dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It's one thing for a stupid customer to point at you, but a guy behind the counter? I would have given him a piece of my mind, then if he acted like a douche I would have told his manager what I thought about it.

4x4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Had I been an employee/manager/owner at that store, the person doing the pointing would be kicked out, cussed out and never allowed back.

Why are people so stupid?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    not over-reacting

Ooops...double posted got distracted.

No worries, you'll hit that 50 post count soon :laugh:.

I definitely don't think you were overreacting. That is a very dangerous action to take, even if the gun is "unloaded". I honestly find it a little sad that the IC code differentiates the punishment for a loaded vs unloaded weapon. The 2 should be treated with the same level of respect.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    There is NEVER an excuse for sweeping somebody. Absolutely not over reacting. These people need to be brought to Jesus the moment it happens. If they want to play stupid, they can do it on their time and in private. Include me in the equation you can bet your bottom dollar it will be a moment they remember for a long time. My brother had a nice way of dealing with an incident like this at Cabelas. The guy was just given a handgun and he turned and pointed it right at him. He grabbed his cell and made like he dialed 911. He starts saying " I need to report that someone just pointed a gun at me and I'm still looking at him. I'm at the Cabelas in Dundee and I'll follow him until you get here." The clerk and the customer were crappin in their drawers. Customer beat feet out of the store and the clerk got his manager over to talk to my brother. The manager asked the clerk what did he do and when he said nothing he was sent to unload a truck. Why people don't stop to think is beyond me.:xmad::xmad:

70worm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Pendleton
    Right across the street is the Dick's or maybe it was still Galyan's when the guy carried in his own shells, asked to see a shotgun and shot himself. I admit I dont think much of it when people are swinging guns around in GM, but maybe I should.

Top Bottom