• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Again, I really do appreciate all the posts as I sort this out. Springfield in general is high on my list.

Also, I didn't intentionally group Kimber and Taurus together as a slam to either one or to imply that they are at the same level. Whatever you have at the time of need is better than not having anything. Better can be subjective. Preference is still part of freedom. Proven is what I'm after along with function and form.

The Kimber Compact Carry series was on my radar but kind of fell off but I'm trying to warm up to Kimber again. Yes they are very fine weapons and if you have one, great.

If I can find what I'm looking for this weekend, then it may be a done deal. If not, then online I go for an FFL transfer. There's another gun show coming to Fort Wayne at the end of the month but small gun shows seem overpriced to me and they don't seem to eager to deal.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    There is a nice Springfield Loaded for sale in the classified right now for $650. If it were stainless I'd have already bought it.

Be sure to check that posting out.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Looks like there are 2 Springfield Loaded models in the WTS listings at fair prices. Making the rounds to some of the dealers this weekend. Springfield is in the top three but Sig has some really nice stuff in modern 1911 variations.

Bet they didn't have this problem in the old West. A Colt, some ammo and a horse. A good bath in town once a month, a hooker and some rot gut whiskey.

Now days, we have choices out the whazooo !

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    You might check out the STI lines also. Last time I looked I could get a KImber Pro carry II for right at $760 cash NIB, thyat was awhile back so they might of went up some.
    I got the Remington R1, will take all my Kimbers over it any day hands down.
    Never owned a Para or a Sig, but they felt like good guns, when I was fondling them.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I had pretty much the same stipulations regarding a 1911 and wound up with a kimber stainless II.

Everything you need, nothing you don't. Good bare boned service grade weapon. Oddly, one of the biggest selling points for me was the weight, and slimness of it. It seemed to weigh a hell of a lot less than everything else out there while still being a fully steel gun. The polymer mainspring housing is a plus in my book considering how much weight it shaves off. I have a bin of 1911 parts laying around, and my plastic mainspring housing is staying where it is, I can't believe it makes such a huge difference in weight.

I had some personal issues with springfields and colts. I loved some of the S&Ws and hold them in the highest regard of any of the production 1911s out there, but they were too far from a traditional 1911 for my tastes, and what I actually wanted.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that "everything else is just a copy" when it comes to colt. If everything else is a copy, the copies are sure made a hell of a lot better, and are also far more respected, at a lower price point. I doubt someone who buys an ed brown secretly wishes it was a colt.

And if you go through some taurus 1911s, you will eventually find one made right that will surprise the pants off of you. Sometimes they manage to let a really nicely made one escape.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I looked alot this year, before I purchased a Colt. In the end, the only others I considered were Kimber and Springfield. Being the 100 year annv., I had to get the Colt (something I want to hand down). I have been very happy so far.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In the world of 1911's think about the very maximum you want to spend. Get you money all ready. Now, stay at home until you save at least $300 more. With the extra cash, go buy the one that really makes you happy. If you "give up" a feature or two to buy in your first price range, it will cost you far more to have it added later. Plus a deluxe model will always bring a higher trade in than a customized base model with the same features.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Well, I set out today to bring home a new weapon and learned much along the way. I passed on a very nice Colt 1911 and all the dealer would have had to do to close the deal was toss me a bone by taking $50.00 off. He read me wrong and I walked away from the deal, cash still in my pocket. I'm glad I did too. Looking back at the gun, it was wrong for me based on feel. Just like a knife. If it doesn't feel right, it isn't. No exceptions. No compromise.

I think the post from LEO nails it. (Thanks LEO). I know what I want now and don't want to jack around with upgrades. I'm a shooter, not a gunsmith and want to get to know a new firearm asap without drooling online for upgrades or wishing I would have stretched to the next level. The 1911/.45 remains the goal but with a little twist toward the future.

Thanks again for everyone's input. INGO is a great resource and a solid place to exercise some verbal freedoms.

Once the deal is done, I will update this post for the few who stumble across these pages.

btw: I looked at some very nice Kimbers but they just don't call my name. A few of you know what that means. We have choices and that's a great thing to have.

hoosier7400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Evansville Indiana
    SR1911. That is a super looking pistol. I just cant seem to find one yet. After Jan, Ruger is supposed to really start cranking them out. Hickok45 has been rubbing it in in every range video! If you have to get one now I guess and price is important get the GI model Rock Island. I hear good things.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    I know ill get bashed..but the most economical and best bang for the buck if your looking for simple is Springfield. I carry and love my 1911 GI. No bells, no whistles, no shine. Its as was issued. Good for locked/cocked carry. Not everyone is a big guy like me which makes it easier to carry so if its not comfy..get one that is...no sense it rubbing or gouging and you dont wear it when needed.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    I had a Rem R-1, but had issues with the trigger, upgraded to SA A-1 loaded (springfield)I LOVE the feel & weight. The bigger beavertail eliminates any trigger bite. Match grade trigger and extended guide rod is all standard. You can pick them up for around 725.oo, it's a great gun.

Top Bottom