• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I've got a Mossberg 500 in 12GA that I'd like to make some changes to. Specifically, I'd like to remove the existing stock and put a TacStar adapter on it so I can put an adjustable AR-type Magpul stock and pistol grip on it. I have recently acquired a 590 with a similar configuration and have really felt comfortable with it. It's been nice to be able to adjust it for the different shooters in the family.

My question is, and maybe I'm overthinking this, is that I know I'll need to get a buffer tube in order to attach the Magpul stock...should I be worried about what kind of buffer weight and spring to use since this is a 12GA rather than an 556 AR?

I've never made this mod myself before, so I'd love to hear some input from anyone who may have done this to their shotgun before.

Thanks in advance for any experience you can share!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I googled Adjustable stock for mossberg 500. Lots of options out there with pistol grips included. No need for an adapter that way. Extended mag tubes also.
    Midway USA had a great selection.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    500's are great guns, and there is no end to the mods you can make, They, like 870's are adaptable to anyones like/purposes.. for the stock, you do need a long screw driver...found this out the hard way. OP, good luck, and keep us informed, always looking forward to seeing INGO members guns, and modifications.... Pictures please!!!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I believe everyone has their right to make a choice.

I have shot a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 since maybe 1971. Before you buy the tacticool stock set up, I just want to ask, have you ever fired one with the AR stock? The little telescopic stock works fine on an AR because the rifle has no recoil. A 12 gauge pump gun DOES have recoil, and making it lighter with a smaller buttpad will increase felt recoil. .

(I know, just be quiet grandpa........)

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    A pistol grip stocked shotgun is handy, but it does magnify the recoil. I like the Aguila shorty shells for that purpose. Easy drop in piece that lets you shoot the shorties reliably in a 500. When this is in, you can only shoot the shorty shells, but just pop it out to shoot normal shells. OpSol Mini-clip. https://www.opsolmini-clip.com/
    If you're a little more mechanically inclined, Defender Tactical makes one that allows you to shoot the Shorty Shells all the way up to 3". https://defendertactical.com/products/universal-minishell-adapter
    I use the Defender Tactical one in my 500's and 590's.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My son turned a perfectly good 870 into a tacticool POS. He shot ONE slug out of it. But it looks cool, I guess. The AR stock ain't all that.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I believe everyone has their right to make a choice.

I have shot a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 since maybe 1971. Before you buy the tacticool stock set up, I just want to ask, have you ever fired one with the AR stock? The little telescopic stock works fine on an AR because the rifle has no recoil. A 12 gauge pump gun DOES have recoil, and making it lighter with a smaller buttpad will increase felt recoil. .

(I know, just be quiet grandpa........)
    No worries "Pops"...this is the kind of feedback I was looking for! Miguel's heart and mind welcomes all opinions! :D

I have owned the 12 for 20+ years in the "standard" configuration, but just fired a 20 GA with this configuration, using slugs and #3 buck. I know there is more kick in 12 than 20, but I am a larger guy and don't mind it. I will usually pop 20-25 rounds off with 'em rather than trying for the 100-round box marathons some people on YouTube attempt.

Worst case, if it gets too much for me, I'll put it in the classifieds or include it in my will to the kid I like least. :):

Reactions: Leo

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    What magpul stock? For quick adjustment maybe a CTR?
    The "enhanced recoil pad" for Magpul stocks like that IMHO don't do much for recoil.
    Have not decided yet. Not married to Magpul, just came to mind as a popular brand to mention.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I confess, I'm not sure what kind of Magpul AR stock you're wanting to use. However, my dad had me install a Blackhawk collapsible stock with pistol grip and a forearm kit on his Rem 870 Marine Magnum. The kit was specific to the gun and was an easy installation. Very AR collapsible stock styling and even has the QD sling posts on both sides.
    After I installed his stock set, I looked for one for the Mossberg 500 and they did list a kit for it. Might be an option to look at

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    My son turned a perfectly good 870 into a tacticool POS. He shot ONE slug out of it. But it looks cool, I guess. The AR stock ain't all that.
    Appreciate the feedback!

I have a Turkish Mauser so I'm familiar with recoil, unfortunately. Every time I take it out of the safe it beats me over the head and tells me how many rounds I get that particular day.

Then I have to take him for gyros afterwards. :)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I confess, I'm not sure what kind of Magpul AR stock you're wanting to use. However, my dad had me install a Blackhawk collapsible stock with pistol grip and a forearm kit on his Rem 870 Marine Magnum. The kit was specific to the gun and was an easy installation. Very AR collapsible stock styling and even has the QD sling posts on both sides.
    After I installed his stock set, I looked for one for the Mossberg 500 and they did list a kit for it. Might be an option to look at
    Mossberg itself did sell a kit at one time, but it has been "out of stock" for like two years. Maybe I'll dig deeper into Google results to find one. I'm suspicious of any on eBay or Amazon, since so much of that is fake.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've seen the Magpul traditional style furniture for those and they look sharp. As I recall its not pistol grip but they do angle the grip a bit steeper before transitioning into the blade section. So its a bit of a hybrid.

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I have an old Knoxx Spec Ops gen 1 recoil reducing stock on my 500, and I absolutely love it. It's a brilliant design. It greatly reduces the felt recoil, it's adjustable, and resembles an AR stock. I don't think the older gens are available anymore, but there are newer versions which I'd assume work just as well, if not better

Top Bottom