• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    My head is swimming in sorting out a 1911 for purchase (soon) and I need some INGO opinions. This is strictly a .45 caliber pursuit even though I like .40 cal in modern frames.

Goal 1: Reliability before bells and whistles.

Goal 2: Find the right 1911 the first time.

Goal 3: Quality components/tight tolerances.

Goal 4: Prefer new over used but not opposed to it.

So far I've looked at a Remington R1, which I liked for it traditional design and cost and a Sig Revolution, which I also liked. The Sig Rev was light and would make a great CC for a large gun but the price is a few bills outside of my budget, but could be painfully stretched. What I didn't like about the Sig Rev was the reach for the slide catch/release. It prefer a one handed release.

A few months ago I looked at a few Sig Compact Carry's and a Para Ordnance Compact and liked the ability to conceal but where they lose length, they seem to get fatter. I've yet to look at Colt for no other reason than I just haven't but want to. Custom stuff is outside the parameters unless you are buying. :D

No offense to anyone but Armscor is a no go with me. Kimber and Taurus are both very respectable and I know guys really like them but they are off the list for me.

Any way, I like the narrowness of the traditional service frame but can't seem to find a carry size that retains some of the thin traditional design.

To add mud to the search, I originally was set on finding a Detonics Combat Master in top condition but buying something that old is taking a big risk. Here is one for example and I'm not totally throwing out the idea.

DETONICS COMBAT MASTER MkVI .45 Detonics Pistols for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Ninjalawyer. Buy or bid on this DETONICS COMBAT MASTER MkVI .45 in the category Detonics Pistols on GunsAmerica.

Your help is appreciated.

Last edited:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    You didn't list the two biggest parameters for your search. Budget and purpose.

Without knowing these, and based on what you've said, I'd recommend something from the Springfield Armory line. Either a GI, Mil-spec, loaded, or range officer model. Sig, S&W, and Ruger all make a great 1911 in the upper end of that price range as well.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    My head is swimming in sorting out a 1911 for purchase (soon) and I need some INGO opinions. This is strictly a .45 caliber pursuit even though I like .40 cal in modern frames.

Goal 1: Reliability before bells and whistles.

Goal 2: Find the right 1911 the first time.

Goal 3: Quality components/tight tolerances.

Goal 4: Prefer new over used but not opposed to it.

So far I've looked at a Remington R1, which I liked for it traditional design and cost and a Sig Revolution, which I also liked. The Sig Rev was light and would make a great CC for a large gun but the price is a few bills outside of my budget, but could be painfully stretched. What I didn't like about the Sig Rev was the reach for the slide catch/release. It prefer a one handed release.

A few months ago I looked at a few Sig Compact Carry's and a Para Ordnance Compact and liked the ability to conceal but where they lose length, they seem to get fatter. I've yet to look at Colt for no other reason than I just haven't but want to. Custom stuff is outside the parameters unless you are buying. :D

No offense to anyone but Armscor is a no go with me. Kimber and Taurus are both very respectable and I know guys really like them but they are off the list for me.

Any way, I like the narrowness of the traditional service frame but can't seem to find a carry size that retains some of the thin traditional design.

To add mud to the search, I originally was set on finding a Detonics Combat Master in top condition but buying something that old is taking a big risk. Here is one for example and I'm not totally throwing out the idea.

DETONICS COMBAT MASTER MkVI .45 Detonics Pistols for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Ninjalawyer. Buy or bid on this DETONICS COMBAT MASTER MkVI .45 in the category Detonics Pistols on GunsAmerica.

Your help is appreciated.

You used Kimber and Taurus in the same sentence kinda made me feel queasy.. :):

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

:laugh::laugh: sorry i found that a bit whimsical.

Seriously though, buy a Springfield Loaded or a Colt Series 70 reproduction. Both are great guns under $1k.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    You didn't list the two biggest parameters for your search. Budget and purpose.

Without knowing these, and based on what you've said, I'd recommend something from the Springfield Armory line. Either a GI, Mil-spec, loaded, or range officer model.
    Take a Springfield GI, put an 18 pound spring in it, and you have one of the best 1911's you can get for under 600 IMO.

If you go the Springfield route, always change the spring out (can't speak for the loaded and range officer models), else you'll be plagued with FTF's. With a proper spring weight, it'll run flawless.

airmotive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    You looking for full sized? Commander? Officer?
    My wife's daily carry is a Colt Defender with CT grips.
    Mine is a Colt New Agent.

