• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    Ive been looking at the 9mm shield lately. Held it and liked the way it felt in my hand. Was wanting to input from people that actually own one of these guns, any negatives about these guns.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I don't own one. I did hear that there was some problems with the safety clicking on or off when it wasn't intended to. That might be fixed or a remote issue. Just what I heard that turned me off from them.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have owned my for maybe 6 months and I dont have any issues to report. Everything I feed it, it eats. I am 100% satisfied with mine.

BoomstickBuff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have the Shield in 9mm. Overall, I've been happy with it so far - it shoots well, has been reliable, and feels good in my hand. I'd recommend it as a good option to consider; whether it is the right gun for you will depend a great deal on how it feels to you, fits your hand, etc. If you can find a way to shoot one before you lay down the cash, that would be a great way to help make the decision ... where are you located?

freddahead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Hammond
    I hate my shield 40 because of the flippy recoil. The trigger pull is very rough also. I suspect the firing pin safety in the slide is a bit gritty, causing the rough feel. As far as the flippy recoil goes, I'll look for recoil springs and try to smooth it out. With any luck, I'll warm up to it before I sell it!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have the Shield in 9mm. Overall, I've been happy with it so far - it shoots well, has been reliable, and feels good in my hand. I'd recommend it as a good option to consider; whether it is the right gun for you will depend a great deal on how it feels to you, fits your hand, etc. If you can find a way to shoot one before you lay down the cash, that would be a great way to help make the decision ... where are you located?

I have handled one several times. I like the way it feels in my hand. Maybe a tad top heavy with empty mag, but not a deal breaker for sure. I am drawn to it since it shares some familiarity with my FS M&P 9.

I would love to shoot one before I actually buy it though. I would hate to buy it and find out I don't like the recoil or some other aspect of it.

I'd throw an Ameriglo sight set on there so I have roughly the same sight picture as my M&P.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've got one in 40, had it about a year, Carry it 3-4 days a week, in a IWB and only been detected once when I bent over to plug in a lamp, Got about 350+ rounds through it, never had any problems with feeding or shooting, Don't know about the safety, never used it. I alternate between my ruger LCP and the Shield fell covered pretty well when I carry it.

I would not hesitate to recommend

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    The Shield 9 is a great gun. I have owned one for almost a year and it is accurate, feels right in your hand and conceals very nicely.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I've carried mine for over a year and it's a good EDC. I like the concealability of the single stack, but I do miss the capacity of my 9c. I chose the Shield simply because I was just starting to carry regularly and knew I would carry consistently if I felt it would go undetected.

I have had trouble with the safety disengaging when I wear it with a Kydex holster but not with leather holsters. Also, shoot it before you buy it - I was less accurate with it than my other M&P line pistols. Overall, I have been very pleased with it and have put more than a few rounds down range.

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    I've owned the 9mm Shield since the week it was first released. I was instantly drawn to the ergonomics of it. I've put a little over 1000 rds of various ammo through it without a single failure and I find it's accuracy to exceed that of other guns in that size category. The trigger is better than the other M&P series guns and the recoil is significantly less than other 20 oz. 9mm's. It's a great size to carry in the summer. If there is a drawback, I think the factory sights are less than ideal for low light situations but that is easily rectified.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Had one that I carried iwb for a while. Sold it and got a xds.

i never liked the safety on the shield. I'm much more comfortable with the two passive safeties on the xds, and I never have any issues engaging the safety properly even when trying to make it malfunction. It's a much better design for me.

and for some reason, the xds conceals better for me in a white hat holster. The butt end of the shield had a little poke in my shirt that the xds doesn't. But then again, I'm a little skinny guy and I wear tigh-tish shirts.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I love my 9mm version. Make sure you are comfortable with the grip. It feels slightly uncomfortable with the seven shot mag, and I have probably slightly above average hands. Just a weird feeling with pinkie finger exposed. The eight mag with extension feels better.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I like the xds better. I've shoot a relatives shield and couldn't get comfortable with it. Figure out how to shoot them both then decide.

IndyTacoma

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Avon
    Great little 9mm in my opinion. Mine has been very accurate for the size. I'm on my second one. Had one sold it and regretted selling so I replaced it. No issues to report for either one.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I have had mine since June new from USDS. I have several springfield xd's and I like this pistol more than any of them.
    Have around 2k rounds through it with no problems. It is also the most comfortable pistol I have carried.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Had mine for quite some time now, a couple months after release. 9mm, has been 100% & doesn't have trigger safety issue. I have no complaints with accuracy, trigger, etc.. For deeper cc, I carry it, for "I don't care if it prints" I carry M&Pc in .45 (apex trigger kit).

I'd buy the shield again with hesitation.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I love mine, never had any issues with the safety. Its easy to swipe off but hard to engage witch is a huge plus in my book. Plus it has great ergos and a lot less recoil than 9MM's of comparable size (kel-tec im looking at you)

Top Bottom