• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Expanding bullets really do increase the wound substantially.

Is that even how to spell absence? :) :dunno:

Wounds? We're talking .45 right?
    I thought they'd burst into flames? At the very least, lifted from their feet and propelled backward?

Firefox spells for me, we'll blame Mozilla.:):
    im drn near illiterate takes a major effort just 2 post i am likin the new txt style posting tho who cares about thos that have to actually read it:rolleyes:

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    I love the Federal HST's in my 1911 and after I seening how they expand to almost twice the original size is good enough for me.

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I'd give another +1 to Hornady Critical Defense and Speer Gold Dot rounds. Both are efficient and hold together well. In my testing, the Hornady has held together better, both in expansion and in keeping its jacket on. The little red plug is a great idea because it keeps the hole from clogging up and affecting expansion. it also makes it look like a little warhead, which i think is really funny, for some reason. :)

Specialized

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    The big issue with the 45acp is making sure it feeds in your gun. Many of the older style guns (and they are still made) have ramps designed to feed round ball style ammo. Some hollowpoints don't feed well in some brands of guns. The Remington Golden Saber has an ogive that is identical to Remington round ball ammo and if you can't find a hollow point ammo that feeds well in your gun the Golden Saber will probably feed when others won't.

I use HST's in mine and they have the same look as a Golden saber. I have those also. I know the HST's won all the tests etc and are VERY hard to come by. I bought a box of 50 for $35, and kick myself for not buying the other box. I have yet to find HST's in 9mm.

Just an opinion.:ingo:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It gets my attention that no one is mentioning Corbon.
    Too much money?

Corbon has always had a good reputation in defensive ammo.

Their DPX seems like a great round, but I don't know that it can justify double to triple the price of HST.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    At the risk of sounding conceited, look for ammo tests under my name here and under Google.

Findings, with few exceptions, are expansion to about 3/4" and about 12" to 14" (adjusted) of ballistic gelatin with any 230grn HP designed within the past 5 years. You shouldn't need more than 9" penetration; the FBI specified more penetration after a failure to stop due to a bullet ceasing forward momentum something like 1/2" from a suspect's heart.

Go to your gunstore. Ask for 230grn HP ammo. Buy what they give you ;)

Josh

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    My uncle said this to me a while back, and since then I've gotten a 1911 and never deviated.

230 grains coming at you at 850 FPS is a hell of a mass, and it will always do it's job, unlike hollow points in a 45 because the velocity isn't always high enough to mushroom out 100% of the time.

Plus, FMJs are cheaper and feed smoother :D

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    My uncle said this to me a while back, and since then I've gotten a 1911 and never deviated.

230 grains coming at you at 850 FPS is a hell of a mass, and it will always do it's job, unlike hollow points in a 45 because the velocity isn't always high enough to mushroom out 100% of the time.

Plus, FMJs are cheaper and feed smoother :D

A FMJ 230grn bullet will exit about 50% of the time, increasing the possibility of hitting someone other than the target.

You're losing nothing by carrying a hollowpoint round. If it doesn't open, it will still act as a full metal jacket.

I personally carry stuff that won't open in heavy clothing for added penetration, but will deform just fine after light or no clothing.

Josh

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mac Ammo?

Looked at a recovered .45 at Mac Ammo out of Whitmore Lake, MI at the 1500. It reminded me of what Black Talons looked like, without the black. Anyone ever try this ammo? Was going to go back and get some just to try it out, but ran out of $. :dunno:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Looked at a recovered .45 at Mac Ammo out of Whitmore Lake, MI at the 1500. It reminded me of what Black Talons looked like, without the black. Anyone ever try this ammo? Was going to go back and get some just to try it out, but ran out of $. :dunno:

I've never heard of it.

If you can get a spare round or three and send them to me, I'll gladly throw a test up here.

Josh

Top Bottom