Her Defender has been a no-muss, no-fuss nail driver.
    My Agent didn't care for some hollow-point ammo, so my solution was Pow'rBalls, which the 'ugly little gun' consumes with glee.

I admit that these are my only venture onto 1911 territory. But I find them both to be comfortable to carry and easy to shoot well.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    I appreciate all the info and good humor and will consider all the great INGO input.

My budget is $800.00 but can stretch it a bit and can postpone a new holster. I have a Bianchi mil-spec holster for a 1911 that was being used for a large .40 cal auto and can get by with that for trips to the range.

Has anyone shot the new Remmington 1911 R1 ?

I'm still open to a compact carry 1911 (not sub) or a full frame.

Whatever I end up with, night sights will be next on the list.

Thanks !

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I had a para ordnance slim Hawg that was a 3" barrel and single stack 6+1 cap. That was right in your $800 budget. Great piece, light weight and reliable. Only complaint was the finish. Seemed to wear easily. I also currently have a Springfield champion loaded in stainless that I love as well that is in the same price range. Both great guns, that I would recommend to anyone. Good luck, and enjoy whatever you decide to get.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    ?????

You used Kimber and Taurus in the same sentence kinda made me feel queasy.. :):

Im happy you guys are laughing because I was thinking " WTF, Taurus bought Kimber? Or Armscorp bought them both, I knew Kimber wasnt buying those companies."

Thats like saying Im looking for a new car, Im very open minded about brand, just no brand new Mercedes and no 80s model Ford Fiestas.

I can dig not liking a certain company for whatever personal reason, but there should have been two seperate sentences from Kimber to Taurus. Not grouped together as one group of manufacturers.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I'm with Team Springer... I've owned several (Loaded / TRP in several sizes) over the years and have been pleased with every one. A good set of Night Sites and an Ambi Safety are standard on everything I have carried.

If you find yourself looking for a holster, but don't have much $$$ after the purchase, drop me a line... See if I have anything I'd let go for a good price.

-GNRPowdeR

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Im happy you guys are laughing because I was thinking " WTF, Taurus bought Kimber? Or Armscorp bought them both, I knew Kimber wasnt buying those companies."

Thats like saying Im looking for a new car, Im very open minded about brand, just no brand new Mercedes and no 80s model Ford Fiestas.

I can dig not liking a certain company for whatever personal reason, but there should have been two seperate sentences from Kimber to Taurus. Not grouped together as one group of manufacturers.

I am not sure why the OP is discounting Kimber in his search, for his price point of $800 he could easily get into a used Kimber full sized or compact with a full sized frame. In my humble opinion the Kimber is a better 1911 than any he has mentioned as considerations. I can only speculate that maybe he has been misinformed and thinks Kimber is a low end 1911 like Taurus. Or that he or someone he knows had a bad experience with a Kimber. I can say that out of all the 1911's I have owned I have never fallen in love with any as much as my Kimber. If I were to go to a different 1911 from here I would have to go to a full blown custom like Wilson Combat or Les Bear.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    I have found that its better to buy used quality than new less than quality. I sell and service outdoor power equipment and am a Stihl dealer. I would sell anyone a 15 year old Stihl, any model, over a new Homelite or whatever brands at Walmart today. Dont make this a chainsaw thread as yes I know old Homelites were great chainsaws.

My point is I would take a holster worn Springfield Loaded A1, or pretty much any model Kimber over a brand new never fired Armscorps or Taurus.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    KImber, Colt, Springfield all make great guns that you can find in your price range.

Good luck in your search and make sure you post some pics when you get one :rockwoot:

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    This might sound crazy but I have owned a few 1911's. In the lower end I had good luck with a Rock Island, although its cheap it was also accurate. Right now I carry a Para but I have also had the remington. The Remington shot very well but its wasnt perfect. The Springfield Loaded seems to be a great gun. I have shot them but not owned them. If I were you, I would talk to people on here and see if you cant find someone to let you put a few rounds through one of thiers. I know I am willing to let you shoot the para if you would like.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Heres another way to look at buying a 1911...think of it this way. If I told you, "Don't buy a Colt, Kimber or a Springfield Armory 1911, they are crap."...you'd know I was crazy. There's your answer. Always go with a traditional model first. If you find you need all the bells and whistles...someone will gladly buy the classic one from you. Then go out and get exactly what you need.

Top Bottom