• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for the ongoing discussion, guys.

I dug out the stock it came with. It was not even as good as I remembered, which triggered my memory about why I got a different stock. I mean, it isn't terrible - it is useable. And it has a matching number on it, which has a certain cachet. But, really, it isn't ideal.

Mine came with the duckbill detachable 30 rd. metal mag and internal 10 rd. Dunno what model it is, but it always worked once you made sure it was in solid.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've never sold a gun, and don't plan on it. Having said that, this one would be the first, if necessary. Would rather have the gun in a configuration that I like, so I/we shoot it more. :)

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I have one I want to do the ak mag conversion but people always poo poo that idea. Saying just buy an ak. I have an ak. I also have an sks. That needs to take ak mags. The conversion mags are stupid as all get out also. So I still haven't come up with anything and it's just sitting around.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I just saw a AK mag conversion video today. If it weren't for the welding, I'd take a shot at it. It's not a problem to weld, it's just that it's rather permanent. I like the idea though because I hate the duckbill.

Matt

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wouldn't put any money into an SKS. In factory config they run ok. At the end of the day it's still an SKS.

Same with these Mosin rifles. Seen people put tons of gunsmith in and stock on them and they are still an 80 dollar rifle at best.

Appreciate them for the historical value. I would keep the SKS as it is or sell it and get you a new 870 and some ammo

Forget the tacticool stuff, put it back into a proper factory stock the way its meant to be. SKS is a solid rifle in factory configuration.

Keep it the same or restore to its original military configuration it was good enough for soldiers fighting in backwards lands its good enough for your trunk gun. Don't bubba up mil surp rifles its not worth it, it diminishes the value and usually ends up looking like crap and not working any better than it did before.

Thanks for the ongoing discussion, guys.

I dug out the stock it came with. It was not even as good as I remembered, which triggered my memory about why I got a different stock. I mean, it isn't terrible - it is useable. And it has a matching number on it, which has a certain cachet. But, really, it isn't ideal.

Quick update. So, sometime this year, I did actually return it to the original stock (with the addition of a fixed power scope that isn't "correct" but I appreciate the magnification). But, I couldn't find the bayonet.

UNTIL LAST NIGHT! w00t! I had my SKS extra stuff in a box, and I thought I'd put it there. Instead, I'd put it in a different box with miscellaneous gun stuff.

Need to zero the scope, but the hood is locked in tight so it shouldn't be a problem.

At some point, will probably post up all the SKS accessories I've collected over the years (2 stocks, bipod, etc.) for sale or trade, because I'm now diggin' the wood furniture. As noted above, it is just an SKS. Modern, really-designed-to-be-bullpups have my attention for that application.

Top Bottom