• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Not sure if this is the right Forum but.... I have a S&W Mod 28-2 that I can't get the cylinder open. The cylinder turns, hammer cocks and trigger works but the cylinder latch won't move forward to release the cylinder. The latch will move backwards but not forward. I learned my lesson about taking guns apart I don't know anything about so is there anyone that could help me out? Also I seem to remember that you could buy replacement red ramp inserts for the front sight or possibly even make your own out of plastic. I have one that needs replaced. Thanks for any help... :yesway:

Pics added. Sorry for poor quality but it's raining today and had to shoot them inside.

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

Mod 29 front sight;
    IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you can get it open try tightening the ejector rod. Be sure and put three empty cases (or snap caps) in the cylinder to keep the extractor from shearing off the two small pins that keep it in place while you are tightening the rod. The model 28 was never made with an insert but many have them (mine included). You are in possesion of one of the finest handguns ever made. It is built like a tank and it sounds like over time the ejector rod got loose. If these instructions are not clear please feel free to call me at the shop and I will befuddle and confuse you over the phone rather than the net.

Rick
    812-725-1911

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    If you were closer I could take care of it for you.
    It's kind of hard to walk you through it, but has the latch been replaced?
    My model 58 had similar problems, the latch was replaced with a new one and was slightly out of spec and caused it to bind, couple times it would lock up pretty good.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    ejector rod is loose....if you can't get it open ....grab the rod with some plastic tweezers and turn it in and she should pop open...

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Your cylinder problem is almost certainly due to latch bolt either bound up (as geronimo said) or a bad spring in your ejector rod. You could, if careful, take a very skinny flat head screwdriver or knife blade and work it between the cylinder and frame, pushing the rod in enough to release.

Does your front sight already have a ramp or is it blued? If it's already there, kits are available to form new ones. If not, you can take a triangular file to the front sight and then get the kit form a new one. I'll check around in a moment and send a link if I can find it.

Edit: Pricey, but here ya go: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22791/Product/FRONT-SIGHT-INSERT-KIT

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I don't think the ejector rod is the problem. I can get a small jewelers screw driver between the ejector rod and plunger(?) at the end of the bbl and it moves freely. The rod turns freely when the cylinder is turned as well. The latch won't move forward at all. It will move to the rear but not forward. The factory front red ramp is missing and someone tried to fill the space with some soft red substance of unknown origin. I just got this gun and the latch worked when I inspected it but now it won't budge. A Mod 28 was my 1st handgun when I was about 17 years old. It was a blast so I want to get this one fixed up and enjoy it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Most likely as ghitch said, this is usually traced to an ejector rod that has started to unscrew, try his advice.

No Go.... tried that and it still won't open. I think the latch is binding on something inside and I don't have the experience to tear into it. The thing weighs about 12 pounds so I could just beat someone into submission if the need arises! :rolleyes:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    No Go.... tried that and it still won't open. I think the latch is binding on something inside and I don't have the experience to tear into it. The thing weighs about 12 pounds so I could just beat someone into submission if the need arises! :rolleyes:

True- or just sell it...cheap....to me:laugh:

Just kiddin, I hope you get something figured out on it.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    There's a few YouTube videos, I think midwayUSA has one, and they talk about doing a trigger job, if you watch carefully you can figure out how to take apart and put together the lockwork. I think the midwayUSA video is on a 686 but the workings are so similar that if you pulled both apart side by side you couldn't tell the difference.

If that doesn't give you enough confidence, I'll be passing through Indy on Sunday 01APR I could take a look.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    If you take off the sideplate with the three screws you can figure out what's wrong. Take off the three screws and then turn the gun with the sideplate facing down. Rap on the backstrap with a wooden stick(hammer works well) and the sideplate will fall free onto a soft cloth. Look at online videos to see what's going on in there.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I vote ejector rod unscrewed. S&W turns anti-clockwise from the rear. Happens to be the direction to unscrew the rod. Just spent 5 minutes messing with my Combat Masterpiece. The cylinder latch uses the spring in the cylinder to hold it rearward. If it will only move backward the rear of the cylinder is unlatched. The front latch is the one holding things up. Use tweezers to turn ejector rod tight direction.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The Ejector rod is unscrewed. It has left hand threads.

I have gotten some VERY good deals on locked up S&W revolvers over the years. About 30 seconds after I got the gun in my car, I had a functioning revolver. After I got home, I tightened the rod so it wouldn't happen again.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I bathed it in CLP. I'll try again this evening I'm to frustrated to work on it anymore. I was wondering about having this and the 4" Model 29 coated. The finish on both is pretty rough. ;)
    I can help, I have had problems like this B4, and have helped two other people fix their guns ... PM me, and we can meet ...

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I had the same issue when I got my 629-1 for free! I took the side plate off it and managed to use a screwdriver to push the center thingie loose and a good bit of grease and 10 minutes, I have a nicely working S&W 629-1 of 1981 vintage.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Lots of good advice. Ok, I took the side plate off and the cylinder latch is supposed to fit into a small hole in the frame and push the pin in the cylinder to release it. The latch does NOT go into the hole and I've tried for an hour to guide it in there! It looks as if the thing is bent! I have no idea how it could have gotten bent. Also it is very dirty. grungy. nasty and filthy in there! Sheeesshhhhhhh... :xmad:

Top Bottom