• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Lots of good advice. Ok, I took the side plate off and the cylinder latch is supposed to fit into a small hole in the frame and push the pin in the cylinder to release it. The latch does NOT go into the hole and I've tried for an hour to guide it in there! It looks as if the thing is bent! I have no idea how it could have gotten bent. Also it is very dirty. grungy. nasty and filthy in there! Sheeesshhhhhhh... :xmad:

Sometimes the hole isn't perfectly rounded and after repeatedly being forced, it gives. In any event, glad you found the problem.:rockwoot: If you check on the S&W forums, somebody will have the latch you need as well as giving you advice on how to smooth out hole.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Sometimes the hole isn't perfectly rounded and after repeatedly being forced, it gives. In any event, glad you found the problem.:rockwoot: If you check on the S&W forums, somebody will have the latch you need as well as giving you advice on how to smooth out hole.

That operation might be above my pay grade. If it were a 22 I might try it but a 357 Mag I want to be sure everything is done properly. I'll get some pics tomorrow after a good scrubbing out. Would it be ok to use carb/choke cleaner to spray out the internals with?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    That operation might be above my pay grade. If it were a 22 I might try it but a 357 Mag I want to be sure everything is done properly. I'll get some pics tomorrow after a good scrubbing out. Would it be ok to use carb/choke cleaner to spray out the internals with?

It's probably just a burr that you could file quickly and easily. It's also probably there from someone else monkeying around in it. If your not comfortable, any gunsmith should be able to smooth it out- cheap.

The cleaner will be fine to use. Just remember to give everything a very thin coat of rem oil or synthetic motor oil when finished cleaning.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Have you taken the gun apart or just looking at with parts in place? The part you are talking about is called the BOLT. Have you removed the cylinder release on outside of gun yet? I don't know what you have done yet so sorry if I repeat anything.
    With sideplate off and mainspring removed(screw in front of grip frame), pull trigger back just until firing pin clears frame and slip(DON'T FORCE you can bend pin)hammer up off its pin. Let the trigger go back forward. If you haven't removed bolt already their is a SMALL spring and plunger that fits into the back of bolt, with the cylinder release removed on outside of gun lift the bolt up being careful to not lose the spring and plunger. Some guns it is easier to pull bolt back and lift front(the part that goes thru frame below firing pin) of bolt out first, some guns just lifting on rear of bolt work fine. Now that bolt is loose from gun does the pin part slip thru the hole in the frame,(where it normally goes) if you can get it lined up close enough. If it fits thru hole in frame the frame is OK. If you are sure the bolt is bent try to straighten it, you don't have nothing to lose if you can't. If you can't get it straight enough to work you will have to order a new one. ($25 IIRC).
    I can't imagine bending a bolt, unless gun was improperly taken apart, or dropped somehow.
    Goes back together same way just use a small screwdriver to push plunger and spring into bolt as you push it in the last little bit.

Hope this helps and I understood you correctly with the part you were dealing with.
    Good Luck

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    If you are sure the extractor rod is not the problem, I would remove the thumbpiece and see if you can operate the bolt with the thumbpiece removed. If that doesn't work, time to remove the sideplate and see what's going on in there.

Don't know how I did it, but I missed a whole page of this thread. Sounds like all bases have been covered.

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Thumb piece and side plate removed. Bolt will not slip into hole in frame. I've tried to guide it into place with small screw drivers and it just won't line up with the hole. I'm not going to try to fiddle with it any further. I will try to take some pics and then spray out the insides with Card/Brake cleaner and take more pics. Thanks for all the info guys. :yesway:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Added some pics and tried to work on it a bit more. Beyond my skillz. Sorry for poor pic quality but you should be able to get an idea of the problem.

arctic427

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Indy
    If ur still having the problem with ur 28 give me a call and I we can set something up Ill come fix it for ya.........317 407 7254.........John Kroeger.

Top Bottom