• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlang0920

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    hello ingo:) i bought a used 12 guage pump mossberg the barrel looks scarred from not being cleaned alot i almost used whole bottle of hoppes solvent and patches still coming out dirty? i need help on other solvent ideas to get this barrel clean please

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Shotguns are tough.. heck, I've seen a few that looked really clean that were so covered with molten plastic that you'd think at first glance they were perfect! My shotguns don't get too dirty so I'm usually pretty good with oil only, but I'm sure some folks that do mroe serious shotgun shooting will be able to give you more info..

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    You might try Butch's Bore Shine. Works really well for all types of fouling. Here is also a trick that I use to get the crud out. Soak the bore for a while with the solvent then put your brass bore brush on the rod and wrap a patch around the brush. Soak the patch in solvent and brush out the bore. The patch picks up the crud that the brush removes.

Bore Shine Bore Cleaning Solvent 4oz Liquid

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'd forgotten about Butch's Bore Shine.. a good friend of mine who has been a LE Firearms instructor about as long as I've been alive swears by that stuff..

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    [FONT=&quot]I read somewhere that using a scotch bright pad on the end of a drill w/ solvent works good and fast. [/FONT]

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    bore snake & CLP is all you really need. who cares if a Mossberg 500 is up to WWII GI cleaning standards? yes, the barrel might be pitted in some spots. if it isn't enough to affect the structural integrity, who cares? that won't affect buck/birdshot accuracy.

If you're really worried about it, go buy a new barrel.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I wad up paper towels and push them through.

Are you letting the barrel soak any? Scrub the barrel, let it soak, go clean the bathroom or something, and then come back and push the paper towels through.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I wad up paper towels and push them through.

Are you letting the barrel soak any? Scrub the barrel, let it soak, go clean the bathroom or something, and then come back and push the paper towels through.

gotta try the wadded up paper towel thing but cleaning bathroom while im waiting? how bout cleanin my guns if your that bored?:):

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Plug one end of the barrel with a cork, stand it up and fill it with solvent, let it sit for 1 week, 2 days, 13 hours and 47 minutes. Wait. It's a shotgun. Unless it's rifled and you're pushing slugs or sabots out to 100yd, heck, even then, it'll be very forgiving. Just keep cleaning it after every use and eventually it'll get better.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Kroil is supposed to help remove crude by getting under it. BBS is good is good for copper removal.

dlang0920

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    you know i have to say out of all the advise though all good some bad thanks for everybody responding and thanks for those wise crackers as well i have to say im tied with soaking it in rise to corking one side of barrell filling it with solvent for 12 hours too funny but thanks ingo

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    do people not use actual solvents these days? granted its a shotgun, but buildup still occurs and can be quite difficult to remove.

Top Bottom