• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Looking to add a new pistol caliber later this year...should funds allow. Not sure if I want to go with 45 acp or .357. I would love to have a 1911. But at the same time I really like the Ruger SP101, .357, and just over a 4 inch barrel. I am just not sure which way I want to go. Pros and cons on both rounds, personal preferences and why. With money as tight as it is, I just can't get both. What do you say INGO, which way do I go?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If money is that tight, I would suggest the .45acp.
    Ammunition is more readily available and less expensive than .357mag.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The SP-101 is my favorite handgun. And I own several 1911's. With full power .357's, I love how the fireball envelops my hand when I shoot my Ruger.

I've got a J-frame snubbie (2"bbl) Taurus 605 that also doubles as a short range flame thrower. :thumbsup:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Both good choices and both available in several price points. 45 acp is a little cheaper than .357 but you can get .38 special for a little less. I started reloading right after I got my first 1911, just too much fun to shoot. A lot.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    With money as tight as it is, I just can't get both. What do you say INGO, which way do I go?

.357 and a reloading kit. It's real easy to keep track of your brass, reloading for revolvers is very forgiving, and revolvers are the blonds of the gun world. They just have more fun.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    .357 and watch this forum for a good used single stage press, and all the other goodies you'll need to start reloading.

Leave the progressive stuff for a later date. You'll always have a use for a single stage press if you stay with the hobby. (i have an old RCBS rockchucker that my dad bought new back in the 70's. I'll wear out before it will)

Run .38 special through it for plinking. Then, at dusk, run some hot .357's through it for the flame show!

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Looks like people are leaning towards the 357. I do like a revolver and I do own 3, Taurus 905, and 2 Nagants. I already reload so ammo is not a huge deal. But it does look like people are steering me towards a .357. I like the idea of not chasing brass, but them 1911s look so nice. Thanks for all the replies, more thought and if at all possible, range time is required. Thanks again INGO.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Do you have auto's and revolvers already? If you have no revolvers, you have to have at least one. Same with auto's. I love my 357, as mentioned it is easy to reload, easy to keep track of brass. I love my 357 revolver but have to admit I mostly shoot 38 special through it. I shot so much 38 I developed a ring just pass where the brass stops in the cylinder and could not get 357 in it until I cleaned it very well. Each has it's own style and use. Mine is a 6 inch barrel, barrel length is another decision if you go revolver. For a target pistol I don't go below 6 inches.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I have heard many times that shooting a lot of .38 spl in a .357 will eventually erode a ring in the chamber at the mouth of the .38 case area. This can make it difficult to extract .357 cases. I've never had it happen to me as I never shot 38's in a .357, but it seems plausible.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Been shooting .38spl in .357 revolvers for 40+ years, never had anything wrong with the chambers except fouling that could be cleaned with Hoppes and a brush.

If reloading .45, is only a little more money due to the bullet cost than .357. .357 is only a penny or so more than .38 spl. For bang for buck when you are not reloading .38spl is probably cheapest after the bargain priced 9mm, esp if you buy bulk lead bullet loads. I have always had revolvers and 1911's in my safe, even when everything else got sold off.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's a tool (it also may be considered an addiction :draw:), it depends on what you're using it for.

I like .45ACP for carry, but I like wheel guns for the range and cowboy shooting too. My first pistol was a .44 revolver but I've used auto's in the military and for personal carry for many years.

Consider what you're going to do with it the most and then buy what you want.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    .357 and a reloading kit. It's real easy to keep track of your brass, reloading for revolvers is very forgiving, and revolvers are the blonds of the gun world. They just have more fun.

BBI is right. And it looks like you already reload.
    I load 38 spl for about $.14/rd with plated bullets. I could get that less if I used lead, but I don't like shooting lead (not starting a debate here, just stating MY preferences)
    I don't have all my data with me, but here's a summary from memory:
    primer = $.03 @ $30/1k ($.04 at most)
    powder = approx 5 grains ($.02 @$30/lb)
    brass = I have on hand
    bullet = $.09 (plated, extremebullets)

I don't think that you can reload a .45 for less than that, perhaps even, but not less.
    And yes, it's nice to NOT chase brass from a revolver

Edit to add: shooting lead will decrease this, especially if you cast your own lead. I'm not current;y equipped to do this, and I'm fine paying $.14/rd since I shoot 100-200 rds per outing and usually only go out every month or month and a half.
    I was previously shooting ALL store-bought ammo, mostly in .40, so these prices are very appealing

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Thanks again for all the replies...I think I am leaning toward the .357. I like the idea of another revolver. It's not for carry, just a fun gun. My carry weapons are either my Taurus 905, or my Bersa Thunder Plus. Don't really need another carry weapon at the moment. Thanks again for all those that replied and gave me advice on this. Now, I just have to keep saving and see what I can find. Thanks again INGO.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

That's funny, I was going to say the same thing about .45acp. ;) The one caveat being that for .45 reloads I stick to FMJ round nose, just seem to feed better. Reloading .45 is easy, but to me most pistol ammo is an easier process to reload compared to rifle. For my 1911, for self-defense ammo I stick to a good quality factory ammo like Federal premium, which I have range tested to confirm it feeds well in my 1911.

Top Bottom