• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Supplemental: For the past 9 years I've bought used mowers (someone else's problem) about every year or two. I'm looking for something that will last a while.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'll say this much, when I bought my first house 12 years ago my dad gave me his old used Lawn Boy that was self propelled. It was old when he gave it to me and had spent it's life to that point going through marshy wet sludge in a nasty little easement they have. That's why they got the self propelled. I used that mower routinely for 9 years in typical sized yards in subdivisions. When I moved to a couple acres I gave it back after abusing the crap out of the thing as a small self propelled bush hog. I never replaced blades, only sharpened. I never had any mechanical problems, only added oil to fuel, greased zirts, and sharpened blades. That Lawn boy was bombproof, and it's still running to this day. If I were to buy one today, that'd be my vote right now, period.

Many, many years ago my sister and I bought my brother a Craftsman self propelled push mower from Sears for a wedding present. It was brand new and couple hundred bucks and burned up in a less than 3 or 4 years. Granted my brother isn't the tinkering change oil & grease stuff for fun kind of guy, but still that mower should have lasted longer.

**Edit** - Just remembered, the little cable that goes from the handle of the mower to the lever on the motor that controls the self propelled drive of the mower broke on me. I replaced it once with thin cable and that broke and that was my fault, then I replaced it with some heavy duty cable and it's still on there today as far as I know. $20 or less in parts, half hour in, two beers to help concentrate.

Last edited:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Screw the budget, buy a Honda...

Edit: This coming from an ex "Lawn Toy" owner

Double Edit: BTW I spend ALL DAY around lawn mowers. The Hondas just simply have more power, last longer and give a better cut especially in thick grass than any other "homeowner" grade mower.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Craftsman is all i buy and ive never had an issue. One i have now is self propelled with briggs n stratton engine. Its 6 years old and starts first pull.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I had a husquavarna chain saw, it was complete junk. They had a plastic chain slack adjuster screw that stripped out in no time at all. Not sure about their push mowers but I wouldnt try them.

I would think a Honda would fit your budget and be long lasting.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    They are all a crap shoot now. I passed a Lawn Boy down to my daughter that is still running after 23 years. I have an older Craftsman that just started with just 3 pulls. I also have a 3 year old John Deere that is far less reliable than the other two.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Craftsman is all i buy and ive never had an issue. One i have now is self propelled with briggs n stratton engine. Its 6 years old and starts first pull.

6 years? Amateur. I bought my Craftsman ("Eager 1" engine which is Tecumseh) the day we closed on our house in 1999. It was the only mower I ever used there until we moved to a place that required a tractor last fall. Thats 15 years. In the last 3 years of those 15 years, my son also used it to mow 3 or 4 other lawns every week....and towed it behind his bicycle around the neighborhood.

Still starts every time and runs strong.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I don't think they make 2 cycle lawn mowers anymore. I could be wrong but I think this was a topic of discussion I started a couple of years ago.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have a Toro GTS that I've had for 10 years. GTS stood for Guaranteed to Start..... it lives up to it's name. I've had to replace the belt, the front propel wheels, and the cable for the self propel. Only complaint is that it could use another horse or two..... You can get them at Lynhurst Lawnmower. Corner of Michigan and Gasoline Alley behind Allison.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    The old Lawn Boys were a 2 cycle engine and some of them ran forever. I really don't know what all they are powered with today. Some are Honda, some are Kohler so some may be great and others dogs. One real draw back to me on the Lawn Boy is the height of cut . They only go up to 3.75" If you are trying to mulch leaves or like to cut your lawn at 4" than you are out of luck. The Honda mowers adjust higher.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Craftsman today, doesn't have any resemble lance to the Craftsman of yesteryear. Stay away.

Purchase a Honda, take care of it, and you can pass it on.
    You want rear wheel drive, not front, which Honda has.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    When our house was built in 1998, I almost bought a high-end mower, but couldn't decide on self-propelled or "plain".

I decided on an inexpensive Yard Man from Lowes or Walmart (can't remember which) that wasn't self-propelled. I figured I'd use the cheap one for a few seasons, then get a better one later.

17 years later and with one wheel replaced, that Yard Man is still mowing grass. Although the steel body is getting ready to rust through and I think this may be it's last season.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Screw the budget, buy a Honda...

Edit: This coming from an ex "Lawn Toy" owner

Double Edit: BTW I spend ALL DAY around lawn mowers. The Hondas just simply have more power, last longer and give a better cut especially in thick grass than any other "homeowner" grade mower.

We bought a Honda self propelled push mower 9 years ago...that thing starts on the first pull....every time. I have replaced the blades three times, I have put on three sets of wheels, and I change the oil and air filter once every season. It has never let me down.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Oh.......how could I forget.

You need a Flymo!

[video=youtube;SVXX_UyXmSg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVXX_UyXmSg[/video]

Top Bottom